Gnp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gnp

This pales in comparison to Oedo's recent discovery about revolution dates, but it is something that I don't think anyone else has noted yet. The F11 key gives data on "GNP." I've long been curious as to exactly what it represents, and now I believe I've figured out how it's calculated, and it's pretty simple. "GNP" = (gold + (2 x luxuries)) per turn, times $1M. (The purple civilization always has an outrageously inflated GNP which I'm told is just a bug.) I haven't tested this out thoroughly, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

debeest - close, but not quite. I loaded up three old games, with the following results (no luxuries nor elvii in any of the games):

Game 1: 39 gold income, 3 gold expenses. GNP = $43 million.

Game 2: 20 gold income, 13 gold expenses. GNP = $34 million.

Game 3: 7 gold income, 0 expenses. GNP = $11 million.

Comment

GNP is probably based on total trade. Try changing science percentages etc.

- Rib -

------------------
      If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
      A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
      Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

DaveV, I read your message with disappointment, loaded up another old game, and found a discrepancy much like what you cite. Rats! Then I loaded up about 15-20 more old games, and in every case, the GNP was exactly $1M x ((luxuries x 2) + tax). So I went back and checked the game that had looked wrong, and lo and behold, there were two Elvii that exactly accounted for the discrepancy. So I would bet that in the three games you checked, there are actually 2, 7, and 2 luxuries somewhere, respectively. The formula held up in small, medium, and large games, and at early and middle stages of the game (I didn't check any really late games, because I've mostly played ICS and I didn't feel like totting up the luxuries for 50-100 cities).

Comment

I haven't been playing much lately, but now I've started a new game, and I happened to check in on the GNP. $51 million. Checked my economic adviser. 45 gp per turn. Hmmm. Didn't think I had any luxuries, but lo and behold. One Elvis with a market place, producing three luxuries. My formula appears to be correct.

Comment

The incredibly high GNP of pruple civs is indeed a bug, which is fixed in MGE though... it's not in FW, however

and I think it is in TOT (fixed, that is)

Comment

its not fixed in MGE.... but then i usually play as the mongols so i dont notice it as much.. in calculating gnp make sure to include corruption
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I thought it is fixed in MGE... OK, my mistake... I'm sure it#s fixed in TOT though.

Comment

War4ever -- nope, it's truly a simple formula, and corruption isn't part of it.

[income + (2 x luxuries)] per turn

Income is from the bottom of the economic adviser screen (F5). I don't think luxuries are totaled anywhere; you'd have to scroll through all the city screens one by one and add them up, but now you don't have to .

Comment

Nice observation, deebest. Amazing the secrets this game holds after so many cumulated hours of playing. Well, one more secret down...

Comment

Good job, I have always been wondering how GNP and other statistics are derived in CivII.
                      Rome rules

Comment

Now if you could only find the formulas for the other stats...

------------------
                        If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

She turned me into a newt...well I got better- Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

How many boards could the Mongols horde, if the Mongol hordes got bored?- jcarkey

Comment

so corruption isnt included? Ok does this hold true then if you have corruption that is no longer? ie.... couthouse therefore three old corruption squares now become good trade......

Sorry, i can't think straight.... that looks dreadfull

Basically i am asking if corruption is considered a trade arrow in some round about way

ok i need to go now .......
                          Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Congratulations, debeest.
                            All new findings about this tricky game are welcome.
                            Go on testing! I'm sure that the SGs and ST will back you too!
                            (What about a Tester's Club? Xin YU for president? No ballots allowed from Florida?)

------------------
                            aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

War4ever -- yes, if your courthouse frees up corruption arrows to become trade, then the increased trade will generally mean more tax income, in which case your GNP will increase a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X