So let's see. So far we have these confirmed:

Dominae
    Theseus
    ZargonX
    Alexman
    lockstep
    Nor Me

Seems like a good panel, eh?
    Last edited by Tassadar500; November 16, 2003, 14:02.

Comment

I'm back again...this time from a vacation in Maui. Aloha.

I have a lot of catching up to do, both in RL and here, so I'm going to stand by my post a few weeks ago that I would not be a good panelist for a while. I haven't even played Conquests once yet! Still I will happily give my opinions once I have a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Me
        I have the time and would be prepared to do it.

Comment

I would agree that we need to take our time. As said, many people around the world don't even have the game yet, so we need to wait on them in order to hear their opinions. Furthermore, I know speaking for myself I still need more time with epic game to really start drawing good suggestions (dang Sengoku... taking up all my time... )
          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Zargon believe me, we are not rushing this. It will take four days alone to decide the "Power of the People" position and then a long time just discussing and debating some things we could implement in the mod.

Comment

By "voice of the people", what would you be looking for?
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

We poll on certain issues, and let the results act as a seperate panelist.

Dominae
                And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Since the plan is to build the new AU mod for C3C from scratch, so I would like to start the discussion about what to include in the first version.

Let's gather all the initial ideas here, and then we can open one thread for each idea. In those threads we can debate whether we need a change, and if so, what the change should be.

Wouldn't it be cool if the readme can provide a link to the discussion thread for each change, where new players can find the arguments for each change? Ideally, the threads would even include in-game proof or tests that support the need for a change and demonstrate that the change works and is balanced.

An obvious start would be to look at AU mod v1.17, and decide which of those changes to keep and which not. Another place to look might be the 'easy fixes' thread in the Conquests forum, as it provides some observations from people that have been playing the game.

What does everyone think? Too much trouble, or worth it?

Comment

I think that is a good point to start from, alexman. If there are things to be salvaged from the old version, they should be salvaged. And the "Easy Fixes" thread is definately a good place to look, as many of those suggestions can be implemented via the editor.
                    I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Yes, the AU mod version 1.17 is a great place to start. I'll look at it in detail tonight.

Dominae
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Like Dominae, I think we should reevaluate the v1.17 change list in the light of C3C. This may result in a breakdown like[list=a][*]changes that were adopted in the epic game as they stood (e.g. Great Wall providing walls to towns),[*]changes that were adopted in principle, but not in the exact specification (e.g. zero range bombardment for archer type units, yet with only 50% of the corresponding attack value),[*]changes that were not implemented, but are pretty likely to be substituted by one of the features introduced in C3C (e.g. no higher attack value for submarines, yet the ability to do stealth attacks),[*]unimplemented changes where an arguable, yet less clear-cut connection to a new C3C feature exists (e.g. Military Academy still requires a victorious army, but against the background of vast changes to leaders),[*]umimplemented changes without any arguable 'C3C feature connection' (e.g. the number of Cure for Cancer's happy faces).[/list=a]Obviously, we should start the new AU mod version with class e changes (and do some self-praise for class a ). Class c changes should get axed, at least for now. Mainly, we should take a close look at class b and class d and - after doing some playtesting - decide about a possible re-introduction of some of these former changes. IMO, 'class b'-revivals don't pose a problem, but one would have to give very solid reasons for reviving class d changes.

Afterwards, we can start to tinker with entirely new modifications.
                        Last edited by lockstep; November 20, 2003, 17:57.
                        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

Yes, we'll have almost every change in the PTW version of the AU mod as many of them have been affected by conquests and the rest are probably still applicable.

It would be nice to have seperate threads for each group of changes. I certainly wouldn't want to trawl through the 1300 posts we've had so far to see if someone else suggested something. Most of the important details weren't even in the threads themselves. The downside would be if people kept on starting new threads on old topics rather than posting in existing ones. It'd be optimistic to get everything about a change in one thread but better linking would be useful.

Lockstep (I need to refresh for crossposts more often), I'd imagine they'll be plenty of new changes to fix things that are judged wrong with conquests or to partially counteract known bugs.

I'd propose we divide this into areas like unit changes, goverment changes, changes that only the AI should see and other changes.

We might need several threads on unit changes though I doubt anything useful beyond what we've already got is likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Me
                            Lockstep (I need to refresh for crossposts more often), I'd imagine they'll be plenty of new changes to fix things that are judged wrong with conquests or to partially counteract known bugs..
                            I wouldn't want to counteract bugs that I expect to be fixed soon, but that's just me. As for fixing new imbalances - naturally, we should start discussions quite soon, but right now I rather get the urge (like Dominae, obviously) to check off the v1.17 list. Also, some of C3C's needed fixes are very likely to bring about some controversy (e.g. Republic's unit support), and I'd rather not resolve that issue until the AU panel is up and running.

EDIT: OTOH, right now the panel IS for the most part up and running.
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I think that we now have a more clear understanding of the goals of the mod than when we first started (see Dominae's first post in this thread). For this reason, I would prefer to start completely from scratch, not from v1.17.

Of course all the ideas in the old mod will be considered (especially lockstep's class e), and there are some no-brainer changes in 1.17 that we should keep, but I would feel better if each change got a fresh evaluation based on the goals of the mod.

I also prefer that each group of related changes gets its own thread for discussion (as opposed to one thread for all city improvement changes, for example). Not only it is easier to find previous discussions that way, but also if one day the change gets removed from the mod, we could simply unlink the related thread from the main thread, and not have irrelevant discussions clutter the documentation of the latest version.

Comment

I'm not a panelist, but I support the idea of multiple threads for discussion purposes. Wading through the current PTW AU mod thread is a bit of a task.

Also I'd recommend that the main thread be topped (just ask Ming ) and the thread starter who links all the other threads be someone who is very active (Nuclear Master or one of the more active panel members like Dominae or alexman).

Comment

Working...
                                X