Two cities on the same place ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two cities on the same place ...

Another strange CIV-Story - you wouldn't believe it.
    The map was generated with an accelerated start.
    But look ...
    This was reported by El Greco in the German Civilization Webring Forum.
    Attached Files
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

I think it belongs to the date line phenomenons.
    The date line ins no "line", but a vertical chain of fields which belong to both sides of the line.

Comment

The cities are on two different tiles...

Comment

Weird.

Utica (Carthiginian) and Ulundi (Zulu) are built on the same square (55,31). Each city is working different terrain shows the other's worked squares as occupied. But units from both civs appear stationed in each city. To see this, use the Cheat Menu's Reveal Map and then Find City.

Berlin and Seville are built on adjacent squares. That isn't supposed to happen either. But neither of these oddities has anything to do with the DateLine. The Dateline is the line of "0" longitude which is nowhere near either location.

Comment

how about a screen shot for thos eof us having trouble downloading it

Comment

Maybe someone familiar with hex editing save files can tell us wether this effect might be possible by hacking a save file, since even the map editor will not allow two cities to be placed adjacent to each other.

I suspect a hack job, and it could be that another might explain those sightings of 5 specials in one city.

Either that, or just an unusual, but unreproducible glitch.

Comment

Comin' right up

Upper left is what you see from the German perspective, upper right is the city screen.
              Lower left the cheat map showing 2 cities on one tile.
              Lower right shows what the poor Carthaginian player sees (can't click on city).
              Both the Zulu and Carthaginian players see Zulu and Carthaginian units in the city.
              Attached Files
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

@Solo
                No hack job. El Greco assures that he got this results with an accelerated start on a small map.

Comment

Well, seem like I really found out a knot-known bug.

It's not cheated. I just made an accelerated start (2000 bc) on the small world map to test how the game will react (we all know how small THAT world map is). By the third or fourth time i got that as a result. You can test it for yourself. Take these settings:

Difficulty: one of the easier, because you can choose to start at 2000 bc on the easy levels, where there is a greater chance for this bug to appear.

Seven civs

and of course accelerated start.

Note: this is only possible if the starting positions are not randomized. Otherwise, you'll propably won't start with the number of opponents you have choosen.

Comment

It's a bug, not a hack.

I saw the same thing using 'accelerated start' on the premade small world map. Weird.

Oops, sorry Greco, posted before I saw your reply, Thanks for this oddity, a new one to me.

Comment

Speaking of oddities ... I saw one in a recent game. I discovered a hut near the Zulu capitol on a plains square which had been irrigated and roaded.

How did the AI do that without tipping the hut?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Nothing is ever certain in the game. Yesterday I received a Nomad from a hut on a plains square

---------------------------------------

SG(2)
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                          Nothing is ever certain in the game. Yesterday I received a Nomad from a hut on a plains square SG(2)
                          Why not ?
                          JCP
                          Paris, FRANCE

Comment

JCP ... until then I had always believed that Advanced Tribes came from plains/grassland tiles and nomads came from the other terrain types.

------------------------------

SG(2)
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Okay, I belive.

Come to think of it, the designers of the accelerated start were not restricted by the rules enforced upon us players and the map editor. Very little time for debugging that section of software, I guess!

If the accelerated start feature can be used with a custom map, it might be some fun to make one with just a spot or two of land, just to see where all the cities might end up.

Comment

Working...
                              X