Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELG: A couple of things bugging me...

Hi folks,

OK seeing as ive posted a number of threads already i guessed it was at least time to officially introduce myself on the CIV2 forums.

Without boring you too much ill just say that after an immense amount of digestion of material in the GL, posts, strategy guides from members too numerous to mention....and playing a couple of turns of CIV2 on Deity and a OCC 1899 landing on AC...hmm doesnt say much for the info ive digested again...i think im slowly starting to tget the tip of the whole ELG, SSC,OCC strategies altho i realise i have a long way to go b4 i get anywhere really commendable. But then again time is is the great equaliser....well i hope so anyway

Right now for the q's regarding ELG's and comparison games. These are still unclear either due to me misunderstanding or insufficient reading. Naughty!

1. Is using utilities like hutfinder,civplan,beakers,etc regarded as acceptable. After all surely most of this info is mathematically calculable hence why the opposition....

2. These ELG start save games: Surely if we all get the start games i can just go into cheat mode->reveal map and already i have a distinct advantage. How does one ensure no-one has peeked at the map b4 or whilst theyre playing? This could give those "unscrupulous" a distinct advantage as to terrain layout, specials,resources, AI civlization placement and activity!??

3.How come the landing dates are for spaceship launch. Surely one has to add the time to AC for true landing date. I noticed logs seem to have last entry as launch date????

4.Was exactly is caravan rehoming. Is this building a caravan and then sending it back to the city that built it to assist in rush-buying construction? or something else...??

OK that's enough for now.

Thanks again folks i have to say i feel quite at home with all the strategists, statisticians, warlords... budding or expert .

Fab game CIV2 is. I give the all time . Certainly wouldnt recommend it for those suffering from attention deficit disorder. Or would i as a cruel punishment
    "Some people are alive, simply because its against the law to kill them"

"Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought"

Ooops sorry i lied..one more q albeit a little more superficial:

Which unit.gif files do you recommend. Or any realistic ones out there to download.The ones that come with MGE,2.42/2.78 arent gr8 IMO. Any recommendations besides building your own right now

"Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought"

Comment

1.Yes.No medals or cash awarded and as noted it can be done without a utility.

2.Yes you would have a big advantage.But what fun is that?..a certain amount of honor is assumed.

3.Not much interesting happens after launch generally speaking.Just shoring up of defenses.Landing dates are what counts.Which brings up another issue of the amount of game turns.Slower ships land "earlier" but in reality add more turns to the game total.

4.Building a caravan or freight from a small crappy city and then sending it into the big fat city.Click on the unit inside the city and select "support from this city".In effect you have your SSC with a limitless supply of commodities.

For graphics I would recommend HiRes2.5.A complete mod or just a graphics facelift.Available in d/ls collection or at Tim's site.http://www.geocities.com/yoohootim/hires.htm
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Re: ELG: A couple of things bugging me...

Originally posted by Paradox

1. Is using utilities like hutfinder,civplan,beakers,etc regarded as acceptable. After all surely most of this info is mathematically calculable hence why the opposition....

2. These ELG start save games: Surely if we all get the start games i can just go into cheat mode->reveal map and already i have a distinct advantage. How does one ensure no-one has peeked at the map b4 or whilst theyre playing? This could give those "unscrupulous" a distinct advantage as to terrain layout, specials,resources, AI civlization placement and activity!??

3.How come the landing dates are for spaceship launch. Surely one has to add the time to AC for true landing date. I noticed logs seem to have last entry as launch date????

4.Was exactly is caravan rehoming. Is this building a caravan and then sending it back to the city that built it to assist in rush-buying construction? or something else...??
        1. All those aids are legal, although not all of us use them. Some of us have our doubts about aids that are against "the spirit of the game".

2. We can't ensure that nobody cheats. Even the no huts and no restarts rules are easy to evade. Most of us play because we enjoy it and we wouldn't enjoy it so much if we broke one of the rules to get an earlier landing.

3. I think most of the logs give a launch date and a landing date. I think the game saves are more interesting from the launch date since after launch the way the game is played changes completely. I think a save when fusion power is discovered would be even more instructive, but that would not give the arrival date.

4. I believe caravan rehoming is changing the "ownership" of a caravan to another city. eg building caravans in your helper cities and then changing them to your SSC so that the bonus is greater when delivered. This is a no no! Using caravans to rush build a wonder in their own city is fine.

RJM at Sleepers
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Thanks i shall return with more in due course of this I am assured....

Comment

Hehe no effort goes into stopping cheating, for the simple reason that most players participating are known to each other. This isn't really a contest (unless I win one - then it is ), but a way to enjoy civ more.

As you can see from the logs so far people have faced adverse situations and adapted to them.

As for rehoming all you need to know is not to do it......it is evil.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              As for rehoming all you need to know is not to do it......it is evil.
              I disagree with the last statement... except if you mean that it would be cheating to use it in ELCG.
              solo wrote very clearly that it was forbidden = no doubt.

But samson and solo made use of rehoming in several record games, so did Xin Yu, ... and so do all players of GOTM at CFC, since it is allowed there.
              I would say that rehoming is OK as long as you state that you use it, and as long as it is not forbidden by those who wrote the rule of the kind of game you are playing.
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Dr Spike
                I replied seriously because Paradox was asking seriously, but I didn't fail to notice your smilie .
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Well we can discuss 'features' and 'exploits' for hours no doubt, but there is no doubt in my mind that caravan rehoming is an exploit and should be banned from any comparison game, whether it be an ELG or scenario. I am surprised they allow it in CF GOTM.

Of course there is a case for having an 'absolute' record where all possible exploits are allowed, just to see what is possible. Most of time however I would be happier if it wasn't possible to rehome caravans.

But agreed, it is doing it without acknowledging it that is the worse case.

Comment

We did not disallow the Food Caravan Trick for ELCGs... or Airbases...

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
                      We did not disallow the Food Caravan Trick for ELCGs... or Airbases...

Could we have some concensus pls gentleman

At least now i know why ive been struggling to land in ELG's with decent dates with no rehoming, airbases or hut tipping

Nevertheless, it would be nice to know how a couple of the ELCG's e.g OCC#22 and 23 where played with or without these "mysterious" assistants

Now im really starting to wonder about the advice im getting here

Comment

I don't think anyone has used any of the exploits mentioned in the last few posts in EL games.

Comment

Rehoming freights is not really an issue now with the recent knowledge about trade and unblocking supply commodities in the SSC. In early landing games rehoming is NOT an option.

Paradox ... there is a consensus in the ELGs.

1) No benefits are allowed from huts.
                          2) No caravan rehoming.

Anything else is allowed.

I can't tell you about OCC games over 2 years ago, as I didn't play many of them. However, I do recall that the Airbase food trick was not permitted.

In OCC games there was no restriction about rehoming freight.

----------------

SG(2)
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Could that be because rehoming is harder to do with just one city?

Comment

Somewhat impossible yes id say....unless Elephant has achieved what others have failed to do

Solo seeing as you did a lot of OCC'ing in the 'ol days can you clarify the legal do's and dont's for me? For the LAST time por favor?

Comment

Working...
                              X