No announcement yet.

Temples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys have a set of rules that you all agree to. The time constraint must be a *itch to play within.

It takes far less time to do this than to type this: open any city, press the up arrow key, as all your cities whiz by they are updated; check happiness screen...now you know which are going to revolt. Are you implying there is not enough time to do that??

cough...cough...cough

Have you considered using a patch or nico-gum during your games?? If you still need something oral, try an unlit cigar. Believe me, this reformed smoker understands the need.

Monk
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

well thanks for the vote of confidence rah, and yes i do check all cities each turn.....but there are times that i still get revolts..... but i suppose if i took the worker off each time i would have fewer...

either way, its not always predictable, nothing like scrolling and making changes only to find a new redhead pop up at the end and have to go and change it again....gr.......
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
        It takes far less time to do this than to type this: open any city, press the up arrow key, as all your cities whiz by they are updated; check happiness screen...now you know which are going to revolt. Are you implying there is not enough time to do that??
        You make the assumption that that's all you need to do between turns. WRONG.
        1. Verifying caravan deliveries since we know demands change.
        2. checking how many beakers you need for your next tech in case you want to tweak the science rate in each city.
        3. calcing that you have enough caravans showing up at the wonder building city the exact turn you get the tech. (this isn't sp, where you can lollygag in terms of wonders)
        4. Using the hut finder
        5. Irritating or distracting your opponents with meaningless king chat
        6. Review any attack scenarios (or defense)

Now around when you have 8-10 cities, you may only have 30-60 seconds between turns. Even less in a 3 man game. You don't have time for everything ever single turn. You sometimes have to set priorities.
        (and if sometimes that's a smoke or grabbing another beer so be it) But even without that, you still sometimes have to make decisions on what you're going to spend that 30 seconds doing.

Heck If I had a buck for every time I've been caught trying to buy up and building that spy instead of the settler, or moving that city worker and not finishing before the turn changed, I'd be rich.

Rich
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well for sure you are... Rich!!

30-60 seconds!!

I had no idea. You guys certainly are brisk. I shudder to think how badly I would perform under those conditions. I'm not only old but disabled and it never occured to me you were playing under some kind of chess clock like that. I'm not so good that I can blast along without thinking...a lot. I'd be dogmeat in no time playing that way.

So let me amend my comments to specify they apply only to SP. Shouldn't be a problem for most people I think. If they wanted advise about MP play, they probably would ask there; but, maybe not. When you MP pros talk about things from that point of view, does it ever occur to you how confusing it might be for folk still in BC times only playing SP?? Most of the time it's not an issue; but there is nothing like a 30-60 second time limit on playing a turn in SP.

PS: I'm so out of the loop on this I thought we were talking about what you might do DURING your turn.

Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

lol, the scary thing is some of us do it even faster than that Markus taught me how to wiz thru the screens, but you must be paying carefull attention...and even then freaky redheads appear.....

i will say this much, if you have good sci, and you manage your cities effectively, you will gain one-two sciences (later in the game) over your opponents.

lost beakers/cash etc can really hamper you.....

we play quickly, and its well known that if you dont', we don't like playing with you.....its not to be mean, its because it is an investment, and with that investment we want to have fun as well..

so yes, four player games are the best, every man for himself and try not to overthink when your making changes.....it really slows you down and causes you to make errors...

and if i had a dollar for every time i screwed up, i too could retire

and as for your turn.....we don't like priming cities either....

take a hit from the bong and pass it along hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

30-60 seconds!!

I had no idea. You guys certainly are brisk. I shudder to think how badly I would perform under those conditions. I'm not only old but disabled and it never occured to me you were playing under some kind of chess clock like that. I'm not so good that I can blast along without thinking...a lot. I'd be dogmeat in no time playing that way.
              Monk
              Just so you don't think we're all Speedfreaks, later in the game when everyone has 15-30 cities. (1600bc and later) and have quite a few units to move every turn, it does slow down. Then everybody's turns can take a few minutes each. And if you go on a attack frenzy, it can take up to 10 minutes. While 10 minutes is not the norm, it does happen on certain turns. There are legitimate reasons to take time.

Despite all our comments about speed, we do play with an unlimited time limit. Some players are slower than others, but if you're really consistently slow, (as war points out) you may have problems finding games on a regular basis.

With 4 people, everyone has to try to be considerate to keep the game moving. SO while it's fun to read and understand all the minutia about the game, some of it is not pratical for MP.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow! 30 seconds!!!!

I don't think I could get anywhere near that!

I too am amazed at that kind of speed.

SG[1]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Please keep in mind that that's early in the game. It does get longer.
                  Of course the first couple of turns can go around in less that 15 seconds.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

unless i am moving an attack force or a bunch of vans, i can manage 30 cities in a min.....but then again, i am always moving caravans hahahahaha

Comment

Yes, the turns fly through till everyone has trade. I once tried to sneak a smoke in before that point and heard the chime announcing the start of my turn before I got out of the family room. opppppps.

RAH
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Comment

@War4ever
                          Looking at your sig (I'm a chess player):
                          Sometimes you MUST sacrifice your queen ...
                          There are no silly questions - only silly answers
                          <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

On a (slightly more) serious note - if any of us SPers were able to join in your sessions, would you bear with us long enough to let us learn the ropes?

SG[1]

Comment

By all means yes. We have played with quite a few people new to MP. (they have to start somewhere) You might have to deal with being teased as being the next Deity for the first few times. And with a little experience you'll be able to handle the flow. If after we feel you're experienced you still move too slow, don't worry, we're not shy, we'll tell you.

RAH
                              We're always looking for new blood. New players use different strats, and help us reflect on what we're doing.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

thanks Rah - hope to get a broadband at home some time this year and then I shall petition SHMBO for a time slot to give it a whirl.

SG[1]

Comment

Working...
                                X