Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of thoughts

Stealing shields:
    Suppose you have several cities close to one another. If you have all units stationed in these cities hosted by the first of which (in establishing sequence), maybe you can save the maintainance shields for them by re-host units while processing cities. Here's a demonstration. You have 3 cities A B C, in which A is your first city. All of your units in cities B and C are hosted by A. You rush build non-military units or buildings in B and C so that at the beginning of the next turn you'll be sent to city screens of B and C. While in city screens, you re-host units inside cities to B and C, respectively. Since B and C are processed before A, you save the maintainance shields for those units. You then move units in B and C back to A and re-host them before moving back, so that you can save again the next turn.

Force selling:
    In certain scenarios you want to sell city improvements quickly to get cash, like in RedFront. If you use the 'go to home city' trick you may be able to force the city to sell an improvement. Let's say in RedFront you have set up a loop of units, each stationed in the next city in sequence. Now when you process a city before your force selling city, say Minsk, you can use the loop to go to all your cities and use up all your cash. Then when Minsk is processed, since you have a negative cash flow, you are forced to sell a city improvement. The good thing is that forced selling dose not set up 'improvement sold' flag for the city, and you can sell another improvement the same turn. The bad thing is that you can't choose which improvement to sell for the forced selling.

How delightfully devious.

Comment

Only Xin would think this one up.
      Yes, I can see this one working, but would be horrified if people started doing this in MP games.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

2 isn't practical, but would 1 be viable in MP? If so delete this thread before anyone irresponsible sees it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

How delightfully devious.
          Complete concurrance

SG[1]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

2 isn't practical, but would 1 be viable in MP? If so delete this thread before anyone irresponsible sees it.
            Too late.

Expect the SG's "shield saving" program this evening.

Comment

Too late. Expect the SG's "shield saving" program this evening.
              Yep! Already copied and pasted into my civ folder.

-----------------------

SG(2)
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Xin you have too much free time...... well done as usual
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I'm not sure I see much value in the first suggestion. If you're rushbuying an improvement in B and C the shield production in those cities will just be wasted anyway. I can only see it being useful in two cases: (1) you only do a partial rush of the improvement and those extra sheilds are necessary to put you over the edge on completing it, or (2) if B and C don't produce enough shields to actually support those units.

Self doubt disclaimer: I'm not one to ususally be questioning you guys. I probably overlooked something.
                  Death awaits you all...with nasty, big, pointy teeth

Comment

Yes, you're not quite understanding it. If you don't complete the rush buy, it won't offer you the opportunity to stop during city cycling to change the host city on the units.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Echoing DrSpike and SG[1], I am amazed by the delightful deviousness of these ploys.

Reminds me of a thread from 2-3 years ago.... Wouldn't this be a cheat??

Monk
                      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

OH... and...

Just more typical brilliant ideas from Xin. They just keep coming years after the game has come out. Keep it up.

And yes... if people start doing this in MP games, the turns will take even longer.
                        Last edited by Ming; February 6, 2003, 18:52.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To keep this up turn after turn could double the length of a turn. Probably even more in the early midgame.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Imagine Jeff Goldblum in the movie 'Jurasic Park' saying ~" Just because this can be done, did anyone think to ask themselves if it should be done."

Kinda subverts the basic structure of the game. Would be a lot faster to just use cheat mode...IMHO.

Still cool from the standpoint of "tearing down the engine" to see how it works.

Monk
                            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Yeah in terms of practical evaluation for gameplay this has a negative score IMO. But you have to admire the sheer slipperiness of a mind that could come up with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X