Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by young newbie forever on 02-25-2001 10:12 AM
    3. it seems to me that barbs get some kind of penalty couse they never killed ANYTHING.

True - barb units get terrible penalties when attacking the AI civs. I've seen undamaged barb dragoons lose to settlers far more often than you would expect this to happen normally. And about the only time I've seen barbs actually take an AI city is when the AI stupidly attacks with warriors from the city and it ends up undefended.
    Barbs also have problems with capitals. Try building 1 city, put a warrior in there and surround the city with barb armours. Watch what happens

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DrFell on 02-25-2001 07:38 PM
      Barbs also have problems with capitals. Try building 1 city, put a warrior in there and surround the city with barb armours. Watch what happens

It's been pretty well established that the barbs can't take your capital when it's your only city. The software was written that way for some reason. It does, though, only apply to the PC version of the game. In the Macintosh version, barbs can and do take your capital when it's your only city.

------------------
      Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
      Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
      Troll & Hydey Wrangler
      Mono Rules!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

War4ever:
        Was the entire 5-square area explored? If barbs arise in dark space, you won't see them until they hit the known part of your map. Hence, a good reason to explore a bit.
        [This message has been edited by Adam Smith (edited February 25, 2001).]
        Old posters never die.
        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

I think whether or not they appear on a turn depends on a roll of the dice, with the probability increased for a recently weakened or defenseless city, and for other situations listed above.

One thing that is fun to do is to build a city on a medium-sized island near an AI who has been bugging you, and leave it defenseless. The barbarians quickly find and capture it and seem to keep themselves busy for the rest of the game in Mr. AI's neighborhood, breeding endless hordes and hordes around that city.

------------------
          It is more pleasant to live in the corner of a housetop,
          than in a wide house with a brawling woman.

Comment

Actually, you don't need to build a city to prevent barbs appearing. Just move any kind of unit (I use diplo's for that) to the area those barbs keeps popping and you don't see them anymore there!

Comment

Adam Smith.... your probably correct on this....... i must be leaving the odd space black.... then presto.... barbs......they always come like two turns after i build or find a city ....especially if it is on the outskirts of my empire......

I will start watching for this with more vigor now
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko_Polo on 02-26-2001 04:12 AM
                Actually, you don't need to build a city to prevent barbs appearing. Just move any kind of unit (I use diplo's for that) to the area those barbs keeps popping and you don't see them anymore there!

I'm not sure of this. I have seen my dip(on exploration mission) killed by barbarians appearing right beside it.

Comment

Ya. Happened to me a heap of times. Build a city in the barb "hot point" and the "hot point" moves somewhere else. They just leap out of the ground.

------------------
                  Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
                  Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
                  Troll & Hydey Wrangler
                  Mono Rules!
                  " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                  "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 02-25-2001 09:42 AM

The Sigless Git

[This message has been edited by Scouse Gits (edited February 25, 2001).]

Perhaps a barb appearing from the sea stole your crown?
                    Perhaps Ming recently re-discovered the guillotine?
                    You should ask SlowThinker. I think he suffered from the same disease a few days ago (let us hope not foot-and-mouth).

------------------
                    aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 02-27-2001 08:06 AM
                      I think he suffered from the same disease a few days ago (let us hope not foot-and-mouth).

Not the same. The passwoerd of my of my original login is an empty string. Unfortunately, the system don't accept empty strings... .

------------------
                      All knowledge stored at Apolyton must be sorted!

Comment

There was a time when I had inadvertently left a semi-colon out of the rules.txt somewhere (end of techs I think but not sure). For some reason whenever I started a game I always had 3-4 barb gen points nearby my starting area. And boy would they generate. It was always a fight for survival for the 1st several 1000 years until I could scoot a settler into the generation areas. Then everything quieted down to normal.

It was fun, after the 1st game (which was frustrating!).
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I think barbs frequency also depends on what the ai is doing in other areas. For example if ai civs are churning out units and fighting wars, barb activity seems to drop away, at least in multiplayer. If there is a barb hotspot under these circumstances, it is usually in a remote area of the map.

------------------
                          Chaos, panic and disorder - My work here is done.

Comment

If you think "Raging Hordes" are bad, check out what happens when the setting is "Barbarian Wrath" (available via hex editing only):

http://members.nbci.com/kull1/scenar...reenshot1.html
                            To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Most of the Barb units just appear like the other units of that type in the units.gif file in your Civ directory, though with a red alpha channel. The leader is in there too. Its quite straight forward to edit their appearance though, you'll find more in the scenario creation forum.
                              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X