Strategy tips for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy tips for beginners

I like to collect the strategy tips of the hard core players. Maybe they are known to the experienced players. But our community grows ...
    Here are my tips:

FORTIFIED UNIT
    I like to put a diplo together with a fortified unit so that it cannot be bribed. (No shield support for the diplo).

APPEARING BARBS
    When barbs (archers, legions) appear and I have weak units in a nearby city, I rush build a diplo by switching production. When the shield box is empty, I even disband a unit to get some shields and then rushbuy it (incremental buying).

CITIES ON HILLS/MOUNTAINS/OIL
    Before you found a city there, you should begin to mine it with settler #1. The 2nd settler founds the city the next turn.

CITIES ON FOREST ON A RIVER
    I love that : river defense bonus + forest defense bonus + trade bonus + production bonus.

CITIES ON AN ISTHMUS
    I love that to keep other civs off my territory. Build it on a hill, a forest or a mountain.

COASTAL HUTS
    Open these huts directly from your ship with a four legged unit or a diplo/explorer. If the hut contains barbs, you may move your unit back to the ship.

NOMADS
    If you find a nomad with an exploring unit, build a city as soon as possible. So the chance of finding another one is much greater.

PHEASANTS
    I always irrigate them (->buffaloes) - more food, more production. If the pheasant is on a river, I will later transform it to coal if there's a lack of production.

SILK
    Dont't transform it to wheat - except ther's a lack of food. Put your 2nd or 3rd worker on it (->city screen).

FUNDAMENTALISM
    If you've the Gardens and Mike's and Bach's and the Statue of Liberty, switch to Fundamentalism for some turns (50% science, 50% lux - no taxes). You'll make a big cash. Rush build temples in just founded or bribed cities - and you'll swim in gold.
    Rush buy other city improvements for your well developped city - prepare for democracy.
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Re: Strategy tips for beginners

Originally posted by ramses II.
    FUNDAMENTALISM
    If you've the Gardens and Mike's and Bach's and the Statue of Liberty, switch to Fundamentalism for some turns (50% science, 50% lux - no taxes). You'll make a big cash. Rush build temples in just founded or bribed cities - and you'll swim in gold.
    Rush buy other city improvements for your well developped city - prepare for democracy.
    This must be a mistype - Science in Fundy should ALWAYS be minimised - as half of it is wasted - do any research with caravans and Eins

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yes, turn science off in Fundy and keep luxuries high enough so the cities celebrate - the base trade will be higher, therefore trade bonuses will be a lot better, thereby giving you more science through trade.

My biggest strategy tip would be to read the GL. Gaah, that sounds like sucking up, but it's true.

My favourite GL tip comes from DaveV:

In the early game, if you have a size 1 city, maximize its food production to get to size 2. Then maximize the shields.

That method lets you crank out settlers and caravans, getting more cities down faster, or getting that first wonder built faster.
      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Re: Strategy tips for beginners

Originally posted by ramses II.

PHEASANTS
        I always irrigate them (->buffaloes) - more food, more production. If the pheasant is on a river, I will later transform it to coal if there's a lack of production.
        Pheasant is 3 Food, 2 Shields, no Trade; Buffalo is 1 Food, 3 Shields, with Irrigation & Road (7 settler turns) is 2 Food, 3 Shields, 1 Trade.

Early game, go for more food (Pheasant), but tuck in the back of your mind to turn it to Buffalo later for Trade and more Shields. Same with Wheat/Silk.

When it is a "hidden special" under grass, you are going to get Pheasant or Silk first anyway; but early game it is best to leave it as settler turns are more critical.

Comment

Working...
        X