Coastal Fortress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal Fortress

Why doesn't a coastal fortress give the defensive bonus against Ironclads? Does the ship need a certain hp or fp for the coast. fort. to have an effect? Somehow my Apline Troop got it's butt railed by an ironclad, and I wanna know why the Coastal fotress didn't kick into gear to help out.

does the coastal fortress count for lower ships than the ironclad? I remember noticing the same problem, years ago.. haven't played in ages though

Comment

SandMonkey - Didn't you get the window

"Coastal Fortress in wherever doubles defences"?

--------

SG(2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

It should have clicked in... I've seen the "double defense" window pop up every time an iron clad has attacked one of my cities with a costal fortress??????
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

nope, no window, no nothing. This has happened to me before... ticks the living hell outta me. I dunno something must be messed up in my game. Just making sure I wasn't missing somehting obvious...

Comment

Ihave seen a post at civfanatics that the coastal fortress will not work in your capital city.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

SandMonkey:

You're not alone — I've had this happen to me as well. The effect seems to be a hit-n-miss and I'm not sure if the text box is merely failing to pop up (but the defense factor works) or if the coastal fortress is wholly ignored by the AI.

CYBERAmazon
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

This has happened to me to, in a recent game at Emperor. At first I thought it was a failure of the text box to appear; then I noticed I was losing fortified riflemen to ironclads. Clearly the costal fortress wasn't doing squat. Happened in more than one city, too, though I don't think it happened in my capital. Curiouser and curiouser.

------------------
                Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
                -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
                [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited February 13, 2001).]
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

What version of civ are you guys playing? I play at 2.78 & always have my coastal fortress kick in. Even in the capital.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, makes me feel a tad better to know it happens to not only myself...

I was playing ToT 1.01 at the time, but it's happened to me on 2.42 before.

Comment

If no text box is appearing, I suppose the fortress isn't working. But it's worth noting that a veteran ironclad (4 x 1.5 x 3HP = 18) has a reasonable chance against a rookie alpine troop in a fortress (5 x 2 x 2HP = 20) or EVEN a rookie fortified rifleman in a fortress (4 x 1.5 x 2 x 2HP = 24).

I don't think I've ever had this problem. Nowadays in my SP games no warships tend to come sniffing around my cities. I suppose I am finally getting better at the game....

Comment

Coastal Fortress always worked against ironclads in my games.
                        Rome rules

Comment

{combat system}
                          {coastal fortress}
                          {}{SlowThinker}{end2}
                          ------------------------------
                          This is a post with keywords. See a thread The Great Library: a hierarchical structure" thread.
                          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

The occasional failure of the coastal fortress has been batted around here before. Someone thought they detected a pattern (from memory) related to the position of the city in your list of cities, but, as with most of these sorts of things, nothing definite was decided. It's happened to me once or twice. I put it down to software glitch.

------------------
                            Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
                            Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
                            Horse and Hydey Wrangler
                            Mono Rules!
                            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                            X