The most important unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most important unit

What's the most important, most powerful unit?
    The settler. And the caravan. Or vice versa.
    What do you think about that?
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

I think I might go for Caravan & Diplo - but it is close
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Spy's have quite some power and they are reusable(vs diplo)

(settlers are just very much needed for developement and polution counteracting.)

Shade
      ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
      "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
      shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

settlers to get your cities down....
        diplos for "missions"
        caravans to make your empire rich....
        spies to continue your "missions"
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

well,you won't get far without some settlers but I would go with the mighty camel.They get the nod over dips as I can control things more with camels.If I'm using dips that means I am lagging most likely.And if you(the other guys) don't have any tech,the diplomat science program doesn't work.
          Dips/spys would be very close second.Even first in some situations.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Without the settler, you could never expand, making it the most important unit.

Now, in the end game, I'd give that title to mech. infantry. God I love them. Combined with SDI, City walls, Missle defense, coastal, etc... I can make nearly any city impenetrable!
            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
            Drake Tungsten
            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
            Albert Speer

Comment

Without doubt its Spies.

From a cost/benifit point of view, they are brilliant

Comment

Camel (and the 4 wheeled camel version of later stages) - it is the key to become "THE Civ".
                Diplos (and the breasted version of later stages) - to mantain your "THE Civ" status.

Settlers of course are the Civ
                googol... this is a number!
                "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

camels

you can do OCC without settlers, but i don't think you can pull it off without caravans
                  Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Settler....
                    and howitzer!
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Definately spies.

It's very very easy to buy entire civilizations with spies in a Fundamentalist government. The only city you need to attack is the capital. And even then, use a bunch of spies to knock down the walls before you do. With diplomats it's tough to destroy walls since they are used up and don't get to choose a target like the spy. Plus, all the units are still in the city you buy. No need to garrison.

I don't need many settlers... maybe on Deity. I will buy almost the entire map.

Caravans / Freight are good for rushing wonders, but nowhere as important as spies.

Howitzers are only important if the civ you're fighting is a democracy... otherwise you can buy their cities with spies.

Love those spies. And so shapely.

Comment

Pah! What can possibly beat the heart-attacks you get when yet another trireme sinks because the captain is drunk or something.

Sure, the spy and the settler are effective but as for entertainment: the trireme.

Plus it sounds freaky when you attack with it, like when someone flushes the toilet.
                        Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

the only thing i can see against not saying the settler is OCC - granted you need to settler to build that city and improve the surroundings, but in games liek that caravans (!!!) and diplos/spies are far more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlov

Plus it sounds freaky when you attack with it, like when someone flushes the toilet.
                            LOL

... even if the thread was about the most important unit!
                            googol... this is a number!
                            "Silence Ming. I will let you know when I feel you are needed." - HappySunShine
                            "Classic Eyes...But in reality, it works the other way around." - Ming

Comment

On second thought I would like to nominate the chariot. It's so overwhelmingly powerful I don't know how I could win without them.

Comment

Working...
                              X