Is the elephant too powerful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the elephant too powerful?

I think the elephant is a huge imbalance to civ2 combat because you can often romp around with it before the AI has pikemen. When you use the big 4-1-2 guys with an early monarchy and ICS, its just too good.

I was just thinking... wouldn't it be great if you could stack them with Impi... but unfortunately they are in different games.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

It is a good unit to have at that time, but I don't think it's unbalanced. It's no stronger than a legion on the attack, and weaker than a catapult. The 2 moves mean the AI might actually be able to threaten you...
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

Comment

while the ellies are strong, i prefer knights (mobile legion) . The ai likes to use them and will romp all over newbies if you allow the indians or the mongols access to such creatures

that said, by the time the ai has ellies....i am well on my way with my horde of dragoons/cannons/muskets if not better!
      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Apart from the times the AI gives itself Dumbos as a starting tech to make up for its crappy grassland on river 4 whale start.
        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
          Apart from the times the AI gives itself Dumbos as a starting tech to make up for its crappy grassland on river 4 whale start.
          Hydey, that spot doesn't have a single hill square! Please be fair to the AI.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

I remember the civ1 days when the all powerfull chariot was ones choice of attack...... that unit unbalanced the early game against the ai lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hydey
              And where the AI will build the city anywhere but the middle of the special pattern.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How long were you playing Civ1 before you "discovered" the sweet spot? That should've been in the Civ2 AI from the start.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The only thing wrong with the elephant is it is more powerful than chariots and usually you get it sooner. Why bother with chariots when you can have elephants? It will be time to learn what a wheel is when you have smashed all those puny neighbors. Knights are far inferior, since by the time they come in, pikemen are defending cities. Plus 2 defense is worth little. Give me one crusader instead.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

2x2x duels are usually decided by elephants and horses quite early. Unless you're playing on maps large enough that you can't find each other early. Or on islands.

RAH
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i was talking about the ai...i guess it depends on your tech path...i prefer knights to ellies as i got the leos route an not the mono route....

Comment

I never had much luck with elephants.Almost always manage to find a river phalanx or a "Pikeman of Hades" city.

Definitely a kill them before they kill you unit though.A couple out of huts early can be nice
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

agreed Smash..... ellies die at a horrible rate against river phalanx or against pikemen....many times without scratching the opposition....

i will take em for free as stated above.....but i will only build them myself under dire circumstances.... not something that happens against the ai

Comment

I like the sound they make.

Comment

It all depends upon your prefered Tech Path - I race for Crooks - so the odd Ellie en route can be more than a little useful.
                              Also in the Succession Games that have got a new burst of popularity, the 'chosen' tech Path can be 'somewhat confusing' and under these circumstances a vet Ellie can be a fine thing.

SG[1]
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                              X