No announcement yet.

Do you actually finish games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always try to finish out all my games and I try not to give up if I am losing. Sometimes if they get to tedious I'd save them in a seperate folder and come back at a later time.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV on 04-09-2001 09:49 PM
      I've been playing for spaceship wins the past few games. I never did before (spaceship thing that is).

Yeah... because you were probably too busy picking on the other tribes
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm not a newbie by all means. been playing since 1998.

I'm not claiming to be especially good. I'm probably not. I'm most definately not. But the military win is because, well, for my personality there is nothing more gratifying thatn smashin your howitzers at your neighbours door.

And I have won quite successfully games in Empereror and King by world conquest.

The thing is, what I'm tired of is really the end game, where some 2 civs have 3 cities in unreachable places around the map, and I have to search for them.

To conquer the world (usually by buying bribing and converting) you need lots and lots of efforts, and patience.

That's why I don't get why do spaceships give more points? Jee, big deal, so you built 22 cities and managed to rush buy a space ship. I'm sure the developers did it just because they're stinking pacifists and think that space walking is "more noble" than ruling earth.

Comment

lately I don't finish games I know I'm going to win. it seems pointless to me know

but this once was an important part of my civ games. I just played on a micromap last night. I just built a bunch of archers and knights and took over all but 3 cities (they had walls on a river- I got tired of my knights committing suicide- for some reason my dips couldn't bring down the walls- I don't know how you guys do it). so I just continued building up but that got tiresome. I was in the 1800's when I quit.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Dissident on 04-10-2001 09:32 PM
            for some reason my dips couldn't bring down the walls- I don't know how you guys do it.

The trick is quite simple: you need a bunch of diplos. Use them one after another during the same turn until the wall is torn down. Typically the first diplo spoils the work in production. The next destroys one random improvement. Keep going until you have reached your destination. The max number of dips you need is # of improvement + 1, if the wall comes down last. With some luck you are able to smash the wall before all other improvements are sabotaged.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Sirotnikov on 04-10-2001 07:33 PM
              That's why I don't get why do spaceships give more points? Jee, big deal, so you built 22 cities and managed to rush buy a space ship. I'm sure the developers did it just because they're stinking pacifists and think that space walking is "more noble" than ruling earth.

Well, speaking as a stinking pacifist , I disagree; given the awesome power of a fundy government, world conquest doesn't seem particularly difficult. Occasionally annoying, yes -- especially when you have to build Apollo to find that last 1-square island city -- but harder? Nah (at least not against the AI). Besides, there is a bonus for early conquest, isn't there? Whereas there's no bonus for landing on AC in 600 AD (not that I can do that, but you take my point).

------------------
              Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
              -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly on 04-11-2001 07:24 AM
                ...world conquest doesn't seem particularly difficult. Occasionally annoying, yes -- especially when you have to build Apollo to find that last 1-square island city -- but harder?

To find the last cities of a Civ you are conquering don't build Apollo! Make peace, give 'em an encarta of tech, exchange maps and then drop in to see them ...

-------------

SG(2)

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited April 11, 2001).]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I think it's like watching a sports game on tv. If it tunrs into a blowout it is usually a very boring game (unless someone's beating the pants off the Yankees or something like that ). Same with civ...if it gets too imbalanced, there really isn't a huge point in continuing....unless you're trying to beat some record or something.
                  I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                  Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

Heh, MWHC, I've never seen a complete spaceship before. Mine are all ragged whereas yours looks great!

Now I've seen what a complete one looks like I suspect I'm going to feel a compulsion to complete the job every time from now on.

Comment

I rarely finish a game. I like the exploration and wonder race the best. I try different approaches at the start, but I mostly expand quickly.
                      On occasion, I get a bad start(barbs take your second city), and I get determined to recover instead of giving up. I usualy quit around 1800 when I know where everyone is and I know I can win. World conquest on a large map by 2020 is a reasonable challenge, but perhaps tedious. You have to start early, and it is hard to get everywhere in time. I have held on to the bitter end of a losing situation twice. It is educational and the ending is cute; everyone should try it once.
                      If you want to have a hard time, let your palace city go undefended so you lose it, then try to recover.

Comment

Working...
                      X