Do you actually finish games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you actually finish games?

I'm not talking about sending spaceships, but about conquering all your maties. When you have conquered half the planet and have another 50 cities to conquer from other low life AIs researching construction so they could build city walls against your mighty howitzers and when you know you're gonna have a tough time reaching every corner of the universe where they could have built a size 1 city.... do you play on?

The thing is I usually don't. Even if I'm in a space race. If I am and I'm losing, I don't bother. I quit the game. I don't even retire to record the score into the Hall of Fame. I simply don't care.

So what do you do? Do you play the games in which you're loosing and lagging till the end?

I often started games, but then became preoccupied with other things. I had earlier a good Diety game going with an expectionally good start but I got bored and stoppe. And later lost the feeling of the game so instead of finishing it I deleted it and started a new one.

Do you fnish all your games? Or does the game-police chase you in your dreams for being a bad boy and not finishing your game?

Nah...

Around 500AD I see if i'm going to win or not. If not, I leave.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Only rarely--and generally, only when I haven't seen the end for that game/scenario. Otherwise, i usually just play until further development is pointless.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

gee... this thread is going fast....
        thanks to all that replied (the mad [yet very nice] monk)
        and thanks to eli that seeked to increase his post count
        [This message has been edited by Sirotnikov (edited April 08, 2001).]

Comment

i play all my games against the ai ..... which is none now to the end. You would be surprised what lessons can be learned and what can go wrong. that all said i understand your feeling of boredom or lack of feel for a particular game. I think we have all been there. I used to only conquer the world..... not always the same strat but generally its too damm easy. Then i learned to read and write and that opened another strat to me. There are so many ways to win a civ and for beginners to lose however this game is a joke once you know what your doing.

My best advice to newbies is to play things out to learn what you did or did not do and then learn from it. Try to resist the urge to conquer everyone right away. To truly master civ and to be able to wreak havoc in multiplayer.......you must learn all the tricks of the trade and be able to read your situation from the beginning. Unlike the ai..... there is seldom much room for error against the truly elite civvers So practice , practice against that ai with as many different strats as possible because unlike humans whom tire or quit when losing ...... the ai is one poor chap whom loves punishment
          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

The only reason I play single player(love hotseat) is to go for high score. So I usually finish. I just got 514% on Prince!!

------------------
            Go post stuff at
            Civworld forums
            Go post now!
            Message from an Archangel: Do not try seek perfection for perfection is the most imperfect thing that ever existed.

Comment

Thats one thing I have to give to the AI.It always finishes.You'd never get a human to play out some of the situations the poor AI gets into.

Ever do that?When it gets really one sided,hit cheat menu,set human player to the crappiest civ alive.See what can be done to "catch up"
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 04-08-2001 10:56 PM
                Ever do that?When it gets really one sided,hit cheat menu,set human player to the crappiest civ alive.See what can be done to "catch up"

I've done it and it's fun to fight against my former empire!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Eli on 04-08-2001 03:01 PM
                  Nah...

Around 500AD I see if i'm going to win or not. If not, I leave.

Playing against the AI, you should never be sure you loose before 2000AD.
                  Please take a savegame around 500AD, one you were sure you were going to loose, and play (at least) 1000 more years:
                  1) I bet you win.
                  2) If you don't, I bet you learn a lot (and have fun: IMO there is more fun playing when you are not yet completely sure you win).

------------------
                  aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                  Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 04-09-2001 06:05 AM
                    Playing against the AI, you should never be sure you loose before 2000AD.
                    Please take a savegame around 500AD, one you were sure you were going to loose, and play (at least) 1000 more years:
                    1) I bet you win.
                    2) If you don't, I bet you learn a lot (and have fun: IMO there is more fun playing when you are not yet completely sure you win).

I'm trying games on Deity now. And it's considered good for me(now) to be 5th in power. But most of the time i'm 7th.

I suck. But someday, i'll win.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I usually play until around conscription. I'm more interested in the ancient units. I'll finish if the game is still fun. Apparently, unlike many posters, I usually quit once it's clear I'm going to win, and play it out if it looks like i'll lose. Basically taking the challenge of winning against the odds. Smash has a good idea - playing against your former self can be a good challenge. You do know the geography, but you are now the backward, know-nothing weasels so long oppressed by (formerly) your glorious civ. Usurp! Overthrow! Off with my... er... his head!

------------------
                      "There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
                      -Philip of Macedon
                      [This message has been edited by Marquis de Sodaq (edited April 09, 2001).]
                      The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                      intelligence to few.

Comment

I play until fate is obvious. If I'm going to win militarily or not win at all, I'll quit after about 1880. Trying now for AC wins. Close but no cigar several times lately. These keep me in to the end unless I fall way behind. I play deity with all high settings and do not use the Fundamentalist government form.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I always try to complete my games, even when I have a huge lead. Once the outcome is certain, the next challenge is to see how quickly the game can be ended so I can view the final scores and start the next game. This may mean changing to Fundamentalism and bribing the remaining cities or it may mean using Communism to achiev a balance of technological and military superiority, but the point is to achieve my goal of ending the game quickly.

That said, however, my biggest gripe with Civ II is the tedious end-game. I hope that Civ III will have features to hasten the end. For example, an option to accept/decline an AI civ's unconditional surrender would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I play out all my games, but I'm a wimp!!! I save it often so that if something goes wrong, file->load game-> xx.sav try again, if that doesn't work, open rules.txt, tweek, tweek, tweek, open civ, try again, open rules.txt, untweek, untweek, untweek. That way I always win . Of course I know that is cheating (but the game doesn't say so) but I just can't take a hit in civ.

Anyway that is me. I need to work on that (and get an origonal copy of rules.txt with the actual xp dates on such wonders as GL and Leo's).
                            I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

I've been playing for spaceship wins the past few games. I never did before (spaceship thing that is).

But even that is kinda easy. Build a ton of caravans/freight while the AI builds Apollo. Those along with 15k - 20k gold will get you a 40k spaceship in just a few turns (depending on the # of cities you have).

My best so far on deity is 40k landed in 1963 (11.7 something years to reach). Probably not a record by far.

http://www.i2k.com/~density/ship.jpg

ok ok, it was 1965.
                              [This message has been edited by My Wife Hates CIV (edited April 09, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X