Diety, the Bomb, and AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diety, the Bomb, and AC

I just "won" my first SP game at Diety, and it was quite the experience. I went for the AC landing, built about 12 cities and conquered maybe 12 more. But I'm putting "won" in quotation marks because of how the game ended: with two turns until I landed, the Sioux and the Germans, both unprovoked, unloaded what seemed to be their whole arsenal of nukes in my general direction. I had protected my capital and my science city with SDI, but that was it. Still, there was no attempt at conquest; I think I lost maybe one city to the Sioux, and the Germans hadn't even bother to get into position to take advantage. This was just nuking for nuking's sake. Unfortunately, this had the effect of having the deduction for pollution outweigh the points for all my wonders AND my landing bonus. Oy!

So here's a couple of questions: does this usually happen? And if so, when you play at Diety and head for AC, do you build SDI everywhere before launching, or rush-build it after launch? Just curious.

------------------
    Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
    -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
    [This message has been edited by Rufus T. Firefly (edited January 22, 2001).]
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

normally there are no more other civs at this point of time but in case there were i never engaged this problem - guess they didn´t have the techs

- NOT building the MP will help!
    weird god, EUROPA

Comment

Yes, well, obviously not building the MP will help, and of course I didn't build it. In fact, I acquired about 1/3 of my cities while trying to stop the AI Persians from building it. And in the end, it wasn't them but another civ, which had been working on the Apollo program and switched when it got built.

Obviously, too, this is only a problem for AI-bound perfectionists. So what do you all do?

------------------
      Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
      -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

If I'm going for AC, and the Gawdforsaken MP gets built, I rush-build SDI in all of my cities as rapidly as possible. I HATE getting nuked. Not just the pollution but the loss of population in all those cities really hurts the final score. In direct response to your question, yes I have had the AI launch an all-out uncoordinated assault on my cities in the last few turns before the landing.
        [This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited January 30, 2001).]
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
        X