No announcement yet.

AU 502 DAR 5: Flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jshelr, what level were you playing? I haven't seen you mention it in any of your DAR's.
    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

I was playing an emperor game. I tend to bounce back and forth between emperor and demi these days.
      Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr
        Cornell, IthacaMike? Haven't been back in 25 years now. Back in my day you would still have been under 5 feet of snow at this point in the year.
        Thanks to global warming we only have 3 feet of snow and we have not lost any students to polar bear attacks. I miss the Penguins though.

Comment

"I miss the Penguins though."

If you really miss the Penguins, Mario Lemieux has some Penguins to sell. One of my boys works for him and I can pass on a reasonable offer.
          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

DAR 5 – Emperor – Stock Rules

Celtic research ran on at 4 or 5 turns per tech. Brennus wanted only to finish the game, and although domination of the world would come more quickly in game time, it would take longer than just clicking through turns. Brennus coasted on. Universal Suffrage, the Theory of Evolution, and Hoover Dam were all completed. The Byzantines were thoroughly backwards (just into the Middle Ages); the Inca were struggling in the mid-Middle Ages; the French and Aztecs were less distant, not yet into the Industrial Age or just entering.

Along the way the French declared yet again! This time they managed to bribe the Germans into an alliance. Brennus had had enough. He tasked cavalry and infantry to wipe the remaining German presence off the planet. That was accomplished quickly.

With the discovery of Flight, 25 bombers were quickly built as homeland defense, as well as 4 flak for air defense (how silly – we’d never see the chance of an enemy plane!).

Catt

Comment

Catt, you just make this game look too easy! Great display of how C3C should be played

As an aside, any particular reason you prefer to play stock rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller
                Catt, you just make this game look too easy! Great display of how C3C should be played
                Thanks! But this one was won early with a focused destruction of the Iroquois, the limited Rexing room of the Sumerians, and the poor terrain of the Germans. Plus, it was "only" Emperor -- I don't mean that to sound pompous since I know Emperor is tough, but I've been playing demi-god and the occasional deity game regularly recently and feel fairly comfortable with them; moving to Emperor gave it an easier feel than it would have had for me a few months ago. I wish I had played demi-god simply because the relatively close proximity of the other continent-mates would have added a lot of tension to the early game (especially with the free settler on demi-god) but still made for a fairly carefree later game provided the early conquests were well-executed (and one enjoyed a dose of luck). But I didn't think I would have the time or energy to play a solid demi-god game and wanted to play before this AU started to get stale.

And I'm sure I speak for others (in addition to speaking for myself) when I say we're waiting for the end to your nail-biter!

As an aside, any particular reason you prefer to play stock rules?
                I'll probably play the AU Mod next AU game. I generally prefer to play stock rules in my epic games for comparison purposes with other players of all stripes. In addition, my early and main wish for the AU Mod was for it to induce a proclivity to more KAI generation and a more even distribution of challenge across all time periods of the game -- while I think the Mod on the whole adds a lot of interesting changes and strengthens the AI generally, I'm not sure it substantially increases the incidence of KAIs. The capper is that, due partly to my general laziness and poor memory, I really like to play with one ruleset across games, whatever that ruleset might be -- since I default to stock rules for the reasons above, playing the AU Mod requires a substantial refresher on the changes and playing with a "crib sheet" to remind me of changes as the game progresses.

Catt

Comment

Originally posted by Catt
                  And I'm sure I speak for others (in addition to speaking for myself) when I say we're waiting for the end to your nail-biter!
                  Nail biter eh? Hmmm. Yes, well I got myself into this mess due to a few early mistakes and my usual "builders' syndrome" of trying to squeeze in a few more lovely buildings before building up the military, and so I kept missing the invasion boat!

Have been a bit pressed for time lately, so haven't played much into the Modern age, but I'll finish it off soon (or the AI will )

Comment

Working...
                  X