Give me back my veteran spies!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me back my veteran spies!!!

In my latest game I built a few veteran spies in one of my cities that had barracks.
    A few turns later none of them were veteran any more, and when I built new ones in the same city(which still had barracks) they werent veteran either?!
    I even tried building veteran spies in other cities with barracks and that didnt work either...

Whats happening???
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

There are two ways to get vet spies. One way is a succesfull action the spy does. If he gets away, he CAN get vet status (the spy FAQ in the GL lists all cases when a spy gains vet status after being succesful). The other is to be commie when building the unit. The spy is automatically a vet then. Barracs don`t affect the vet/non-vet status of a spy / dip.

Under which circumstances did your spies acquire vet status? If you play under commie, is it "soft" commie, established under effect of SoL or is it regular commie from the tech advance? Maybe this difference affects the status of the vets, if you build some and then change governments.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chainsaw on 01-25-2001 04:39 PM
      Barracs don`t affect the vet/non-vet status of a spy / dip.

That answers my question, thanks...

I guess I just assumed that barracks produced vet spies. I think they mustnt have been vets from the start.

Comment

Yet another reason I think Communism is the best gov't in Civ2. Veteran Spies are automatic. I have 100+ vet spies in my current game. I love it!
        "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

So you're stealing the AI blind

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Allemand on 01-25-2001 06:52 PM
            So you're stealing the AI blind

You bet Stealing, sabotaging, bribing, and...my favorite, poisoning the water supply.

------------------
            Nam si violandum est ius, regnandi gratia violandum est: aliis rebus pietatem colas
            "Veni, vidi, vici."

Translation: "I came, I saw, I conquered." Written by Caesar, in a report to Rome in 47 B.C. after conquering Farnakes at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Caesar the Glutton on 01-26-2001 10:42 AM
              You bet Stealing, sabotaging, bribing, and...my favorite, poisoning the water supply.

Well there goes your reputation.... Remind me never to play against you.... You rob me like that, I'd have to "kik yer ace."

------------------
              "My dear girl don't flatter yourself. What I did this evening was for king and country. You don't think it gave me any pleasure do you?

--- James Bond
              <><><><><><><><>
              Feel free to contact me via email:
              niteowlsc@netscape.net
              Read my SMAC fiction @ http://apolyton.net/forums/register.php?a=act&u=8338&i=978930000

Give your comments @ http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8530

Comment

Caesar the glutton-
                How do you win in communism? I always use Dem and go for AC, can you do that in commie?

Comment

you can get to AC in commie, its just a little bit harder
                  Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible

Comment

Commie is easy to win under.. .I usually play my ICS games through commie (once I get SoL). It's also good to use when you want a fairly large war, but you need to keep the science coming. You can get up to three units unsupported (which I use for happiness, martial law is double the content citizens!) - and of course, the vet spies. If you run luxuries at the same level that you would in democracy, you might be able to get some WLT_D, which gives you the same trade as a democracy, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Having a communist govt under either SoL or with the tech makes no difference- spies will be veteran. Under SoL communism even diplomats will be veteran, although the vet status of a dip has no game bearing. Of course I'd have to wonder how you got Espionage without getting Communism 1st.

With superhighways communism is an excellent end-game government: build your cities to max pop under "WLTPD" in democracy and then switch "WLTCD" will grant democratic levels of trade (with communist levels of corruption), which allows you to get the +1 trade/square from the highways. Use freight to trade with yourself (you've probably got the best cities anyways) and then it's off to war with big bucks, fast tech, happy people, 3(10) free units, and *drool* veteran spies!
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Caligastia on 01-26-2001 05:00 PM
                        Caesar the glutton-
                        How do you win in communism? I always use Dem and go for AC, can you do that in commie?

Yes, it's possible. In my current game (King) I'm Commie, it's 1950 and I'm making about 400 gold/turn. discoveries in six turns. I have about 50 cities. I always build lots of libraries/universities under commie. Adam Smith's helps too. Commie allows a huge military (97 Alpine, 85 spies, 90 armor, 55 mech inf) with very little discontent. No pesky Senate, and no corruption. Veteran spies are the best. In my war w/ the English, I've used veteran spies to destroy city walls in 15 of his cities.....needless to say, they're mine now.

------------------
                        Nam si violandum est ius, regnandi gratia violandum est: aliis rebus pietatem colas
                        "Veni, vidi, vici."

Comment

With 50 cities, your discoveries should be coming faster than that. Do you have trade routes? Superhighways with WLTCD's? An SSC? You should be getting tech in 2-3 turns.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The greatness of commie starts long before you switch to commie as your government.
                            Look at the tech path:
                            Steam engine (=gives you the possibility to build super ironclads and conquer all AI cities close to the ocean and become the ruler of all seas = peaceful trade and victory).
                            Then Railroad (=possibility of travelling like lightning between all your cities; take care of HG though!).
                            Then Industrialization (=modern transportation at once and factories later on, IMO preferably after having built HD).
                            The trick is to research Physics ASAP (trade or steal the other techs needed meanwhile).
                            Try it once (and let me know).

------------------
                            aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Working...
                            X