This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was about to say game magazines...

But no, on reflection, what would the bunch of of project as the great un-'polyed masses out there?

Educated? Computer literate? Historically inquisitive? But maybe a touch older, and not aware of fan forums?

"Sunday was made for the New York Times."
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

This is something we need to do. We need to find some great DAR's to supply the great "story" that I convinced the Stories community to make.

Comment

Anyone? If we do not get a few good DAR's soon, we will lose this big opportunity.
        --
        If we were to have our own site (apolyton.net/au) what features would we want in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
          This is something we need to do. We need to find some great DAR's to supply the great "story" that I convinced the Stories community to make.
          well, that byzantine one (501, power of seafaring?) had some interesting versions. eg. aeson's "no military units" or theseus' "a city on every 2nd tile" and some other interesting ones

then some of the older OCCs (was it russia?) could make a great story. (some great powers of the past basicly consisted of just one single city: troy, babylon (iirc) )
          - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
          - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Master
            If we were to have our own site (apolyton.net/au) what features would we want in it?
            see the first post of mine in this thread

basicly:
            - good index and links
            - highlight DARs extracted
            - weekly (or more often) news on upcoming stuff, polls outcome ("what's the next topic?", etc)

maybe link the best strategy threads. CFC's strategy website started off really well, but imho now consists of various exploits (hardcode map whoring, etc.)

Comment

Someone has contacted me for making a possible site. If someone else would volunteer it would be a lot of help. Then, all we need is Markos' approval.

Comment

*bump*

FYI, I am still working on my final DAR for AU 503. It's brutal, in more ways than one.

Anyway, I bumped this in the context of the HoF/Tournaments. I'll try to find stuff on types of awards.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I do think that we should introduce some type of award system.
                  --
                  Are there any volunteers that would like to construct some of the Introduction Courses? I'd like to get them up as soon as possible. If you're interested, just post here, or PM me.

Comment

what do you mean with introduction courses?
                    those focussed plans on either rexing, leader generating, etc?

award system sounds good, though CFC is far ahead and they are doing a great job. they've got an own, more balanced points system, and lots and lots of players.

how were you thinking of differeciating from them?

oh, and btw: congrats to your promotion to staff! a good thing you kept hanging on

Comment

By Introduction Courses, I mean courses that focus on basics things, like pillaging, REXing, early rushing, and things like that. Essentially, we could have two courses for each lesson. The first course, would almost have a guide of some sorts, so you could really learn how to do the lesson. The next course, you would do it totally on your own, to see if you learnt anything.

Well, I'd rather not do a point system, as that seems really quite competitive to me. My idea was to have it closer to MZO's version, and then tweaking the voting ones (Best DAR) around a bit.

Thanks. I decided this after a few things happened.

Comment

i like that idea: "tutorial" and "test what you've learnt"

do we have some great players who'd be willing to document the early REXing and rushing?
                        some things are around in the strategy forum, like eg. the JW rush, the german archer rush, etc. may be usable for the tutorial part.

may i ask, what things happened? it looked really bad a few weeks ago. did you get a PC and C3C?

on the points system: i have no idea how it's like at MZO, so no input there from me.

Comment

You can see the awards in the HoF/Tournament thread.

Comment

i know, not much discussion has been done about AU awards (i don't mean HoF awards here), but i still thought i'd create variants of it.

my thoughts were:

IF we have honorary awards for apolyton university, then we

a) can have either one single award, which you either deserve or you don't (what the criteria and categories would count, has yet to be defined)

b) or we have several, ordered awards, for example eg. gold, silver, bronze

c) or we have one award per category, like "outstanding performance in AU courses", "outstanding contribution to the AU mod", etc.

d) a combination of the above.

e) something else...

aaaanyway... i started of doing something for a), which i have attached in this post
                            Attached Files

Comment

note: this was a hasty experiment... at this size, the AU text probably would have to be darker for more contrast.

then, i thought i could modify the palettes to fulfill variant b), so i added to the gold medal attached above, as silver medal...
                              Attached Files

Comment

and a bronze one...

again, i repeat: these are not the best i can do and definatly not the best possible. once decided, if, and what medals are going to be given, a contest would be needed anyway.

so, without further ado, the bronze:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X