No palace in capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No palace in capital

Tipping a hut in the beginning of a new game, I found a chariot. It began to explore the neighborhood, looking for good sites, goody huts - and enemies. Two or three turns later it found Berlin. The city was undefended, it was captured before I founded my first city. When I founded my capital, it had no palace.
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Is there a palace in Berlin ?
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

IIRC the only previous occasion that this has been reported is an MGE 'restart' ie a game is started, the first city set down and then without exiting civ a new game is started -- there have been instances of the city list not resetting and no palace being given

Could this apply in your game?

SG[1]
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

It happened without a restart.
        Berlin was captured before founding my first city.
        CIV2, Version2.42
        There are no silly questions - only silly answers
        <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
          IIRC the only previous occasion that this has been reported is an MGE 'restart' ie a game is started, the first city set down and then without exiting civ a new game is started -- there have been instances of the city list not resetting and no palace being given

Could this apply in your game?

SG[1]
          I've had the city list not reset many times as mentioned above when you restart without backing out of civ, but never seen the no palace part.

I believe a flag is set when you own a city (through conquest or creation), that is checked when you create a city to determine whether you get a palace.
          This was done to close the loophole in CIV I that allowed you to sell your palace then create a new city (get palace) and sell it again. We used to set up settler farms and generate over 5000 a turn just creating/selling palaces.

My suggestion would be to just not conquer a city before placing your first one down. That is a rare occurance and the only time I've seen it is when we were playing the nomad challange. Since we could only have cities that we conquered, the first one wouldn't have a palace. Of course we would wait till we got masonry and enough money from huts so we could rush build one right away.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"We used to set up settler farms and generate over 5000 a turn just creating/selling palaces."

Wouldn't that take 50 new cities?!?!?
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

IIRC it was 300 for each sold palace. So only 25 or so new cities. (the extras needed to generate the money to rush buy the settlers) That would be 50 settlers each producing a city then settler every other turn. Some of our farms were even bigger. But after awhile it gets too tedious and just how much money do you need.

Usually just made due with 30 or so settlers in the farm.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've had the no palace thingie happen before. Can't remember the exact parameters that caused it. Also, I seem to remember us discussing this before (a few years ago.)

Comment

If your 1st city is a captured/advanced tribe, you get no free palace. Free palace is on your 1st city only if you build it. I've had this happen to me more than once, until i figured it out.

JH
                  There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives. :)

Comment

you can get a city without a palace from a hut after 1500bc...its happened to me a handfull of times now when i go on huge hut tipping extravaganzas....

its rare, but then again i don't usually tip past 1500bc very often.....

i have never seen it before that.......and if you do capture a city....you won't get a capital when you build your own
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                    X