No announcement yet.

Updating the AU mod for C3C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd definitely vote for Dominae and Alexman to be on the panel, though I've been so inactive, my vote might not be worth the paper it's printed on.
    "Just once, do me a favor, don't play Gray, don't even play Dark... I want to see Center-of-a-Black-Hole Side!!! " - Theseus nee rpodos

Comment

Another vote for Alexman and Dominae.

And if nbarclay is still interested in the AU mod, I'd like to nominate him.
      "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

lockstep, you vanished there for a while, but if you're interested, I nominate you.

Comment

Many thanks, alexman - I'd be interested, but unless the panel includes seven or nine persons, I'm afraid I'd only crowd out more experienced Civ players. However, I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming mod discussions.

Side note: I'm quite sure that it was the AU mod that convinced Firaxis/Breakaway to include zero range bombardment for archer type units into the epic game. Congratulations, alexman - I remember this was your 'beloved' feature!
          "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I just made plans for C3C version of Patch suggestion MOD if anybody is interested.

Comment

lockstep do you want to be on the panel? You can be since I decided it would be best to have an election of sorts. Even if you don't make it try to participate in the next AU course that Dominae is creating

Comment

I don't think being on this panel should be decided by a popularity contest.

Whoever:
                1) is nominated
                2) is interested
                3) can consistently put in the time and effort
                should be automatically included.

There is no reason why the people making the decisions should be few compared to the people participating in the AU games, as long as members of the panel always show up to discuss and vote on the issues that we are debating.

The only requirement should be that the panel is an odd number of people, and I'm sure someone will volunteer to be on the panel only if there is otherwise an even number.

Comment

Alexman, the thing is I don't want 7 or more people on this panel. It's just to many. I am hoping for 3 or 5 people and I believe there are more people than that who want/should be on the panel. I don't think people would like me or Rhothaerill just to pick ourselves

Comment

Why is 7 too many? Even 17 would be fine with me. I say, the more qualified people, the better. Keeps them involved, otherwise they might wander off and forget about the AU.

Comment

If there's really some sort of election, I may as well be a contestant. But as I noted before, I'll also participate in discussing the upcoming modifications if I'm not one of the three/five/(insert odd number) panel persons. I'm enthusiastic about the AU mod idea (again) because Firaxis and Breakaway took a lot of AU's v1.17 features and incorporated it into the standard epic game - basically, this is a modmakers dream come true.

As for the next AU course, I'll likely give it a try - at least if playing on Monarch is an option. (I've won a few Emperor games in PtW, but that was largely due to extraordinary starting locations.)

Comment

lockstep in the AU you can play at any level you wish

Comment

Perhaps we could have an even number of "regular" panelist positions, and one "voice of the people" position. Obviously this would be highly undemocratic, but at least non-panelists would have some say in what's going on (thereby hopefully keeping their interest).

The reason I would like to keep the panel small is to ensure that everyone on it is working in the best interests of the AU mod, and not just what they would like to see modified in their own games. From the chaos in alexman's 'FIRAXIS: A list of EASY fixes...' thread, it's obvious that different people want to play the game in different ways. We're looking for the "AU mod way" here. I firmly believe that only a small group of people should be responsible for maintaining the AU mod philosophy. All the others are responsible for coming up with new and exciting ideas.

(By the way, the "chaos" in that thread is good chaos...I'm sure Breakaway/Firaxis is reading every bit of it intently.)

Dominae
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

I'd like to be on the panel.

We should take our time on this: Due to delivery dates, and also due to the Conquests, people around the world will not have had sufficient time to get used to the stock epic game for a while.
                            Last edited by Theseus; November 15, 2003, 15:39.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I agree with Dominae here. Adding too many people to the formal panel could turn the AU mod into a "flavor of the month" sort of thing, rather than a mod dedicated to improving the AI and forcing the player to make harder strategic choices. A relatively small number of panelists would work best.

I'd also add that, based on the names of the people being nominated/ talked about as panelists, I can't say I'm particularly worried about them not taking popular input seriously. Every one of them has shown themselves to be more than willing to consider the ideas of others in the AU process. Provided there is an opportunity for open debate/ discussion of the mod (which is never a problem around here), I think a relatively small panel (5 seems right) would work best.
                              They don't get no stranger.
                              Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
                              "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Okay, I'm convinced. 6 on the panel, with the "voice of the people" as a tie-breaker, sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                                X