Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone actually build Gararies in civ2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by Ming on 04-27-2001 09:44 AM
    In MP, if you know the game is only going to last one long session, The Pyramid is a sure fire way to look good on the final powergraph
    quote]

I love the pyramids..... i know it bs as far as the powergraph goes....after all pop is way overated......

However..... fast growth does lead to more workers which means more shields and more trade...... Most use WLT*D to grow..... its quick and done right its efficient. Add the pyramids to this and your cooking.

Last night i wandered till 3250 in an MP game which gernerally means a quick death..... one guy had a size 3 and a 2 on the top five and the other guy had two size 2 cities.... end of the game i was first in population. I had crap land...hills and plains mainly and had i icsed they would have been in trouble.... but thats another story based on hindsight etc....

I had only one wonder and not as much science as the others but i was holding my own.... i wasn't a monarchy until 1850 bc..... so screw happy wonders.... i firmly believe they only make it easier to win .... learning to play without them as i have done so many times now i feel as though i am a better player.

As a rule though i don't build granaries not unless i have Adam Smiths.... and even then i build them after i have it and when i can't build libraries, markets, barracks, or coastal fortresses etc....... so they are waaaaaaaay down on my list.
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Like War4 I don't build granaries. I WLTLD.

I am a multiplayer at Deity level.

------------------
      Founder, Dear Leader and Great Helmsman of PROT -the People's Republic of Topics www.delphi.com/prot1

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ajli@home on 04-29-2001 02:31 AM
        Granaries are incredibly important if you want to crank out 5 villies at the speed of 3. Build them at the first 2 cities that you found. Make sure to build lots of garrisons (crappy warriors) to keep the peace. I never build temples until at least the discovery of philosophy. Until then, make sure you build enough villies to decrease growth and enough warriors to control the pop.

Two countries separated by a common language - - what the hell is a 'villy'???????????????????????

------------------
        Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
        "The Great Library has been built!"
        "A short cut has to be challenging,
        were it not so it would be 'the way'."
        - Paul Craven
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-30-2001 07:25 AM
          Two countries separated by a common language - - what the hell is a 'villy'???????????????????????

i think its villa's...... ie towns but smaller
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I'll build granaries in 1x, but not 2x.
            I'll also consider Pyramids in 1x.
            Power Graphs are a snapshot in time, over valuing population.

------------------
            It's In The Way That You Use It
            Tuatha De Danann Tribe

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by East Street Trader on 04-26-2001 06:18 AM
              A straightforward strategy to adopt is to steadily expand (always building new settlers at the periphery and founding new cities) but to stay in Monarchy for a looong time so as to keep usable shield production high.

The other huge benefit of extended monarchy is that settlers only eat 1 food instead of 2.

Comment

Ajli appears to be referring to "villies" as villagers. He builds 5 in the time for 3 (an exact effect of granaries). He then builds enough to "slow growth," which I take to mean use up all the good food squares.

I build granaries in the later game for cities where I can't get their excess food above one. Expanding cities with food caravans does work better with granaries in place. However, on Deity, granaries are a big hassle in the early game so the Pyramids are way overrated in that period.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I don't think I have ever built a granery in civ 2 If I wanted their effects I would build the pyramids. Now I don't want to build the pyramids (I play at emporer) because it will cause riots way too easily. I just wait till I have a few happy wonders then take over the pyramids city. If there is a granary in a city I buy or take over I will leave it there till I get pyramids but I never build them. Waste of shields and money b4 adam smiths.
                  "I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
                  Plato

Comment

Working...
                  X