No announcement yet.

776 AD landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, that is one impressive log. Good game, good charting, good civ.
    I see the world through bloodshot eyes
    Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Solo, thanks for sharing that log & advices with us. Now I'm going to print that out and read carefully! Thanks again.

Comment

Good game!

I'd like to download the save, can you put it up on a site somewhere? Or maybe send it to Paul, Scouse Gits or Smash? I think they all have web sites, maybe they are so kind to do it for you.

I have problems downloading files from my hotmail account, so I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Carolus

Comment

like Wow!

If you send me the save(s) I can put a link up for download ...

Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          "The Great Library must be built!"
          "A short cut has to be challenging,
          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
          - Paul Craven

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 04, 2001).]
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Velkommen, Carolus!
            Jeg trodde du var langt borte paa veien til AC
            (I thought you were about to reach AC after such a long journey away from us)

------------------
            aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

I will send the save file to Scouse Gits, who offered to make a link available for anyone wishing to download and play the game. I hope to see some more pre 1000 AD landings soon! If so, we could start a club!

------------------
              It is more pleasant to live in the corner of a housetop,
              than in a wide house with a brawling woman.

Comment

I'll join the others in saluting: What a great game, solo! I'm kind of anxious to try this approach myself now, after having played OCC games exclusively for more than a year. I wonder if I've still got the hang of managing mutiple cities - but anyway, this detailed strategy description and log of yours will surely be very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

La Fayette,
                Hvordan kan det være at du taler norsk?
                (How come you speak Norwegian?)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by solo on 04-04-2001 11:05 AM
                  . I hope to see some more pre 1000 AD landings soon! If so, we could start a club!

1) IMO you should start your club with pre 1020 AD landings since arii landed 1015 IIRC. Wine (either Bordeaux or australian or californian) tastes better if you have someone to say cheers to (ask the SGs, AFAIK they have got a lot of training in that field).
                  2) I started a club for those who manage to win the Rome scenario in less than a century (IMO great fun, since the luck factor is reduced to almost nil: no huts, no new wonders apart from the 'historical' ones you get at the start). AFAIK I am the only member up to now. Dave wrote the other day that he was willing to have a try. I would love it if you also tried it once and told us.

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by winston on 04-05-2001 06:27 AMLa Fayette,
                    Hvordan kan det være at du taler norsk?

Kjaerlighet, min venn.
                    Hun var femten da jeg traff henne, like ved det kongelige slottet i Oslo, og det virket som lyn paa meg. Hun heter Ragnhild: et navn som ingen franskmann, bortsett fra meg , greier aa ha i munnen, og bor fremdeles i Paris, saa vidt jeg vet.
                    I don't translate, since I already told Carolus about that two months ago (if you wish to know, you play your next ten games as the Vikings: it should help you learning norwegian).

------------------

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 04-05-2001 07:15 AM
                      ... no huts ...

True on 2.42; strangely enough, there were huts when I loaded this scenario on MGE. I'm playing (at my usual slow pace) with the no-hut version. A fun excercise in ancient warfare...

Comment

La Fayette,
                        Ahh, kærlighed... det lyder som om du har haft en god tid sammen med Ragnhild. Og så har du noget tilfælles med Willy Brandt, som giftede sig med en norsk jente.

Jeg selv er dansk, men vore to sprog er næsten identiske (på skrift i hvertfald - når det tales er det en lidt anden sag... )
                        [/Klingon-like tongue]

Quite impressive, your Norwegian. Try to keep it fresh, it can only be a benefit to you. Especially if you go into oil or sheep's meat.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by winston on 04-05-2001 08:03 AM
                          . Especially if you go into oil or sheep's meat.

... eller dansk fjellssmör (som de sier i Norge ).

Comment

I received an email from Scouse Gits, who has set up links to download the save file for the game:

Hi solo,

Your Civ 2 save file is now available as
                            http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/wittgenst...o/ab_b4000.sav

and in zipped form as
                            http://www.cms.livjm.ac.uk/wittgenst...o/ab_b4000.zip

Scouse Git[1]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer some of the other questions:

arii - Yes, a medium map, which I think gives better terrain for city sites, and is also the standard setting. See the log for excessive strategy details.

La Fayette - I'm intrigued now, and will put the Rome scenario on my list of things to try. I actually know a little French, having lived for awhile in Senegal.

Norwegian speakers - I made it to Norway once, a very beautiful country. I learned about 3 words of the language, but preferred to just listen to and admire the sounds without even trying to comprehend. I tried saying "you are vakkar" to every woman I met, but this did not do me any good!

Comment

Last time I took a sabbatical, (Last summer for 2 months) I was so surprised at how little apolyton had changed. This time, with a one month sabbatical, I am amazed at how much its changed! The GL is practically finished, 776 landings, probably a few more dieties by now... IVE MISSED A LOT! At least the smilies havent changed.

------------------
                              - SilverDragon, scourge of the western skies

Email me at
                              SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

Diety? I was talking Prince-King range play with 1200. On diety I can get around 1850 if I try hard. I'll have to try this sometime again.....

------------------
                                Join me in World Conquest

Check out Arcade Portal

Message from an Archangel: Do not try seek perfection for perfection is the most imperfect thing that ever existed.

Comment

Working...
                                X