Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started a thread about the space race and whether the shield costs of SS parts should be increased:

(AFAIK, this is the last change included in former AU mod versions that we didn't discuss for the C3C version until now.)
    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

• Version 1.05 is out.
      Could someone please look it over before AU503?

Comment

• I'm playing a test game with 1.05 now, and have the Aztecs on my continent. We're around 1300BC, and I already had a war with them (I decided to warmonger in this game, well, it's Conquests after all). How comes I have seen plenty of Aztec warriors and Archers, but not a single Jaguar warrior yet? They've been the teeth of the Aztecs in Civ3 and PtW and it was a real challenge to attack them in the early game, because their capital was able to spit out 1-turn Jags. Why are they crippled like this in Conquests?

Comment

• One more note: I just read in the Creation forum Willems proposal to fix the AI-army-problem (make combats spawn armies instead of leaders). I think the loss of the ability to rush small wonders (other rushes aren't worth to burn a leader anyway) may be a fair tradeoff for having a militarily much more competitive AI. The only question i'd have is, what would happen, if the player exceeded the army limit (1 per 4 cities)?

What does the AU High Council think about this as temporary solution?

EDIT: Forget this one. I just saw alexmans comment from yesterday in the C3C forum.

Comment

• I'll bump the Jaguar Warrior thread with your comment, thanks!

As for the Army solution, it was suggested in the Army thread, but it didn't get much support because of the limitation that you can't get another Army once you already have one.

Comment

• Hi to all! I'm new to the Apolyton but hell i played all 3 civ's and SMAC! :P
              I have a suggestion to the AU C3C mod 1.05 (its great as is, but I have a suggestion for improvement).

1. AI is not using cannons for offense. This is okay since it has some several other units to compensate (archer, bowman etc.), but, aside from this ai bug (i.e. AI never really does a planned invasion), i think that there might be a problem solver...
              2. Maybe one of the reasons AI does not use cannons is that they are wheeled. ? I rarely saw'em build chariots too... okay, i don't build chariots etiher, but they rock at exploration for non exp. civs. (except if surrounded by mts and swamps)...
              3. Anyway, my suggestion is to include, from cannons to modern a lesser, weaker but portable type of cannon (as they really exist) without the "wheeled" attribute. The ancient age equivalent would be the Ballista, and the medieval age equivalent would be the "repeating ballista" (i think its called helepolis or something).

This would make a "fine tuning" of units, since you would have the choice of units:
              - heavy artillery (4.ex catapult)
              - special artillery (4ex. ballista)
              - defense unit (4ex. spearman)
              - special defense unit (4ex. archer)
              - offense unit (4ex. swordsman)
              - special offense unit (4ex. horseman)

There's already a similar tactis in modern naval combat:
              - transport unit (transport)
              - special transport unit (carrier)
              - defense unit (destroyer)
              - special naval defense unit (AEGIS)
              - naval domination unit (cruiser)
              - special naval domination unit (battleship)

:P

Bibor

Comment

• Thanks for the suggestion, but the AI doesn't use cannons because they are ground bombardment units, not because they are wheeled. Tanks are wheeled in the AU mod, and the AI uses them fine.

Comment

• Hmm, yes, i noticed now in your html txt which came with AU. One question though: what's wrong with land bombardment? THey couldn't supply the AI with enugh info about how to use them properly? Then why is it in the game? Multiplayer is definitely not the main purpose of civ3 since the netcode is a disaster (even in lan), so how come AI cannot use bombard units properly? "bombard units" are 1/5 of the total units in game or so...

Comment

• Alexman, when do you think the AU Mod will be finished?

Comment

• It's in a stable state right now.

I expect more changes to come after the final patch (if there is one), or if we discover something terribly unbalanced that needs fixing.

Comment

• Good to hear

Comment

• Mods are never done.

Comment

• Your opinion is appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by Bibor
                              Hmm, yes, i noticed now in your html txt which came with AU. One question though: what's wrong with land bombardment? THey couldn't supply the AI with enugh info about how to use them properly? Then why is it in the game? Multiplayer is definitely not the main purpose of civ3 since the netcode is a disaster (even in lan), so how come AI cannot use bombard units properly? "bombard units" are 1/5 of the total units in game or so...
                              Bibor, this is a flaw in the AI that has been the case from the day CivIII shipped... we all just sorta live with it. Maybe someday we'll stuble across a solution for the mod, much as AI use of Armies seems to be addressable.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Voila... updated unit summary for the AU Mod!!
                                Attached Files
                                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                                X