No announcement yet.

The Quixotic Adventures of Sancho Panza--A Greek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Looks like a spot of luck would help considerably.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

80 gold is a lot to give up at this stage in the game. If I was too weak to hold on, I would have spend the money, if I could. I often back off accumulating gold, when I am weak to prevent the AI from coming for it.

Comment

jshelr, that combat calculator seems much simpler to use than what i have at the moment.

care to point out a link to it ? (or mail it to me )

/edit: great story, BtW some bad luck, but hopefully you'll get some good RNG's too.

Comment

here is the one shown http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html

here is one for stack of units

Comment

The one used does not support C3C, it has no level for Demi or Sid.

Comment

Damn it

If stuff like this keeps happening I'm going to have to stop my incessant whining and admit that things could be worse

We caught a very lucky break when Ham of the Babs caved in and gave away the store for a peace deal. Sum total of Greek troops lost = zero.

Future strategy is subtle: build, build, build. Buy tech as cheaply as possible.

LIterature is widely held at this point. Check out this peace deal:
              Attached Files

Comment

See, I told you things could be worse

Upon meeting the Romans, we had no resources to bribe alliances. We tried, lamely, to make the Romans fall for a trade of literature. But they had the resources to bribe alliances and were not shy.

It's probably not as bad as it looks. (How could it look worse?) The main problem will be waiting until the alliance breaks down before tech trading takes place. Meantime, hoplites look pretty good.......
                Attached Files

Comment

Evidently, I'm a likable despot among those who know me best. My people are more happy than at anytime in the game

Most of the alliance against Greece can't get here in 20 turns and I presume nefarious behavior will occur within the large group of civs. We are going to tend to business at home, keeping cities closely spaced and as well protected as possible in an effort to outlast this situation.

Any and all good ideas are most welcome

How and when can we turn some civs against the perp who caused this in the first place

By the way, anyone who judges alexman insufficiently collegial for good game play should realize that there is a prisoners' dilemma problem here: if you don't do what he did, your opponent might well do it first.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Persians are nowhere in sight.

However, the next rotten development was that a retreating archer stumbled into the path of a babs bowman = Bab golden age.

So, there are stacks of regular bab bowmen approaching northern cities.

Here is the question: I want these guys to attack the hoplites and definitely not to pillage. Will building walls have the counterproductive result that the AI will avoid attacking? This is a critical question for the rapidly declining hopes for continued Greek civilization.

Excuse me while I hunt for Churchillian quotes about defending beaches and fields, towns and such.....

Comment

Hmm. I don't know the answer to that, but personally I wouldn't waste the shields on walls (being non-militaristic... at 10 shields, it's worth it, IMO). 20 shields = another hoplite or archer... or catapult if you have math.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I would suspect the AI will be loathed to attack a hop in walled town. I would prefer an archer, it gets the bombardment and prevents that lucky attack form taking the town.

The archer can go out and kill that wandering warrior.

Comment

Thanks for small gains. The nefarious and greedy, but, unfortunately for us, ironless Persians just switched sides and are at war with Rome.

They may be well placed to shield us from Alex SoD. I'm not worried much about attacking towns, but a stack of legionary pillaging would put the nail in the coffin of the diminishing chances we have to compete well in this game.

Big battle with the Bab's bowmen looms in a couple of turns.

By the way, it's very important for pbem players to take their lumps when losing. It's no fun to get ahead and have the other guy quit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Next turn, the babs sold me peace and currency for an arm and a leg.

Goals now are to hook up iron and wait for Alex SoD to work its way over here. I'm far enough behind on tech to make this feel like a Demi game

After the turn, egyptian units came into view. presumably this means Alex will bribe them to declare war next. However, all we really worry about are the neighboring babs and persians.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's a lot of money.

Did they have enough of a SoD to really threaten you?

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Those two peace deals will have you in a huge whole. It will fuel a lot of research for the AI or Alexman.

Did you consider spending the money on troops in stead? If you did and any survived, they would help down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X