Barbarian Buffer: 1 Square?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarian Buffer: 1 Square?

It has been noted that barbarian uprisings never happen inside a city radius. And they certainly never happen in a square occupied by a [EDIT] non-barbarian [/EDIT] unit. But I have observed a lot of uprisings, as have we all, and I honestly can't say I have ever seen an uprising occur in a square next to a unit or next to a city radius. The unit seems to exert an influence over the squares immediately next to it, like ZOC. I realize that uprisings seem all too close, especially with Partisan units rising up. But have you really ever seen such a situation? For example, if an island has all but one square inside a city radius, do barbarians ever rise up in the last square?

I would like to know what others have found on this point, if my observations are accurate. Rather than being an absolute rule, it could be an example of rapidly diminishing odds; the closer you get to a unit or a radius, the less likely the uprising. But if this is an absolute rule, it would help in holding down areas where you haven't built cities yet. Many fewer units would be required.
    [This message has been edited by Gastrifitis (edited March 25, 2001).]

I have had naval uprisings from 1 or 2 square lakes inside city radius.
    The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I have successfully seized barb uprisings moving any unit (even diplo) to the point barbs tend to pop up. In one game I had two cities quite far away and I had connected them with railroad. The barbs kept coming in the middle of those two cities destroying my railroad every time. I moved a diplo there and got rid of the problem. Has worked every time.

Comment

Gastrifitis - I would agree - no uprisings (of course, Smash, you can and will get naval landings) within city radius + 1 - I cannot recall seeing them next to a unit either - but that is not something I have actually remarked upon ...

------------------
        Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
        "The Great Library must be built!"
        "A short cut has to be challenging,
        were it not so it would be 'the way'."
        - Paul Craven
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I was playing on a world map (not the, cuz OzzyKP made a sweet world map, if you want it ask) and I was the Romans I seized like almost all of Eurasia with the exception of the Indians and a few Chinese cities (they were on Australia as their homeland.)

Anyway, the Aztecs were sending all sorts of ships up into the northern sea above Russia, which I thought was weird but didn't pay it too much mind. This area was also a hot spot for Partisan uprisings later on in the game, I had a plethora of field fortresses in the north just in case I had to fight up there and in every fort I was sure to place a spy just in case, miraculously there was not a single uprising ever again after mandatory spy placements. Do you think this has any bearing on the issue at all?

I've also noticed that uprisings tend to occur in the same areas per game. You will always have the barbs comming out of a specific area which is seemingly the same as a city radius, possibly this has some bearing on this as well?
          "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by The Capo on 03-26-2001 09:02 AM
            ...in every fort I was sure to place a spy just in case, miraculously there was not a single uprising ever again after mandatory spy placements. Do you think this has any bearing on the issue at all?

Did the barbarians capture a city somewhere else? That would keep them away from your forts. Otherwise, maybe they just found an area to spawn in that they liked better. They certainly don't hide from my spies.

quote:

Originally posted by The Capo on 03-26-2001 09:02 AM
            I've also noticed that uprisings tend to occur in the same areas per game. You will always have the barbs comming out of a specific area which is seemingly the same as a city radius, possibly this has some bearing on this as well?

An invisible barbarian city? So that's where the hidden city in CtP is located! Seriously, I haven't noticed an uprising hot spot resembling a city radius, but I'll watch for it. Part of the reason barbarians arise in a certain area is the concept in Demographics about territory controlled. The last person to walk on a square controls that territory. If the last person to walk on a square was a barbarian, it's much more likely they will rise up there.

It would really help if units could control all the squares around them in a one-square radius. An open, 6x6 square area would otherwise take 36 units to hold down. With the new approach, only 4 units would be needed. A significant improvement, if I do say so myself.

Comment

Working...
            X