Destroying the manhattan project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Destroying the manhattan project

I was just rereading my civ2 manual for th umpteenth time, and reviewing that if a city with a wonder is destroyed, then the wonder in it is lost forever. I was wondering if you destroyed the city which built the manhattan project before any nukes were built, would nobody be able to build nukes EVER?
    or is it just a switch that once thrown, stays on?
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

I just did a quick test and I discovered that you CANNOT destroy the city with the Manhattan Project.

Edit: I started a new game and used the cheat menu to give me all tech. I then built the MP in a city and let it be over run by barbs. I then recaptured it an even though the city was a size one it didn't die.

------------------
    "Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"

The Official Webpage of the Chrisonian Republic

The Viking Archives
    [This message has been edited by Christantine The Great (edited October 15, 2000).]
    "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
    "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
    "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

Chris, you're wrong. I just did it. I cheated MP in a size 1 city with 1 defender, destroyed the defender, and boom, the city disappeared, and MP was said to be "Lost" on the wonders screen. And the nukes stayed in the game. This was a VERY quick test, so maybe someone else can do it more in depth.

Comment

Hmmnn... I can't help but wonder if it would do the same with the apollo program.
        and Sandmonkey. the nukes stayed in the game, but could you still build more?
        I could imagine a forced bloodlust in which you capture, starve, and turn into a settler the city with Apollo, the all civs can no longer make spaceship parts.
        Nahh, that'd never happen
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

yeah, i just looked on the build orders, and you could still build nukes.

I think it's just a one time flag. Once it's set it doesn't matter what happens to the wonder.

Comment

Once the Manhatten Project or the Apollo Program has been built the ability to build nukes or SS parts is available to all civilizations. The trick is to destroy the shields of the city building the MP as often as needed to prevent the d*mn thing from ever being built!!!!
            A hater of nuclear war!

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
            "The Great Library must be built!"
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

My thoughts exactly. In some games, no matter how hard you try to keep MP from being built, some small AI power builds it and out of nowhere nukes your peripheral cities. Even when you have a perfect reputation. I only wish you could destroy MP to end the threat of nuclear war. Good idea, but it won't work.
              "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Sandmonkey what version did you use? I am using MGE.

------------------
                "Freedom, Trade, Christantine!"

The Official Webpage of the Chrisonian Republic

The Viking Archives
                "I agree with everything i've heard you recently say-I hereby applaud Christantine The Great's rapid succession of good calls."-isaac brock
                "This has to be one of the most impressive accomplishments in the history of Apolyton, well done Chris"-monkspider (Refering to my Megamix summary)
                "You are redoing history by replaying the civs that made history."-Me

Comment

I was able to destroy the city in v. 2.42 and ToT v. 1.1.0 (that being the patched version). Maybe it's an MGE thing.

Comment

first off, da smokes gots ta ask, why da hell would anybody not want nukes. man, i love being nuked, and nuking others even more, and the MP is my top priority. then i just build nukes(to hell with the wonder once it's built) to answer, if the wonder dies, the nukes survuve, and we all build more. ( in real life, did nuke prodution stop after the manhatten progject was done?????????????????hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, so why would the game do it???????
                    "our words are backed by nuclear weapons"
                    "oh, yeah. well, our nukes are backed by 100%money back guarantee, so there."

Comment

I would like to think dl, but it's the wrong forum for that...

Comment

Man its contagious Where's the moderator LOL

Comment

It may be the wrong forum, but that sure as hell smells of dl to me!
                          Ming, Ming where are you?
                          good civin'
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I must agree with SandMonkey and SG1. Read some of the other posts\ topics by Smokey.

On topic I must say that that would be a good way to prevent nuclear war. Have an event that before the city is destroyed let all civs have two nukes as deterrents.

------------------
                            What if the Hokey-Pokey is really what its all about?

Contact me at cpoland@mail.win.org

[This message has been edited by jcarkey (edited October 17, 2000).]

Comment

Yeah... And the damn AI NEVER EVER worries about the global warming when it nukes about one fifth of your cities...

Comment

Working...
                              X