flat map or tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat map or tube?

I prefer the flat map. Easier for me to keep my situational awareness and none of that boring polar terrain. What do y'all think?

On random maps, I'll take the tube - I don't like having the edge get in the way of exploration and strategy. However, I play most of my civ games on real-world edited maps, and those are usually flat.
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

Random maps? Tube. It feels a little more realistic for an entire world.

Scenarios: Whatever is appropriate for the scen.
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Random maps, tube. Even the polar edges annoy me. Real-world maps really bug me, because I actually have some idea what should be in that black space.

Comment

Tube. But I hear what you're saying about losing situational awareness. I remember my failed CtP experiment with the 'donut' maps... on large maps I had transports totally lost!

At least in the real world, the polar ice caps keep you from forgetting which way is 'up'.

STYOM
          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

either OK. "Real world" has length > 2·height for cylindrical approximation; nobody makes maps like that ("x axis" > "y axis" considering column splitting).
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
            X