• Show
Clear All

• Combined Sea-Land-Attack

When I have to attack a coastal city in the later game, i need
    a) two transports
    b) two engineers
    c) howitzers, armours and so on
    d) 1-3 bombers (carrier/airbase/city)
    First, i move the two engineers to the shore just onto the square next to the AI-city. They build a fortress (sometimes they build an airbase). Then I land the other units on that fortified square. Bomber #1 will protect my units for one turn. Bomber #2 will do it the next, then bomber #3.

What do you think about this tactic?
    There are no silly questions - only silly answers
    <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Re: Combined Sea-Land-Attack

Originally posted by ramses II.
    When I have to attack a coastal city in the later game, i need
    a) two transports
    b) two engineers
    c) howitzers, armours and so on
    d) 1-3 bombers (carrier/airbase/city)
    First, i move the two engineers to the shore just onto the square next to the AI-city. They build a fortress (sometimes they build an airbase). Then I land the other units on that fortified square. Bomber #1 will protect my units for one turn. Bomber #2 will do it the next, then bomber #3.

What do you think about this tactic?
    nice tactic...
    an other one:
    a)one ship with transport capabilities
    b)one spy/diplo
    c)tons of cash
    =>bribe => easy effective and you get troops

Shade
    ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
    shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Nice tactic,too, but i've seen cities demand up to 27.000 Gold. That's too much.
      There are no silly questions - only silly answers
      <a href="http://www.sethos.gmxhome.de">Strategy Guide</a>

Comment

Originally posted by ramses II.
        Nice tactic,too, but i've seen cities demand up to 27.000 Gold. That's too much.
        and if you wait a little it folds back to 300G
        (or is this solved under the 2.42patch?)

Shade
        ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
        "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
        shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Shielding ground units with bombers is a bit of an exploit. But why not, the AI can still attack it if it has flight. One question, tho - why build the fortress if you float a bomber above the ground units? No land unit can attack anyway.
          The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
          intelligence to few.

Comment

I'll bite - there's always one.

I've never though of shielding with air units as an exploit, no more so than any ZOC tricks. You make the case pretty well yourself - fighters can attack. That also is probably why Ramses builds the fortress.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
              Shielding ground units with bombers is a bit of an exploit. But why not, the AI can still attack it if it has flight. One question, tho - why build the fortress if you float a bomber above the ground units? No land unit can attack anyway.
              there can be a plane inside the city
              Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
              Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
              miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

I'll go with the Marquis on this. I don't believe it was ever intended that bombers could be used as protection for land units. Thus it is 'an exploit' as the Marquis puts it so diplomatically - of course in SP you can do whatever you like, but there are some 'rules' for comparison and competition - no using the airbase on hill trick for instance - or no rehoming of caravans for another - I think exploiting the bomber this way is definitely iffy - sorry Xin that apples to the X-pack too.
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Even so you'd probably agree this one is close, unlike say airbase farming or numerous other things I would consider blatant cheats. As to intentions IIRC SMAC has a similar system where ZOC from air units protect grpund units.

Comment

Seems unnecessary to me. For the cost of two bombers, you could have three armours or howitzers which would be more useful. The ai won't mount an effective attack against armour in a fortress, and the next turn you will capture the city.

Comment

It just seems so much easier to use stealth bombers from a city, or even on a carrier, and bomb them, and chute in a parachute guy...
                      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                      Drake Tungsten
                      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
                        there can be a plane inside the city
                        But fortresses have no effect against air attacks. And the fighter would attack the best defender - an armor unit in this case - and lose.
                        The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                        intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
                        X