Barbarian embassy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbarian embassy

Last night I happened to have a spy mosey up to a former Viking town that was bathed in bright red. Okay, I thought, I'll buy a city on the cheap. But when the menu popped up for inciting a revolt, lo and behold, "Establish Embassy" was also listed as an option! When I chose that option, voila!! A real embassy info screen. Granted, they didn't have squat for technology but I was able to list their cities (they had three) and that was pretty cool.

------------------
    Frodo lives!
    Frodo lives!

Cool!

------------------
    Go Redskins!

Email me at
    SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

I seem to remember doing that some time ago. Does the embassy disappear on the next turn?

---------

SG (2)
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

No on the disappearance in my experience. Lasts as long as THAT city is barbarian. Can't trade techs or anything else very interesting. Info screen did not update adding cities if that happens. Did update losses, removing those cities. Established embassy for a lark, wrote down what I saw. Kept them barb to see where it would go. Checked the city with a spy regularly. The city never built anything but dragoons, maxed production in citizen distribution until it shrank; redistributed to max food, but all new citizens went to to best production squares. They actually got a science due to gold on a mountain letting them have a beaker. Finally bought the city to get that gold.
        [This message has been edited by Blaupanzer (edited December 28, 2000).]
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

My experience has been the embassy does disappear next turn.

A barb city will keep producing whatever unit actually captured it.Could be horse,archer,legion..what have you.
          The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

You know, I don't remember and I've since taken the other two cities. Sorry.

------------------
            Frodo lives!
            Frodo lives!

Comment

wow never even thought about establishing embassy.

Comment

I agree with what Blaupanzer wrote (did about the same, except that I didn't write anything, I'm so lazy).
                Advice: don't do that with a dip; you lose him for nothing. With a vet spy, it's fun (might even be useful listing other barb cities like kcbob did).
                What I have been doing once in a while with great pleasure is building a city close to theirs, after having discovered Industrialization. When they come and take the city, I get a bunch of mighty NON partisans long before researching Guerilla Warfare (imagin: 3 moves, no ZOC, attack 4, defense 4, and the AI quite often has not yet started researching Gunpowder!).
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

La Fayette - I think you will find the Partisans come with Communism, not Industrialisation.
                  ---------
                  SG (2)
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

What the Viking civilization destroyed when the barbs took that city? Was it the Viking capital before the barbs took it?

Comment

As it turns out, I had not taken the other two barb cities. Unfortunately, their embassy/tribe/civ was not listed when I did go back and look. Oh, well.

------------------
                      Frodo lives!
                      Frodo lives!

Comment

Never thought of establishing an embassy with them. They are always so reasonably priced I kwickly bribed them.
                        The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

I established an embassy with a barb city unsing a diplo. Got a one time embassy screen, then it was gone, did not show up on the F3 forien relations screen. I was playing MGE

------------------
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Pontificator Pendanticus
                          older richer & wiser than you
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola on 01-04-2001 05:08 PM
                            I established an embassy with a barb city unsing a diplo. Got a one time embassy screen, then it was gone, did not show up on the F3 forien relations screen. I was playing MGE

Cool! I've always wanted to do that. When the embassy screen came up, were you able to talk to a barbarian emissary? I've toyed with the idea of giving barbarians tech advances and maybe a nuke or two, just to see what would happen.

A corollary: Is it possible to adjust anything in the rules or events or something to "civilize" the barbarians a little? Say, give them Mongol or Carthaginian parameters, where they can theoretically establish a civilization of their own? Just a thought.

Comment

Ir was not the send representative screen it was the itteligence screen you get when you first establish an embassy, give info on their civ, such as the barbarian leaders name is Attila
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X