No announcement yet.

Destroying the manhattan project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AI has no concience. If you gave each AI two nukes for deterrance, they'd nuke each other's nukes. If you were ahead, they'd also nuke you. MAD (mutually assured destruction) worked because the nuclear powers at the time all were controlled by people who want to go on living and who worry about mothers, brothers, children, etc. The AIs have none of these.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

been tweaking my rules.txt lately, and I've come up with something else. I can set the expiration tech of wonders. by default, manhattan project is set to "nil" but you could set it to, say, "Las" which means that with the discovery of the laser, the effects of the mahattan project expire.

Don't know if it would work, though. got to try it out.

if it does, you could do the same with Apollo, and hurry to get your ship done before someone discovers stealth and shuts you down
      Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
      ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

No Go. I tried it at an opportune time, and built da nuke project. I immediately built a nuke, then got the message "Stealth cancels the effect of Smokey Da Nuke Project", but I could still build nukes. nice try, but no cigar (unless you count a really tall radioactive cigar)

funny thing, the vikings nuked me the next turn. how'd they build one so fast?

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...

Comment

I think people overlooked this with testing.

You can make MP go obsolete but you ALSO have to do it for the nuclear weapons.

For example just make nuclear weapons go obsolete with say the discovery of stealth and the bombers/fighters will replace the nuke on the city screen. FYI Unfortunately though the AI will still be able to build nukes until they get the technology to make them go obsolete.

Comment

I just tried building mahattan when it was ALREADY expired, and nukes still showed up on the build list. like a switch...

I never thought of that, chris. I need to look over my rules.txt and try it again. making the nukes themselves obsolete......

Comment

Allright! Thanks, chris. you got that one nailed.

I built manhattan, built a nuke, and was building another when I discovered stealth. the nuke I was building morphed into a stealth bomber. the nuke I had was still there.

the only drawback is that it's a civ specific thing, not a global. still, I think it shouldn't be that much of a hassle. makes for a narrow window for nukes, and you still have to watch out for the ones still around from then...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer on 04-30-2001 12:13 PM
                Isn't it somewhat silly to play with the rules to obsolete a tech you don't want? Why not just remove the weapon all together, if that's what your goal. While not endorsing Smokey's language, nuclear weapons are a modern reality that society's so have to deal with. I don't like 'em, but don't think the game is the same without them or at least the threat of them.

Maybe in his civ2 or game scenarios society eventually outgrows the need to eradiate the population of cities and outlaws the nuke... Or perhaps his warmongering society discovers a technology even more devastating then the nuke and makes it obsolete. We are given several custom units/techs for a reason .

Comment

Isn't it somewhat silly to play with the rules to obsolete a tech you don't want? Why not just remove the weapon all together, if that's what your goal. While not endorsing Smokey's language, nuclear weapons are a modern reality that society's so have to deal with. I don't like 'em, but don't think the game is the same without them or at least the threat of them.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                  X