OCC Rules Amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Rules Amendment

How do we feel about building settlers in a size 1 city?

This is good trick if you have some gold but does not seem like it was intended.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

I have used this in the game with the rivermap, but I agree that it was not intended. I believe that it should not be allowed.

Comment

allowed-0
      not allowed-2
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I don't play OCC but I don't think it should be allowed
        "I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
        Plato

Comment

I would say no to rushbuilding, but accept a natural build with high production squares.

Do I have any takers for accepting airbases as an 'engineer upgrade' making them super efficient in the latter stages of the game?

------------------
          Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

No, Scouse Gits, you don't.

And I say no to building Settlers when the city's at size one as well - under any circumstances.

Comment

ok looks it will be a no-no.Since a second city stops it,I beleive this to be correct.

no airbasing in city radius.Too easy to get the # of sheilds while still having enough food for size 35+.Mines give minerals not food.Airbases are bases for aircraft.Not fast food outlets
              [This message has been edited by Smash (edited April 17, 2001).]

Comment

I've used the settler trick, but agree that it should not be allowed, because it gives the user a distorted advantage: early size 3 and early tech lead.

I happen to agree with Scouse Gits about airbases.

Perhaps a new and comprehensive list of acceptable and unacceptable tricks should be made and posted within or right under the Great Library thread. Whether a trick is allowed in posted and/or record shooting games would be decided by player voting. Let the majority rule.

This way, a newcomer (and I am still pretty much in this category) would know what is generally acceptable and what is not. For example, in my 776 landing game, I had just discovered on my own and used the caravan re-homing trick, and was later very embarrassed to discover that this "strategy" was against the rules of the game. Also from reading earlier threads on early landing topics, I had gotten the impression the many were trying for records with previous favorable starts, but I guess I was wrong about this. A clear set of rules or guidelines would be in the interest of all.

Comment

Solo, I would agree that your 776 landing was not entirely passable by the apolyton standards, but you got the record anyway with 1056, so it doesnt matter. By the way, pauls site has a list of OCC rules, but i forgot the link. A lot of people know it, and someones gonna probably post it within minutes anyway.

------------------
                  - SilverDragon, scourge of the western skies

Email me at
                  SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

Strange, there should be a new reply here, but it doesn't show up.

Edit: but now I see it.
                    [This message has been edited by Paul (edited April 22, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 04-15-2001 06:52 PM
                      How do we feel about building settlers in a size 1 city?

This is good trick if you have some gold but does not seem like it was intended.

So far we have allowed this, and I think for good reason.
                      It is not always clear whether it is an advantage, so making the right decision is part of the player's skill.
                      Note that once the Settlers have been built there are several other decisions to be made as well: keep them to work the land, join the city
                      at once or wait til it has grown some.

------------------
                      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
                      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
                      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Airbases - no way!

Settler with size 1 city - not crystal-clear as airbases, but I vote not allowed.

Carolus

Comment

SilverDragon

Yes, I have a copy printed out Paul's guide and go by it when playing OCC games, but its list of tricks which are and are not allowed only contains a few of the many that exist. I was thinking more along the lines of a more comprehensive list that would apply to games outside of the OCC competition.

Comment

Bumped so players of OCC 2003 in the General forum can read it.

Comment

I don't remember this at all. Musta been when I was hybernating.

I don't see this as a "bug" or something the designers didn't foresee. It is clearly a feature designed into the game, it only applies when you have a single city at size 1, and have the resources to build/rush before size 2. It must be fairly common in MP with double production.

With a food special you could wind up growing to size 2 early, shifting to shield-heavy tiles, completing a settler and being in the same position as building at size 1.
                              Last edited by Straybow; October 9, 2003, 21:02.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                              X