Trans Siberia Railroad "Wonder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Siberia Railroad "Wonder"

One characteristic of some worlds is that there may be land masses connected to the narrow strip of arctic land on the northern or southern edge of the world map. I create what I call the Trans Siberia Railroad "Wonder" by taking several settlers/engineers to build a railroad along this strip to connect these land masses, giving instant access to shuttle troops back and forth between these masses. It takes a while to build, but if the land masses are large enough to make it worth your while, it really helps to reinforce your holdings, or to conquer one land mass from one you already control.
    [This message has been edited by towigg (edited March 22, 2001).]

...or to set up trade routes with "other" continents without using ships.

Comment

I once won a game with such an artic railroad to the back of the enemy.
      Kinda of funny when I showed up with a lot of dragoons on is back.
      Since then I always keep a diplo (or a couple) on my back, to be used as early warning units.
      Diplo are great because they dont cost a shiled every turn, or cause unhapiness in Rep or Dem, they are cheap to build, and they have double movement

Comment

This is an idea I hadn't thought of before. I normally baulk at the time/cost etc of dealing with several artic tiles, but as you point out, this could be very useful in certain situations.

------------------
        Give me Liberty, or give me death!
        "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
        --P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

I think it's not correct to compare it with the Trans Siberian Railroad, but the idea is nice

Comment

As it happens just 'captured' such an arctic route; mostly road but some railroad already built by an AI civ. Very handy as I can use it with a little improvement to ship my army to the battle front.

Comment

One wierd behavior I have noticed is that when I put my engineers on automatic (later stages of the game, when I don't want to micromanage pollution control), they sometimes try to get across the arctic strip from one continent to another I hold, perhaps because their is nothing to do in the first landmass, but work to do in the second landmass. They even do this without an Arctic Railway. If one has already been built, then this is not much of a problem, since they can go back and forth quite easily.

Comment

Working...
              X