Try this one - Cos i messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try this one - Cos i messed up

ok i tryed this game, and to be fair i screwed it up. can some of you guys help me out here, maybe give me some pointers etc
    Attached Files
    I'm back, sorry everyone.

Can you give us some more information?
    How did you screw up?

This is not a pretty game - the terrain is more than a little horrible - the cities are all over the place, but your victory is secure - particularly since you took the Sun Tzu route - certainly not my favourite.

My major criticism is that you have only three trade routes for the entire Empire. Were I to take over at this point I would switch production to 70% camels, 20% settlers (to get some roads down - even through this foul terrain) and 10% defence. The English (as ever) appear to be a pain in the neck - I would target them first, but not until I had the Empire more connected and every city had at least two trade routes. You have followed the AI choice of workers in most of your cities choosing food over production and trade -- there are far too many unworked specials within your cities - get workers out on to the Silk squares - more production and more trade. Why are you building City Walls in your capital - is it threatened? - certainly not obviously.

Does this help - if not ask more specific questions.

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

One small point to add to SG[1]'s comments is that you don't need luxuries at the moment. You can adjust your tax setting to give an extra 10% science and 10% tax without hitting disorder. This will increase your revenue per turn and also the rate at which you discover new technologies.

RJM at Sleepers
      Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

This is not a pretty game - the terrain is more than a little horrible - the cities are all over the place
        I think some elaboration on this would be helpful to you. Take a look at Bactra: size 2 and already stagnant. This is mostly due to poor choice of location. If instead you had founded on the highlighted tile you would've had the whale and the rivered, shielded grassland tiles to work with (marked with smilies), currently unused by any city. And you needn't have worried about overlap with Susa, because you wold probably not bother growing the city past 8 anyway.
        Attached Files
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Similarly, if Samaria had been built 2 tiles to the SE you would've gained the whale.

You also may not be aware that roads increase trade by one on any tile that already produces trade. So building roads on river tiles makes them as good as ocean tiles for trade. "Trade Specials" (Silk, Spices, Gold, etc) benefit from the road bonus as well. Trade is what drives your civilisation.
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

But those mountains would make a nice outer defensive wall if need be....
            How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

A good place would be +1SE too - mountains give not much food, but it makes your city nearly impragneble and you can use that river-grassland + whale + buffalo
              "Only after the last tree has been cut down,
              only after the last fish has been caught,
              only after the last river has been poisoned,
              only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten."

Comment

tried it and it was easy win as expected
                The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Silpy
                  But they also provide an excellent dropping off point for the opposition to drop off units from a ship to attack the city
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Silpy
                    I'm with Ming on this one. If you want the mountains to aid in defense, you have to build on one - or at the least, put up a fortress ot two on the mountains and occupy them with at least 2 units each (to prevent bribing.

All other things being equal, I try to not build adjacent to a mountain. Even in SP - it's too hard to kill adjacent barbs.
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Yes, barbs more of a threat on an inland sea than the enemy, but no more than a threat. I've seen them drop off on plains right next to forests or hills, and I can't think of a time barbs have dropped off on a mountain in one of my games.

Comment

Actully, looking at the whole map, the city in question just happens to be in the middle. My main complaint is that you have spaced the cities too thin. There are too many gaps that enemies can station units without you knowing. This is partly the reason that you have really, really poor communications. Please, build some roads!

Anyway, you could simply station in mountains old units (perhaps ones with no home city?) there just to annoy everybody. Its amazing sometimes what units have suvived up there.

And I have only once see barbs cross mountains, but only 'cos a city was suorrunded by them.
                        How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

Working...
                        X