Mini Tourney IV - Babylon and On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Tourney IV - Babylon and On

'k folks, as promised...here's another crack at a good ol' fashioned slugfest. I have no idea how this is gonna shake out, but here's the scoop!

The year is 1570AD, and the smallish nation of Babylonia has only recently begun to step onto the world stage.

You are in the heart of the Industrial Age, and your seven opponents (Japan, China, USA, France, Germany, Russia, and India are all well into the Modern Age. Some of your rivals are even constructing the Manhattan Project. Babylon is home to exactly one Wonder of the World...The Colassus, and has yet to have her Golden Age.

You have a small, devensive oriented standing army (Riflemen, at the ready to be upgraded as soon as funds are available), and are blessed with an excess of Spices to export. Ten cities, a basic rail network connecting all, and a budding industry and aspirations of greatness.

You are also in dead last place on the charts, and not even your cultural standing is enviable. You are, in short, the smallest dog on the block.

All of your rivals have ROP's with each other, and all save Japan are on friendly terms with you, though at this point, Babylon has not engaged in any entangling alliances. You are technologically backwards, it's true, but your sister nations seem willing and eager to trade technology for your rare and wonderful spices, and you have other resources besides....Iron, Rubber, and Coal, can all be found within your borders.

The Gods have truly smiled on fair Babylon, and given you all the basic resources you will need to emerge as a world power, with a bit of luck, perserverance, and dogged determination.

It took a lot of restarting to get a map I was happy with....spent lots of time exploring the maps with my settler and worker till I found us something that was big enough to spread out on, and small enough to ensure we were alone, so I could develop in isolation.

I did wind up trading for a handful of techs (generally as part of a package deal for the Spice we have in abundance, and only once we hit the Industrial Era), but for the most part, the techs we have right now were researched by our glorious nation. We may be a bit behind, but we've gotten where we are today all on our own, and have much to be proud of.

I left the map largely intact...in its pristine form. Minimal forest has been clearcut to give each player as much flexibility as I possibly could. Aside from sending out a handful of Galleys in the Ancient Age to make contact and trade our Spice, we have not left our island home.

We have a small, professional army (all veterans), no navy at all (all our galleys were decomissioned centuries ago), and a well developed infrastructure, given our current level of technology. There is room on the island for a few more cities, but I intentionally did not build them, so as not to cramp anybody's playstyle. Many of the cities are four tiles apart tho...slighly closer than some would prefer, I realize, but given the size of our homeland, I though that was a reasonable compromise.

I've had a lot of fun getting us to this point, and look forward to seeing what happens from here.

All victory conditions have been disabled, by the way, save for conquest and domination. The AI can't cheese it's way out of the trap that Mighty Babylon has laid....

-=Vel=-
    Attached Files
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

They are all in the modern era? If you aren't at least the #4 civ by that point your chances of winning are slim. I could probably ascend to #1, but I'm not bad enough to destroy them all. I wonder who will be first to beat this.
    Wrestling is real!

Comment

ok, i'll give it a go soon
      btw what level ?
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I assume this is Monarch level, which is one above what I usually play, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Since you haven't posted in the Candle'Bre forum for what seems like months I may as well see what you've been up to, mate.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Oh ... OK, it's on Emperor level.

I'm gonna get my butt kicked.

It'll be fun, though.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Hasn't been quite THAT long, Brother Stoo! But yes, this cursed writer's block has dragged on for far longer than I had imagined.... Still plugging away at it though....the next iteration of the Societal Model is coming together....just....more slowly than I'd have liked.....

Good luck and Godspeed on the game, and no worries, CB is alive and well....

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Other random notes:

1) We are currently a Democracy....not so good for warring, but the faster workers were a godsend!

2) The reason we're lowest on the score chart is not really indicative of our true potential, but indicative of the fact that until we got our hands on Electricity, we were unable to irrigate a single tile of terrain (no rivers or lakes anywhere on our island)--that's another reason the forest is largely intact...no real gain in clear cutting it. Thus, our very largest city was size six, and many were frozen in the 2-4 range. Only recently (last twenty turns or so), have our cities begun to really flourish, thanks both due to the emerging rail network and our new ability to irrigate!

3) We DID try once to leave our island home. The island to our northeast was only sparsely populated, and it would have been possible to squeeze one more city on it. We tried, but lost a Galley, settler, and one of our noble Spearmen to the cruel sea....

4) We're last, but we're not all THAT far behind our rivals. With spice to trade, we could probably zoom into the Modern era with minimal difficulty, BUT...where warring is concerned, we'll need to build everything from the ground up. Our defense forces are good enough to hold the island (especially now that all our cities are connected), but laughable in terms of actually TAKING an enemy city.

5) The age of horse has come and gone, but if we wanted to build any Cav for any purpose, we'd need to trade for horses...we don't have any!

6) Raging Barbs SUCK!

7) Bowmen are quite good at handing Barbs their butts.

8) We have embassies established with all our rivals.

In terms of contacts, the Chinese found us, and shortly thereafter, we found Russia, and then made contact with the rest of the world shortly thereafter (a busy trio of galleys!) We were about half an age behind in tech at that point, but some spice trading helped rake in enough cash so we could really start cranking out the research!

Most of the game, I persued a simple "tech following" strategy. Kept my research pegged high enough to be profitable for us, and would research the cheapest tech available, in terms of turns to discovery (veered from this a couple of times, to get to The Republic, for example).

Didn't really need my iron...never made any swordsmen, pike, knights, or any of that (our Army went straight from Spearmen to Riflemen), so wound up trading it away too. Valuable stuff in the Ancient and Medieval Era....the AI's will pay an arm and a leg for the stuff!

I'll start up a spoiler's and strategy thread in a bit!

-=Vel=-

Comment

With good trading and tech following, one could possibly eek out a SS win, as I've heard the AI doesn't really go all-out for it, even when it has the tech.

The UN could cause problems - gotta figure out who to vote for in order to keep the balance.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Ahhh, no worries Brother Arrian! Both of those have been disabled. None of that pesky UN stuff to worry 'bout....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Ahh. UN and SS off. Culture not really an option either. So it's dominate the world or die trying.

I assume this was born of the mini tourney iii thread, which I have studiously avoided (wanna know why I never got around to playing that one? Check out the "Ultimate Power" thread in this forum).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Other notes (cos I keep remembering details you might find useful!)

The terrain of our homeland is such that the southern portion is our industrial heartland (and we've got a city nestled in a beautiful valley in the southwest that stands to be an absolute BEAST where productivity is concerned! Two cow tiles for massive food influx, and lossa mountains to mine for production), while the northern section is our financial stronghold (relying mostly on sea tiles for growth).

Because we are an island nation, I thought it important that all our cities be able to contribute materially to any war effort we enter into....thus, you'll note that barracks have been constructed everywhere. Well, okay, that's not entirely true, but only cos I haven't gotten around to putting the last barracks in on the northern most city....probably won't, since it's got cheesy production anyway, but we've got 9 Barracks. Do we need them? Probably not. Then again, if we wanna build an attack force from the ground up, having nine places to crank out veteran troops is better than having, say...three or so.

I *did* build the FP on the island, figuring that if we went-a-conquering later on, we could burn a Leader to relocate the palace....for the moment, we have blessedly little corruption.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Yep! We were talking about how MTiii was cool, but we didn't really get a chance to see the AI with lots of time to build in the modern age....so, I thought I'd develop us to a point in isolation, not trading for any techs, until I got "Replaceable Parts" and then see if we can hand it to them.

As it stands, the AI has been at least half an age ahead in tech for the better part of the game (researching all on our own, there's just no way we can keep pace with seven rampantly trading AI's....one of the rare times you'll hear me applauding the min/max discovery rates! LOL...they'd be THROUGH the tech tree by now, I think, and I'd prolly still be in the middle ages!), so it should be a much more intersting challenge....I just hope I haven't made it...erm...too interesting!

And I just read the Ultimate Power thread! That's one rockin' game you've got there!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Thank Vel. I'll give it a go. Sounds like you've been overly influenced by "So Cold of the Map Generator" though.
                          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Nahhh, you should see some of the maps I didn't keep! We've got it goooood by comparison!

-=Vel=-

Comment

The no irrigation things sounds harsh, Vel. I woulda at least found a map that gave us a river... yeesh. But nothing compares to Aeson's iceberg.

-Arrian

thoughts, comments on the GoUP?

Comment

Working...
                              X