Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GL - definitive COMBAT MODIFIER summary!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL - definitive COMBAT MODIFIER summary!

I'm busy condensing threads concerned with combat modifiers and some related topics. Believe me, I'm going cross-eyed from all the virtual ink that has been spilled on this topic. While culling the archives, I've found that some things have apparently never been tested and posted here. If anybody has tested, please post your findings. What has not been addressed:

1) Does an AEGIS cruiser still receive its "x2 vs. missile" bonus if it is caught in port?

2) Does the SAM defense bonus apply to city defenders when attacked by a domain 3 unit? Or do the city wall or coastal fortress bonuses apply, for that matter?

3) Does the AI build and use carriers if they have:
    a) an attack value modified to 0
    b) any defense value or cost reduction to make it appealing to the AI
    Finally, if the AI does set them to sail, are any planes on the deck?

4) What exactly is the bonus partisans gain when attacking non-combat units?

5) Are the nuke sound, population reduction, and pollution caused by the special attack value of 99, the tech required for the unit, or by the unit slot?

Testers, boot up! Some of the above have been touched upon in the threads, but no answers found. Please test and post results in this thread. Don't forget to include just what it is you are testing in your description...

Please do not post anything here about land unit defense modifiers unless they apply directly to the above #2 or #4. There have been 101 theories about this, most of which have been proven to be bunk. The final results will show up in the Great Library... thank you!

------------------
    "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
    -Philip of Macedon
    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
    intelligence to few.

On # 1, I recently had mysterious cruise missles clobber one of my cities with an Aegis in for repair. After the other units died, the "ships caught in port" message came up and the Aegis was obliterated. (I say mysterious because there was no possible launch site I could identify.)

This leads to #3. Apparently the AI can load cruise missiles on subs, go to sea and use the missles. I've never seen the AI use a carrier to carry planes. Not saying it can't happen. But I've given the AI carriers, and they either sail around empty, or actually attack other ships/ports with the ship.

On #2, what is a domain 3 unit?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

A domain 3 unit is sort of like a djinn. It was discovered that changing the domain to 3 or more allows a unit to travel over any terrain as if it's an air unit with unlimited fuel. It can attack other units normally, and IIRC, has some odd qualities.

FYI, domain 0 = Ground, 1 = Air, and 2 = Sea, 3 = ???

------------------
      -Philip of Macedon

intelligence to few.

Comment

The "Cruise/Nuclear Missile from nowhere" bug is well documented - namely, the AI doesn't need to have a missile actually in a city/carrier/airbase within range. As long as it has the number of nukes or cruises in existence, it can launch them from any base it needs to in order to hit your units and bases.

AEGIS cruisers do, I believe, have x2 defense in port, although they still suffer the penalty of reduced hit points. In the Alien Invasion scenario included with Fantastic Worlds CD, AEGIS cruisers are one of the best units to have against the airborne alien units.

The AI is very bad at placing planes on the carrier. If you want it to build them at all, I believe the best way would be to increase its attack to something seaworthy. The AI might then build them as sea superiority vessels...
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Just for laughs, I used the cheat menu to give the AI a fully loaded carrier. On it's first turn, it attacked a sea coast city and sunk before launching any of it's aircraft
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In response to 1) Does the 2x missile d still apply to Aegis caught in port.

I believe it does due to this:
            I am almost totally sure that the 2x d applys to air while it is in port and if it does why would it not apply to missiles. I play a mostly perfectionist strat and I usually end up going for AC so I like well defended cities and try to ignore world domination. And for me the optimum city d seems to be 2 vet Mech Inf and one Vet Aegis Cruiser. A vet Aegis Cruiser with a SAM in the city in my experience will win against a Vet Stealth bomber In almost ever encounter sometime it can even survive 2 such attacks. Unfortunately i don't intend to test these results but i am sure someone out there will

------------------
            Shhh... Just Take It!
            Shhh... No-one Has To Know!
            "I know not how I may seem to others, but to myself I am but a small child wandering upon the vast shores of knowledge, every now and then finding a small bright pebble to content myself with"
            Plato

Comment

I seem to remember Xin Yu once saying he preferred aegis for the defence of coastal cities to building a SAM - so by some sort of weird reasoning I conclude (or at least suspect) that the x2 probably does still apply. (As you can see my faith in Xin is unquestioning ).

Comment

For test #1, the AEGIS cruiser does retain its "x2 vs. missile" when caught in port by a missile. FYI, ships caught in port have their full defense values, but firepower is reduced to 1.

------------------
                -Philip of Macedon

intelligence to few.

Comment

For test #5, the following apply:

1. The sound, explosion, killoff, and pollution result from the special attack value of 99.
                  2. No unit with attack = 99 can be built before the Manhattan Project is built, regardless of its normal prerequisite.
                  3. The unit makes both its normal sound and the nuke explosion.
                  4. Because the unit is within the explosion radius, it dies even without the toggle to be "destroyed after attacking."

------------------
                  -Philip of Macedon
                  [This message has been edited by Marquis de Sodaq (edited April 11, 2001).]

intelligence to few.

Comment

For test #2, the domain 3 unit does not trigger the SAM defense or coastal fortresses. It ignores city walls. On the upside for defenders, it can be attacked by any unit, even a sub when it is over water.

------------------
                    -Philip of Macedon

intelligence to few.

Comment

quote:

4) What exactly is the bonus partisans gain when attacking non-combat units?

I tested it a little now.

It seems that
                      a) non-combat unit = attack strength is 0
                      b) firepower of the partisan is increased about 15 - 20 times
                      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

The Great Library entry is complete!

It is the thread info: Combat Modifiers and Calculation (GL) in the CivII-General forum.

Not all has been resolved. Please see the above thread to see where we have left off...

------------------
                        -Philip of Macedon
                        [This message has been edited by Marquis de Sodaq (edited April 13, 2001).]

intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
                        X