AI unit gifts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI unit gifts.

AI unit gifts. Has anybody ever received one? Is it even possible? I know you have the option of giving the AI units - not that you'd really want to, unless you are allied - and they are usually ungrateful little buggers anyway. But can the AI give you units?

I've been playing Civ2 for many long years, and I've NEVER received a Unit Gift,...I think this is impossible...

Comment

I received a tech 2 days ago (look at my thread "gift of tech..."), so I wouldn't say it never happens. Anyway, it didn't happen to me up to now.
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

...of course, this is apart from the huge number of warriors, horsemen and other strong AI units who offered their lives close to the walls of my cities.
        (poor blokes! their generals should have been sent to court martial or even firing squad long ago)
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Never had a unit gift, and I think I've only given away a couple units as gifts only to test it out.

Comment

Never as a gift either.
            Only time I ever gave one was in MP to an ally for the infinite move sleeze. I believe, MWHC and I were among the first to truely abuse this one. (of course, before we all decided that it was bending the rules too far and declared it a cheat)

RAH
            This doesn't include giving the AI aircraft carriers to prove that the ai has no clue on how to use them. (besides attacking cities with them )
            [This message has been edited by rah (edited March 15, 2001).]
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Fubla, et al.:

I've *never* received a unit gift from the AI. However, I have been known to gift my own units to the AI on occasion. Once in a blue moon it's to raise the AI's attitude towards me, but most of the time it's to an ally who's fighting a war or to a civilization that's being overrun by an enemy empire.

You have to be careful about what to give the AI, though. On more than one occasion my unit gift has sparked a scientific "gift" as well for the AI; IOW, the unit will also allow the AI to "learn" a technology related to the unit. If, for example, you give a cannon to the AI, there's the distinct possibility it will learn metallurgy from examining that cannon, if it doesn't have the tech already. Not all the time, mind you, but enough to merit it's mention in this post.

CYBERAmazon
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon on 03-16-2001 02:55 PM
                Fubla, et al.:

I've *never* received a unit gift from the AI. However, I have been known to gift my own units to the AI on occasion. Once in a blue moon it's to raise the AI's attitude towards me, but most of the time it's to an ally who's fighting a war or to a civilization that's being overrun by an enemy empire.

You have to be careful about what to give the AI, though. On more than one occasion my unit gift has sparked a scientific "gift" as well for the AI; IOW, the unit will also allow the AI to "learn" a technology related to the unit. If, for example, you give a cannon to the AI, there's the distinct possibility it will learn metallurgy from examining that cannon, if it doesn't have the tech already. Not all the time, mind you, but enough to merit it's mention in this post.

CYBERAmazon

As a corollary, has anybody in MP achieved a tech breakthrough because an ally gifts him some advanced units? Just curious.

Comment

I don't think that has ever happened, colossus.. I think the breakthrough is one of those AI advantages a human player will never get. Just like the wonder building advantage.

Comment

Working...
                  X