Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does giving away tech help your science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does giving away tech help your science?

Maybe I've been misreading things, but I think I keep seeing references to giving away techs "helping" your research rate. Now, I know it will help make the AI worshipful, and it will slow AI research down, but I can't see how it helps my research. In fact, lately I've been conducting this experiment: after building the UN (and saving the game), I set my science to zero, change my scientists to tax collectors, note the "discoveries every 'x' turns" number (which is the same as beakers needed for next advance, right?), identify the weakest civ, and give them everything I can -- usually 15-20 techs. Then I check "discoveries every 'x' turns" -- and it's the same. Then I play a few turns and check it again -- and it's still the same. So aside from making some puny civ worshipful, and slowing down still further the game's slowest researcher, what exactly did I accomplish?

------------------
    Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
    -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

You may be trying this a little late in the game, but certainly in the early to middle game generosity of tech gifts to keep all the AIs more or less comparable with each other and quite close to you definitely reduces your beaker cost by 5 to 10% - some of the exponents have reported 15 to 20%, but I haven't seen this personally -- there is as yet no consensus on what exactly is required, but some tests by ?vik? or ?Tom DeMille? in the OCC fortnight threads suggested quite strongly that it was the differential between the sixth civ and yourself that made the difference -- this suggests that once two civs have been eliminated - you're on your own ...

------------------
    Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Well, now I'm intrigued and want to test this. Tell me if this sounds like an adequate test;

1) Begin a game at a good OCC site (I have one saved). Cheat a lot of gold into existence.
      2) Discover 20 techs, while rushbuilding Marco Polo and any improvement that improves science; DON'T trade techs, pop goody huts, or send out caravans; record beakers needed for each tech.
      3) At 20 techs discovered, save. Discover 5 more techs; record beaker count.
      4) Go back to saved game, and use Marco to identify the weakest civ. Give them my many techs. Discover 5 more techs and record beaker count.
      5) Compare

Does this sound like a reasonable experiment, or just an unreasonable waste of my time? If the former, I can probably do it tomorrow.

------------------
      Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Can you can go back to a save in a previous game? It might be quicker and you could avoid using Cheat Mode, which may affect you tests.
        ---------
        SG(2)
        [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 10, 2001).]

Comment

remember that if the proposition above is valid it is the relative position to the 6th civ (not the 7th) that is, perhaps, key ...

------------------

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
          - Paul Craven

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-10-2001 03:20 AM
            Can you can go back to a save in a previous game? It might be quicker and you could avoid using Cheat Mode, which may affect you tests.
            ---------
            SG(2)
            [This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 10, 2001).]

I'll look, but the problem is that I'm pretty lame about exploring, so early in the game I rarely have contact with a lot of civs. Here's a question: how late is too late? Measured in # of techs, not years, I mean.

------------------

Comment

Rufus

If perchance you have a save of the game you tried the give away in, it would be interesting to repeat the give away to the second weakest (assuming there was a full complement of A1 civs still alive).

It would test the proposition that part, or all, of the comparison which the game makes is between the human player's position and the 6th civ's position.

Comment

Yes, EST, but ...

this does get complicated doesn't it -- if you gift civs 6 & 7 with an Encarta or two (and the hypothesis under test is true) your potential gain depends upon the relative positions originally of the 6th and 4th AI - the 4th having just become the critical 6th if you see what I mean ...

I think the 'best' test would be to measure the effect of gifting all to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 civs preferably in ascending order of original knowledge and comparing your beaker costs -- only problem here is that in my experience the d*mn AI won't play the game and promptly refuses to speak to you just when you want to give him everything!!!

------------------

- Paul Craven

Comment

Dear Mr. Firefly,

The number of beakers required for a civ to research a given tech
                  is dependent on its number of acquired techs (starting techs don't
                  count) and the civ's position relative to the average of all civs'
                  acquired techs. If the civ has fewer acquired techs than the average
                  then that civ pays the minimum for its next tech. Otherwise it pays more.

For strategic purposes it is important to know the minimum beaker count
                  for the tech number you are researching. If you are paying more than
                  the minimum, you may be able to reduce your cost by giving away techs.
                  Since your cost is relative to the average of all civs, the more civs you
                  are in contact with, the easier it is to lower your cost.
                  In a seven-civ game I find I need at least three other civs in order to
                  reduce my cost in the early game, later on you need all of them.

Also, having a lot of starting techs is an enormous advantage.
                  They don't count towards your ranking, but when you give them away
                  to other civs they count towards theirs. This allows you to quickly
                  get 'behind' and reduce your cost in the early game.
                  On the other hand, if you have NO starting techs you will only pay the
                  minimum cost when you truly are behind. If you get ahead in the
                  research race you will be paying a premium even if you give everything
                  away.

Here are the minimum beaker counts for the first 19 acquired techs.
                  (Acquired techs are those that you research, obtain in trade,
                  or find in a hut).

These numbers are for Deity, 7 Civs, Medium Map (v2.42)

Tech# x Base = Minimum Cost
                  ----- ---- ------------

1 10 10
                  2 9 18
                  3 10 30
                  4 10 40
                  5 11 55
                  6 11 66
                  7 12 84
                  8 12 96
                  9 12 108
                  10 12 120
                  11 12 132
                  12 13 156
                  13 13 169
                  14 14 196
                  15 14 210
                  16 15 240
                  17 15 255
                  18 15 270
                  19 15 285

From tech # 20 on up, the base for the minimum cost is 24. For example,
                  the minimum cost for tech # 20 is 480. The min cost for # 30 is 720.

You pay the mimimum if you are below average. If you are average
                  or above, a penalty is added to the base. This penalty increases sharply
                  the farther you are ahead. For example, at tech # 18, the penalty
                  can be as high as +8, meaning that you will pay 18 x 23 = 414.

At the start of each new research, I check the tech cost against the
                  minimum and if I'm paying too much, I give techs to the AI, one at a time
                  until my cost drops to the min. Actually, you can do this any time up to
                  the turn on which the research completes.

Remember too, that giving techs to other civs will slow their research.
                  This may be desirable or not, depending on your strategic objectives.

samson

[This message has been edited by samson (edited April 10, 2001).]

Comment

Samson: My specific question regards how your "beakers needed" count changes, if at all, if you giv techs to another civ. I actually have some very interesting news about that, which I will post shortly.

Meanwhile, while much of what you say is true, I would dispute the numbers in your chart (though I play ToT, not 2.42, so that may explain it). I've conducted the same test myself, through the first 20 techs acquired, and find that the multiplier for 2-6 is 11, not 9 and 10. Moreover, the multiplier for a specific tech could vary slightly from test to test; in one test, the multiplier for 13 techs was 13, while in another it was 14. Since I never traded or gifted techs, and never popped a goody hut, it's not at all clear what caused such variations.

------------------

Comment

Well, now I feel like a real Apolyton: I'm about to challenge conventional wisdom and contribute a bit of knowledge.

NEWS: The "sixth civ" hypothesis regarding gifting techs is incorrect, except in cases of coincidence, and the potential change in beakers needed can be much greater than the 5-10% reported!

Last night I opened 2 saved games and conducted some tests. Both games were ToT, Diety/7/raging. The first game was a large map, the second a medium map.

Test 1
                      In the first game, it was 1905, I was researching Fusion, and the next discovery was going to require a total of 2400 beakers. The game stats for all civs were:

Civilization# of Techs PossessedPosition on Power GraphTechs Received from MeChange in # of Beakers I Need
                      Vikings54426none
                      Babylonians56725none
                      Aztecs71611none
                      Russians67315none
                      Chinese73510none
                      Carthaginians73111-300 (-12.5%)
                      Sioux (Me)782N/AN/A

Test 1a: Give the number of techs listed in column 4, moving through the civs as listed on the table. I started with the Vikings, because they had the least # of techs -- no change. Then the Babs, because they were weakest overall -- no change. Then the Aztecs, because by that time they were #6 in terms of number of techs and #6 on the power graph -- no change. And no change from then on until I gifted the Carthaginians.
                      Test 1b: Give techs only to the Carthaginians. Same change as above.
                      Test 1c: Give techs only to the Chinese, who have the same number of techs as Carthage. No change.
                      Test 1d: Give techs to Carthage one at a time, checking beaker-needed count after each tech. Result: 1-2 techs given = no change; 3-6 techs given = change -150 beakers (-6.25%); 7+ techs given = change as in table above.
                      Conclusion: Gifting techs to the sixth civ was irrelevant. The only civ that mattered was Carthage, #1 on the power graph and tied for #2 in techs. Now the question is: is this because Carthage was Supreme, or because they were ahead of me on the power graph, or because they were right behind me in tech count? Read on!

Test 2
                      In the second game, an OCC game, it was 1894, I was researching Miniaturization, and the next discovery was going to require a total of 2052 beakers. Game stats:

Civilization# of Techs PossessedPosition on Power GraphTechs Received from MeChange in # of Beakers I Need
                      Germans52110none
                      Greeks5528none
                      Spanish 533N/AN/A
                      Indians444N/AN/A
                      Persians475N/AN/A
                      Russians33628-684 (-33.33%)
                      Lydians (Me)607N/AN/A

Test 2a: Give techs to the Germans, because they are supreme; no change.
                      Test 2b: Give techs to the Greeks, because they are the next civ behind me in number of techs. No change.
                      Test 2c: Give techs to the Russians, because they are the next civ ahead on me on the power graph. Voila!
                      Test 2d: Give techs to Russians one at a time, checking beaker-needed count after each tech. Result:
                      1-2 techs given = no change
                      3-5 techs given = -57 beakers (-2.78%)
                      6-8 techs given = -171 beakers (-8.33%)
                      9-11 techs given = -228 beakers (-11.11%)
                      12-14 techs given = -285 beakers (-13.89%)
                      15-17 techs given = -342 beakers (-16.67%)
                      18-20 techs given = -456 beakers (-22.22%)
                      21-23 techs given = -513 beakers (-25%)
                      24-26 techs given = -570 beakers (-27.78%)
                      27+ techs given = -684 beakers (-33.33%)

Conclusions: (1) The only time giving techs away would seem to matter is when you can give them to the next civ above you on the power graph. This would generally mean the 6th civ in OCC, but not elsewhere. It would also seem to imply that, if you are Supreme, you gain nothing by giving away techs. (2) The more techs you give, the more you improve, but you must give at least 3 techs to effect any change.
                      Unanswered questions: What if there are fewer than 7 civs remaining? What if the techs given are extorted from you instead of given? What if techs are traded instead of given? The testing continues...

------------------
                      [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited April 11, 2001).]

Comment

Good Catch

Really good work Rufus - thank you very much - and you were right - the 6th Civ hypothesis did originate in OCC ...
                        the fog of war recedes just a little ...

------------------

- Paul Craven

Comment

Thanks SG! One more thing (for now): In both games, I started with 4 extra techs; in game 1, then, Fusion was the 75th tech I was seeking to acquire, and in game 2 Miniaturization was the 57th tech I was seeking to acquire. Thus, the amount the beakers are reduced by appears to be a multiple of the tech number of the current tech under research, which means what's actually being reduced is the multiplier. In Game 1, then, giving away techs drops the beaker multiplier from 32 (32x75=2400) to 30 to 28. In Game 2, the multiplier is dropped from 36 (36x57=2052) to 34, then 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 27, 26, and finally 24. This seems too sketchy to draw further conclusions from, but it is interesting that in each case the first and last drops were 2xtech number, and the intervening drops (for game 2) were 1x. What's not clear is why, in game 1, the drops occurred at 3 and 7 only, while in game 2 they occurred at 3, 6, 9 etc. Hmm....
                          ------------------
                          [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited April 11, 2001).]

Comment

Rufus,

The reason my beaker chart differs from yours is that mine is for
                            the MINIMUM beakers required. Your multiplier is higher for some
                            of the early techs because your civ was not getting the lowest rate.
                            That is also what caused the variations you saw. You were paying
                            different rates because of different rankings.
                            The importance of knowing the minimum cost for a specific tech being
                            researched is to know how much you are overpaying for that tech.

There are also MAXIMUM costs that you will pay if you are the top-ranked
                            civ. The maximum cost gets higher relative to the minimum as the tech#
                            increases.

I knew from looking at your numbers that both of your games started
                            with 4 techs because of the multipliers involved. In the first game,
                            for the 75th tech you were paying 2400 which is +600 over the minimum
                            of 1800 (75*24). However, you were only able to lower your cost by 300.
                            In the second game, as the lowest power-ranked civ, you were able to
                            get down to the base 24 multiplier and pay the minimum.

I think you are onto something with the powergraph connection.
                            My testing was mainly with OCC games and my assumption of an 'average'
                            tech ranking appears to be incorrect.

Since tech is part of the powergraph equation, perhaps you can lower
                            your powergraph ranking in the first game by giving techs to
                            the other civs. You won't get an immediate beaker reduction from this
                            but when the civs are re-ranked after the next oedo year,
                            you should drop and, maybe, so will your beaker requirements.

The two things required for a Minimum Cost of Research Strategy are to know
                            what the minimum IS (and when you are paying too much) and how to lower it.
                            Your powergraph idea looks promising for refining the second aspect.

Thanks for sharing.

samson

P.S.
                            The drop in beaker cost by 3 techs given might be related to the fact
                            that 2.67 techs are one powergraph point.

[This message has been edited by samson (edited April 11, 2001).]

Comment

Magnificent.

Just magnificent.

Well caught indeed.

And explained with great clarity, to boot.

The only question remaining is whether the Firefly phenomenon is the more worthy of this year's Apolyton oscar or oedo's xxxo.

In any event we now have two MAGNIFICENT nominations.

Comment

Working...
                              X