Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AU 503: Pillage and Plunder

Originally posted by alexman
    Note: This game is probably harder than average for a given level.
    After playing to 1075 BC, I consider that a serious understatement.

Comment

This is an evil map

I smell a palace jump in my future.

Up to 3000BC or so.
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Are those spoilers above?
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Alexman's use of the word "probably" could (and, from a linguistic perspective, should) be interpreted as impllying that the difficulty is close enough to average that it is not entirely clear whether it is harder or not. That could set people up to significantly underestimate how hard the game really is when choosing what difficulty level to use, which could lead to a nasty surprise. My goal in pointing out that Alexman's words are a "serious understatement" was to give people a more accurate impression of how hard the game is to use as a basis for choosing their difficulty level. My apologies to anyone who regards the information as an unwanted spoiler.

Nathan

Comment

I actually had some more stuff in my post but deleted it for that reason.

I dont think Im giving TOO much away.
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Fine, fine, I've yielded to a dual-install. See how much I care about the AU?
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

I'm gonna give this a go too. The Sid challenge has given me so much of a headache that playing on regent even with alexmans reputed sadist tendencies will be nothing short of pleasure
                Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

hey alexman, where can I find such a nice map mod? and more importantly how do I install it. there seems to be some problem with snoopy's blue water, the shore half of the coast squares are regular green...
                  Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

The graphics in the screenshot are a mix of several versions of snoopy's mod. I'm pretty sure most of them came with PTW. Sorry, I'm not the best person to ask about graphics mods, as I forget where I get things from.

Comment

I will get to start later this week

Catt

Comment

This AU 503 game is GREAT !

Never played more interesting map in my civ3 career

I'll let better players/writers type the DAR reports tho. Just wanted to thank alexman and the whole AU team for this marvelous experience this map offers. Thanks !

And now back to finish off those pesky Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Trampler.se
                          I'll let better players/writers type the DAR reports tho. Just wanted to thank alexman and the whole AU team for this marvelous experience this map offers. Thanks !
                          Just re-reading this thread and it occured to me to stop and say: NO! (politely, of course). Don't worry if you feel others are better players or writers -- the entire AU experience is better for all when more people take a stab at writing how their game unfolded and sharing their experiences and thoughts. I, for one, would welcome your report.

Remember Cort Haus' very well-spoken commentary on AU in general: "There's something about the process of writing these things down which both makes a game truly memorable and crystalises understanding of things. Documenting mistakes helps prevent repetition, recording success helps recall the best practice, and lets face it, a game of Civ can make a pretty decent story."

Give it a shot! I'd be willing to bet that both you and many others will be richer for your efforts.

Catt

Comment

I second that, Catt.
                            See my AU501 DARs for an example of the dryest, least creative writing possible. I kept a turn log and essentially just posted that with some explanations and thoughts here and there. Others are very creative and turn in DARs that could be more accurately described as stories.

But I don't care because like Cort Haus' quote, there is something about the process of documenting your decisions that truly makes you a better player.

And even if you decide not to post(but pleaaaase do), consider keeping a turn log for your own private playing process. It can be elaborate or as barebones as you like, but the act of writing down what you are doing(or better yet, plan to do) really has helped my own gameplay.

I only do it on AU or other comparison games, but those come often enough that I learn quite a bit before even posting it or reading other's DARs. Every DAR that someone posts is chock full of information that someone else will/can take and learn from by comparison.

By all means, take a look at my 501 DARs if you feel outclassed by the likes of some of the storytellers here. I challenge anyone to post a less creative DAR.
                            "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

an example of the dryest, least creative writing possible. I kept a turn log and essentially just posted that with some explanations and thoughts here and there.
                              Hey, that's what I do!

I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Perhaps, but I bet you use complete sentences.
                                "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Working...
                                X