Please explain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain.

Can you please explain why a city with 28 can have 150 science.

Here comes the city:
    1:Lib (50%)
    2:Uni (50%)
    3:Cope's (50%)
    4:Newies (100%)

He has 90% used in science, in Democracy.
    There is no day of Celibration.
    He has not completed SETI's.
    It is the capital.
    4 of the 28 trade is from using caravans towards other nations.

My (grand) total of science in this city would be 3.5*25= 98
    There is a diff. of 52.

Please explain what is causing this diff.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more then your enemy. -Sun Tzu

Have you count scientists? One scientist=3*3.5=10.5, 5 scientists=52.5 round down to 52.

Comment

28 trade x 90% = 25.2 science, round down to 25

library and university each add 1/2 of that (12 for library, 13 more for univ) = 50

Despite what the Civilopedia says, it's actually Copernicus that doubles science and Newton that adds half, not the other way around. These Wonders are multiplicative, so you get 50 x 2 x 1.5 = 150 science.

A research facility would add another 50% to the base, giving 62 x 2 x 1.5 = 186. I think SETI would also be additive rather than multiplicative, and only one or the other would take effect.

Comment

Xin Yu- There were no scientists.

Debeest- Thanks for explaining. This civilopedia brought me on the wrong foot I guess
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more then your enemy. -Sun Tzu

Comment

Yep, I think debeest is right.

Comment

freshman tested and discovered that SirIsaac's college only increased improvement arrows, not the base trade created by the city's workers. C's Observatory doubles the whole base number.

Edit: In case anybody wants details, I think the thread was titled "The Science of Science", right here in the strategy forum...
            The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
            intelligence to few.

Comment

I think it would be more accurate to say that Isaac (and Copernicus, I would have thought, but perhaps not) ONLY WORKS if there is a science improvement, but then multiplies the combined base-and-improvement science.

Comment

Working...
              X