Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by Marko Polo on 04-04-2001 03:50 PM
    d. I felt like a murderer sending them to a sure death..
    [This message has been edited by Marko Polo (edited April 04, 2001).]

Requiescant in pace...
    My backyard is full of dead dips and spies; so, believe me, I'm with you!
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Fortified units in walled cities matter to howies and bombers, as they ignore the walls. For the other attackers, the game gives the wall bonus INSTEAD of the fortified bonus to the defenders.

Do ships that attack care about fortified status? I know both units go to one in firepower, and units in cities with coastal fortresses benefit from that. I'm not sure whether a unit's fortification status or, for that matter, whether it is in an engineer-built fortress matters to the attacking ship.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

i usually build both artillery and armor, artillery to take out the tough cities and armor to shoot up any units that are blocking my way to the enemies other cities. there's almost no way i'd only build only one or the other
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Blaupanzer on 04-05-2001 12:02 PM
          Do ships that attack care about fortified status? .

I think they do ( = as ships ignore city walls, I suppose that the units inside the city get the same kind of defence bonus as if they were anywhere else: especially 'terrain' bonus and 'fortified' bonus).
          That is why I advise to have a look before attacking a fortified phalanx inside a city built on good defensive terrain (hill or river). Even vet ironclads happen to lose now and then (but I haven't tested that thoroughly and my friend SlowThinker seems to be away, probably testing a new model of catapult somewhere ).

------------------
          aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

In fact Slow Thinker was sidelined by the upgrade and has only yesterday come back on stream ...

------------------
            Scouse Git[1] -- git1@scousers.net

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
            "The Great Library must be built!"
            "A short cut has to be challenging,
            were it not so it would be 'the way'."
            - Paul Craven
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

There's no question that when you compare the two units -- artillery and armor -- armor is preferable due to its movement of three. But there are situations (for example when I'm conquering technologically backwards civs) when I'd prefer not to have armor in exchange for the effects of Leo's workshop.

By the end-game phase, I'm conquering cities by force or bribery. If I'm taking over cities by bribery, I may find the cities to be defended by inferior units such as musketeers or perhaps even phalanx, which, however, can be upgraded into riflemen due to Leo's workshop. Armor can only be obtained by going through Automobile, which means that you have to give up Leo to get it.

In other words, when I have a big tech lead, I'll conquer the world through bribery or by force using cavalry and artillery and hold off on armor.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Everyman on 04-06-2001 04:06 PM
                There's no question that when you compare the two units -- artillery and armor -- armor is preferable due to its movement of three. But there are situations (for example when I'm conquering technologically backwards civs) when I'd prefer not to have armor in exchange for the effects of Leo's workshop.

By the end-game phase, I'm conquering cities by force or bribery. If I'm taking over cities by bribery, I may find the cities to be defended by inferior units such as musketeers or perhaps even phalanx, which, however, can be upgraded into riflemen due to Leo's workshop. Armor can only be obtained by going through Automobile, which means that you have to give up Leo to get it.

In other words, when I have a big tech lead, I'll conquer the world through bribery or by force using cavalry and artillery and hold off on armor.

Hence why i stated earlier that my biggest conquest time is calvalry vs phalanx
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Everyman on 04-06-2001 04:06 PM
                  There's no question that when you compare the two units -- artillery and armor -- armor is preferable due to its movement of three.

Agreed, against technologically backward civs I'd use armors too. However, the situation changes when you are attacking e.g. walled veteran riflemen. Then prepare to heavy losses if you rely on armors - only 44% of the attacks are successful. With artillery you are much more successful with 79% chance. See my test results earlier in the thread.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 04-06-2001 09:37 AM
                    In fact Slow Thinker was sidelined by the upgrade and has only yesterday come back on stream ...

Very happy to know he's back (still suspecting that he might have tested a new catapult in the meantime ).

Comment

SG(1)
                      I have good news.
                      Slow Thinker was in fact busy sending smileys to a friend in Slovenia

Comment

La Fayette,
                        I bumped "Info: diplomats and spies" thread for you and I see you are taking a rest here...
                        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on 04-09-2001 06:48 PM
                          La Fayette,
                          I bumped "Info: diplomats and spies" thread for you and I see you are taking a rest here...

I'm on vacation tomorrow. Can't afford to get tired today.

Comment

Ok. Bon repos!

{combat system}
                            {walls}{fortify}
                            {}{end2}{SlowThinker}

------------------------------
                            This is a post with keywords. See a thread The Great Library: a hierarchical structure" thread.
                            [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited April 15, 2001).]
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Artillery has more firepower but and in a siege artillery is better for breaking defense, armor does pretty well too, I choose artillery for sieging and armor for all-around.

------------------
                              Check out Arcade Portal and
                              Civworld forums
                              Go post now!
                              Message from an Archangel: Do not try seek perfection for perfection is the most imperfect thing that ever existed.

Comment

Working...
                              X