No announcement yet.

The Quixotic Adventures of Sancho Panza--A Greek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, actually, he has three moves with that army. but he is not going to bash into a hill city on the frontier where he suspects i've got a number of units fortified.

he is trying to make me spread out for one thing and he wants to make his escape after being wounded in battle for another.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr
      well, actually, he has three moves with that army. but he is not going to bash into a hill city on the frontier where he suspects i've got a number of units fortified.

he is trying to make me spread out for one thing and he wants to make his escape after being wounded in battle for another.
      I agree, but having your army there would put it in a position to take out Alex's if he does move on marathon (he would get one attack and I believe you have two units there) and is seriously injured. He would either be forced to take on the army or to reset his offensive.
      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Sword - Hoplite - Hoplite?

The way the army bonuses work, I don't understand that mix.

The attack points add up to 5, the defense points to 8. Since it is divided by 6 and rounds down, you get no attack bonus, and a +1 defense bonus.

If you had gone sword-sword-hoplite, however, you would have attack and defense bonuses of +1 each, because the attack points and defense points would both add up to 7.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Two items in flimsy defense.

We got the army when stretched to the limit by simultaneous ai attack. It worked primarily to attack babs bowmen stacks. The sword killed a bowman and the hoplites assured survival.

To make a long story shorter, we didn't have two swords at the time.

Comment

That would explain it

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Makes perfect sense. Following this game is a blast. Thanks, jshelr.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I've got a MI+Sword+Hoplite Army, thankfully... but ya do what ya gotta do.

Go get'em, Greece!!
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Our troops regularly worship the great God RNG and he was on our side in the recent dustup with Trajan.

The Roman leader declared his leader Trajan a wimp and that he deserved to die.

That may have been harsh, for he did disrupt life for awhile.

This morning's problem is a combination of a bad reputation, which doesn't let me by tech for gpt anymore, and a stack of 20 barbarian horsemen that threatens to take away my gold stash.

We need to build a town near the barb hut and will have to settle for a disadvantageous hill position and move another town later. We will be lucky to get that as we are racing babs, egypt, and persia for the spot.

By the way, I don't recall what I did to deserve the bad rep?

Comment

Good job nailing his army. I thought that sucker was going to really cause you trouble. All in all, you did well.

Dunno about your rep. It's easy to overlook something that's not entirely in your control, and get screwed because of it.

-Arrian

Comment

Didn't you buy some techs for gpt fairly early on, and then have them declare war on you (courtesy of bribery by alexman?) That's enough to ruin your gpt rep, even though you weren't responsible for it.

Comment

Originally posted by vulture
                        Didn't you buy some techs for gpt fairly early on, and then have them declare war on you (courtesy of bribery by alexman?) That's enough to ruin your gpt rep, even though you weren't responsible for it.
                        You are correct. But they let me continue to do gpt deals after that happened. (I think )

I believed at the time that if they declared war, they did not hold me responsible. Let me go back and look.

It's probably better to do cash deals anyway. They give discounts for cash and we are far enough behind so it doesn't really matter if we wait a bit more.

Advice solicited: head for democracy or military tradition?

Not much war weariness in PBEM

Comment

Vulture, are you sure about that? I was thinking that if the AIs were the ones who declared war, GPT deals broken as a result wouldn't affect a civ's reputation.

On the other hand, if jshelr traded a luxury in a deal where an AI provided something up front, and declarations of war came about in an order that cut off a trade route while the deal was still active, I'm almost positive that that would mess up his trading reputation.

Comment

[SIZE=1] On the other hand, if jshelr traded a luxury in a deal where an AI provided something up front, and declarations of war came about in an order that cut off a trade route while the deal was still active, I'm almost positive that that would mess up his trading reputation.
                            No roads, harbors, or trade in lux or strat resources yet. Sounds weird, I know, but 3 things conspired to make it that way

1) it's a long way to the next civ
                            2) neighbors have usually been at war with us
                            3) coastal cities will be a pain in the ass once we get to marines.

We were building a road to the babs and were on the last tile when Trajan pillaged it and murdered the innocent worker.

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
                              Vulture, are you sure about that? I was thinking that if the AIs were the ones who declared war, GPT deals broken as a result wouldn't affect a civ's reputation.

On the other hand, if jshelr traded a luxury in a deal where an AI provided something up front, and declarations of war came about in an order that cut off a trade route while the deal was still active, I'm almost positive that that would mess up his trading reputation.
                              Well, I was sure. I wa sunder the impression that just about anything that cut off a per-turn deal involving the player hurt the players rep. If the AI declaring war didn't hurt your rep, it would be rather too easy to goad the AI in to war when you wnated to break the deal. Just keep on making those demands....

In the past, I've seen a situation where the AI did one of it's "I'm innocently moving my immortal next to your city, oh ally of mine" moves, and since I knew it was about to attack, I bought a few techs off it for gpt. And that ruined my reputation when Xerxes did the honours next turn.

that was way back in vanilla civ3 though - it might well have changed since then,

Comment

Turns out is was their investment bankers. We were regarded as poor credit risks with too much gpt outstanding

When a deal with the Persians came off, everybody was happy to do business with us again.

We bought two alliances cheaply from Egypt and Germany for 12 gpt total. We like those since if they flip on us they don't get paid

Persia is hot to trot on war with Rome and did an alliance for free. We should have asked them for gold, but it didn't occur to us.

The Babs have bowmen all over my lands, as per usual, and I'm a little worried about them. They are Alex's gateway to Greece and were reluctant to sign onto an alliance.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X