Huts huts huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huts huts huts

Huts are a key aspect of many civ2 games, bringing money, units, techs and civs for free and sometimes in large amount. But I feel we do not know enough about them. I propose we summarize what we know and do more tests to extand our knowldege.
    I hope some crazy testers will join me !
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Let’s see what we know and don’t know.
    All informations are for deity/raging hordes.
    (I don’t consider here the hut pattern that is quite well known)

The outcome of huts depends :
    a) on the terrain
    b)on the techs discovered
    c) on the year that have passed.

You might get from huts :
    1) units
    2) techs
    3) barbarians
    4) money
    5) advanced tribes
    6) nomad settlers

1) The outcome of units is described in the barbarians papers, it depends on the techs discovered and on the terrain.
    2) You only get techs until YOUR discovery of invention.
    3) You don’t get barbarians until you found a city, and not more than 1 in the first 50 turns (1500bc). The barbarian papers explain how they come out.
    4) You can get a sum form 25 to 200 gold. I think you can’t get more than 100 until 1000ad.
    5) You get advanced tribe from plairie and grassland terrains. They are of size 1 until 1000 ad. Then, they range from size 1 to 4, with 1 to 4 improvement of cost 1 in them.
    6) You get nomad settlers from glacier, jungle, swamp, desert, mountain, tundra, hills and forest.
    Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe

Comment

What I strongly suspect :
      5) On unexplored island, you much more likely to find advanced tribes. Probably that huts on the coast are more favorable too.
      6) You don’t get nomads after a certain period or tech. Is it Explosives. They are more likely on some terrains than others. Forest should be the best.

What I don’t know but would like to !
      Huts outcome might depend, but I have no proof of it :
      d) on the direction from which you open them
      e) on the characteristics (civilized/militaristic expansionist/perfectionist) of the civ you are playing with
      f) on its distance from the nearest city
      g) on the direction of the nearest city or capitol
      h) on the nature of the units opening them (explorers, diplos, 1 move, 2 move units).
      i) on the number of squares explored around the hut before a unit moves in.
      j) the positions on the powegraph (the weaker you are, the more favorable).
      k) the type of governement
      l) if the unit is veteran or not
      m) what was open in the last hut

Any opinion, any other idea. Anything that I have forgotten.
      I shall start my testing !
      Last edited by Julius Brenzaida; April 24, 2002, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida

I shall start my testing !
        Hehe. Good luck. You are clearly a very patient person.

Comment

5) You get advanced tribe from plairie and grassland terrains. They are of size 1 until 1000 ad. Then, they range from size 1 to 4, with 1 to 4 improvement of cost 1 in them.
          If I remember right last year sombody in this forum said, that he got a size 12 or so city with a wonder inside.

there is also a number
          7) nothing happens

In my opinion, there is a internal timer wich triggers the thing coming up. The timer is initialised by the starting time of civ and stops at the time when the hut was opened.

Comment

What I strongly suspect :
            5) On unexplored island, you much more likely to find advanced tribes. ...

f) on its distance from the nearest city
            I suspect f) is the key to finding more advanced tribes. I've played mediterranean maps (one huge continent, a few islands) hundreds of times, often with real start positions for ~5 civs. If nobody starts in the Ukraine or Caucasus, I've found that I almost always get advanced tribes if I am the first to tip the huts in that area. That is, the nearest cities are in anatolia, the danube, or persia, 30+ squares away.
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

I think that you get "advanced tribes" on starting locations of missing civs. some maps have different starts for each civ whether they're in the game or not.

Comment

Working...
              X