ICS deontology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS deontology

What's the normal behavior with improvements in ICS ?
    Recently, I play CivII stricly following the ICS (Infinite City Stategy), as summarized in DaveV paper (cf. the Great library).
    If the principle is un discuss in the beginning of the party, at a moment of the game, you have to face the others civilizations to expend. So, under Communism or Fundamentalism, you conquer cities after cities, by force or by bribing.
    But at this stage of the play, AI cities have built a lot of improvements.
    What is the logic behavior in this situation, according of the rules and the spirit of ICS ?
    How do you play?

Personnaly, I think that I have to sell gradualy (one in a turn) the improvements (not the Wonders of the World which are allowed) and to reduce population of each city to 8 by building engineers.
    But the task of a leader is not to starve his own population : selling some improvements as harbours may be deleted ?
    What's your experience ?
    ?
    JCP
    Paris, FRANCE

-Nevermind
    Last edited by Kataphraktoi; May 26, 2002, 14:22.
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

deontology: Noun, the theory or study of moral obligation
      JCP, how does a resident of Paris, France -- an apparent non-native English speaker -- come up with the word "deontology"? My college minor was English and I read a lot, but I don't recall ever encountering it.

Seems to be used properly. Good job.

I'm not an ICS'er so I can't answer your question. My guess is that they don't bother to sell improvements and reduce population; just a guess though.

Comment

Campo, I don't want to lessen JCP linguistic performance, but in french "deontology" happens to be... "déontologie"...

You might be surprised at the amount of uncommon (as in too complicated, or too literary) words a native french speaker might be able to use quite fluently in english!

Actually, I have more problems with the common sentences...

Anyway: Well done, JCP...
        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

and - on topic * cough * - Pure 'Iron-Man' ICS as advocated by DaveV's paper is just one form of worship to the Deity - there are several variants the primary common ground being the placing of expansion before improvements. However, if you are trying to ICS in Republic or without Wonders you rapidly find many Temples being built - several variants accomodate the concept of a SSC or a Super Trade City both of which will need a fair number of improvements - and if you get some free from a friendly neighbouing ex-civilisation - why not make the most of them?

My ontology is not to allow moral obligations to interfere with pragmatic success - but then I have been called a Rabid Aggressive Rodent

SG[1]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Most hard core ICSers would say just do what is convenient. No requirement to disband improvements if they are usefull, but they (ok...I) would probably build a lot of engineers out of the city. And I would sell improvements that I don't need. definitly sell tjhe grwoth oriented ones (sewer, aquaduct). Sell others as the city shrinks (temple for instance.)

Getting back OFF Topic, how come we see so few Freench people at this site...or on the Internet? We've got tons of Finns and they are a puny country.

Comment

We don't speak French, so we are beneath them, and unimportant.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't ics as a norm but when I do I don't build any improvements.
                just:
                settlers/engineers
                defenders/garrison
                cutting edge attackers
                camels
                boats
                dips
                -basically only units.

thats about it.Maybe I build up a super science city/capitol so I may want 1 or 2 early granaries.Gardens and Michs are most helpful.SoL is almost a must for early Commie.Actually,The Gardens may be vital as well.

Its a quantity over quality thing.Sheer numbers to just overwhelm.
                The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

NO!!!!

If you get SOL you got fundie, especially if you have Mikes!! GEEZ. You don't have an ICS attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrion
                    You might be surprised at the amount of uncommon (as in too complicated, or too literary) words a native french speaker might be able to use quite fluently in english!
                    When the Normans (Vikings settled in Normandy) conquered England in 1066, they brought the french language with them and it was adopted by the English people, especially when there was new words or concepts. The original English was very rich in description names and verbs of action, those have mainly nothing to do with french, but the English language was poorer in words of philosophy, diplomacy or feelings and it's there you find the french words.

Some complain in France that the English is invading "la langue française", but historically, it has mostly been the other way around
                    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      NO!!!!

If you get SOL you got fundie, especially if you have Mikes!! GEEZ. You don't have an ICS attitude.
                      Yeah - (2) and i are at loggerheads on that one - I go Fundy, but he has theis predilection for commie -- strange world

SG[1]

Comment

(2) sounds like he still has some wimpy builder inhibitions.

Comment

GP get your Civ CD and start playing. Another armchair general....

-------------------

SG(2)

Comment

hehehe..if it works for DaveV then it will certainly work for me.Commie rules
                            Remember Arii's early landing on small map?...yup a commie empire for most game
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                              We don't speak French, so we are beneath them, and unimportant.
                              ...beneath whom?
                              Remember: 'Liberté EGALITE Fraternité'*
                              If those three simple words were really in action all around the world, I guess the world would be somewhat better than it actually is.
                              (* I hope I don't need to translate ).
                              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Working...
                              X