Archipelago or huge continent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archipelago or huge continent

What do you like better? I prefer huge continent. It's easier to meet other civs and to extinguish them
    But on archipelagos, there's more fertile land and less deserts and tundras. For players like Scouse Gits[1] the optimal playground (crooks and clads ...)
    So my question:
    What do you prefer? A world full of islands or huge continents?
    archipelagos
    55.56%
    normals sized continents
    11.11%
    huge continents
    16.67%
    Ca m'est egale
    16.67%
    Last edited by ramses II.; July 4, 2002, 04:29.
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Guess how I voted
    On a huge continent you miss out on half the tech tree and units - much simpler and (for me) less interesting game.

Ramses (by the way in english this is Rameses) does 'Ca m'est egale translate' as 'Banana'

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

@SG[1]
      Yes - it means "I have no preference" or "doesn't matter".
      Thought it was an idomatic expression that is know to everybody - sorry.
      There are no silly questions - only silly answers
      <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

Sorry, Ramses - it was intended as a (rather poor) joke - my French is up to the phrase (but see below) but were you to look in the OT forum it has become a tradition to include a 'banana option' for the don't care voter and I was alluding to this...
        below ...
        Post-war English (I cannot speak for American) now includes the expression "San fairy Anne" which is a corruption of 'Ca ne fait rien' and to the Brit this is the more familiar expression

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I want the Banana option!

but I've voted for Archipelago... trade bonuses+amphibious assault+naval battles = more fun!!!
          googol... this is a number!
          "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
          "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

In true french, it's "ça m'est égal", or better : "cela m'est égal".
            But for your handicapped computers (without accents or cedillas), the banana (in french banane) option is more international !
            JCP
            Paris, FRANCE

Comment

I prefer archipelagos, if only because I like ships and explorers. And ironclads. Many ironclads.

I also prefer warm, wet worlds with much jungle. Better chance of city spots with bananas...
              The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
              intelligence to few.

Comment

All of them have their merits. But I sometimes specifically try to get drier worlds so I can have deserts, and the oasis lands that come with them. I love oases.
                Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I favor the archipelago option. I wish there was a better way to get "Islands" of small continent size. I love the offshore trade that preceeds the invasion phase.

The "let's me meet the other civs" aspect of single continents is mostly met thru MPE and map trading.

For most of the players here the outcome is never in doubt; it is only a question of time before you win against the AI. Islands, trading, clads, invasion fleets make that time more interesting to me.

There is usually at least one AI on the same land mass anyway, so if you must get your kicks, you can send them a troup of vet ellies and listen to their fearsome attack roar. Such a cool game!!
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

archipelago!! i love sea battles... as well as massive sneak attacks via sea

but dominating the seas is usually easier than dominating the land... kind of unbalances the game if someone gets lighthouse and magellans
                    I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Depends on SP or MP, In MP, I want early and often conflict. A large land mass helps with that.

On SP, I want a mix. But I don't play SP anymore.

RAH
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Huge continents. I like to compete with the AI for wonders. With many rivals on the same continent, I can demand tribute which is a huge benefit in rushing caravans.

Comment

Arch -- more water for arrows & population per game board.

Also, the ai doesn't seem to expand across seas well.
                          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Continents and islands each have their advantages, well enumerated above. I prefer to be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Old n Slow
                              Also, the ai doesn't seem to expand across seas well.
                              Like the AI needs an additional handicap.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X