island hopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• island hopping

Since I build more important wonders than the Lighthouse (you really don't need it), my triremes (with 2 diplos on them) sail along the coasts, looking for islands and continents. They hop from island to island (as the US Forces did in the Pacific in WW II).Sometimes they sail along the poles, picking the benefits of goody huts (barbs on the poles won't hurt you), gold, units,settlers, techs.
    My triremes are converted to caravels when I get Leo's and Navigation. Sometimes I can bribe a barb caravel long before navigation is discovered .
    But, as I mentioned, the Lighthouse is no "must have" - in my eyes its a minor WoW.
    Last edited by ramses II.; October 7, 2002, 08:04.
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

No Lighthouse - no Super IronClads - long live the Lighthouse!!

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I can only reinforce what [1] above. The Lighthouse is a grossly underrated wonder. Not only super ironclads, but also the ability to trade overseas and island hop without hugging the coast.

Yes, long live the Lighthouse

---------------------

SG(2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I too built rarely the lighthouse until I had discovered the Strat Forum.
        It is one of the best on archipelago map, even better than the Colossus...
        googol... this is a number!
        "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
        "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

Very nice in MP. Vet ships can rule the seas. You can jam caravans down their throats, and keep them from doing it to you. Vet ships don't always win in combat but most of the time they do.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
            No Lighthouse - no Super IronClads - long live the Lighthouse!!

SG[1]
            Not really, just build Suntsu and your clads will become vets after they kill their first unit.

On an island map the only wonder thats beter then LH is Magalans.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Very nice in MP. Vet ships can rule the seas. You can jam caravans down their throats, and keep them from doing it to you. Vet ships don't always win in combat but most of the time they do.
              That is the exact strategy I was using in a game with Deity/Berz/Dang.

In that game I was highly criticized for not playing nice. Deity even said I used poor strategy by not developing a trade partner.

Who needs a partner on an island map with the lighthouse.

Comment

I had no idea that the US Navy used triremes in WWII...

Seriously, though, I like the LH, if I can get it. That's the key - normally in SP I'm gunning for HG/Col/MPE and am lucky to get all of those. Are you LH guys getting those wonders as well?? If not... where do you rank LH in importance, among the ancient wonders?

Certainly in MP, LH becomes much more valuable... humans put up a much more vigorous resistance to having caravans forced upon them than the AI does, I expect!
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

In SP I usualy go for LH/HG/Pyr as early wonders but its a bit tricky to get them all.

In MP LH as well as Magalans become too important, not only becouse of caravan delivery but if you can defend at sea you're saving a lot of resources becouse you dont have to build a strong defence force.

Comment

The more water there is the more important Lighthouse can be.Likewise if you are stuck on an island that is too small for much.

Every wonder has it's strengths.Cept Eiffel of course.That one could not be anymore useless.Video is not bad
                    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

In SP, the AI's ocean-going Triremes only begin to make up for AI weakness. To use LH is unsporting. Just wait for Nav or bribe a pirate. It is disappointing enough when the AI that has LH only builds a handful of ships to challenge you.

Smash, don't you think it's wonderful that Eiffel makes the AI like you right up to the moment you feel the knife between your ribs?
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                        That is the exact strategy I was using in a game with Deity/Berz/Dang.

In that game I was highly criticized for not playing nice. Deity even said I used poor strategy by not developing a trade partner.

Who needs a partner on an island map with the lighthouse.
                        I agree, and if they can't take a joke...........

But in some games, it might be advantageous to have one trading partner, just to keep them from partnering with someone else. Why should they get all the benefits, as in both sides of the trade. It depends on who you're playing and the situation, but I will admit, that it's fun to control the sea ruthlessly.

In SP, might as well wait for NAV>
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, the first time I built it I was thrilled all the civs liked me.A shining example of peace and cooperation in the world.

Then the nukes started falling......
                          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I build the Lighthouse in nearly every MP game I play. Atawa said it perfectly when he said a few good ships can substitute for a bigger costlier land based defence.
                            Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

Working...
                            X