Goody huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goody huts

This thread topic is goody huts. Let's see how much we know.

italics is things that I dont know.

1. Mercenaries
    Sometimes are NON supported and sometimes aren't.

The whether the ai has a city nearer than you theory isn't totally reliable IMO. ther theories?
    I think that William Keenans barb paper tells about which mercenaries you get with different techs, but I don't remember the URL for it. Could someone find this?

2. Knowledge
    You won't get knowledge after the discovery of invention, though some people have reported otherwise. Could somebody clarify?

3. Advanced Tribe
    Sometimes in the later game, advanced tribes of more than 1 citizen have appeared, sometimes with improvements.
    Is it tech discoveries that make superadvanced tribes, or number of turns elapsed?

4. Barbarians
    1-8 barbarians appear
    What does WK's Barb Paper say on this?

5. Nomads
    Sometimes are NON supported.
    theories?

6. Weeds grow in empty ruins
    You get jack diddly squat.

Does someone know the probability of getting each type on different terrains?

[This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited December 28, 2000).]

BTW, where is that darned 'hut knowledge' thread? I want to find it but it disappeared.

------------------
    Go Redskins!

Email me at
    SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

1. Mercenaries are supported by the nearest city. If the nearest city belongs to another civ, the unit is unsupported (NONE). William Keenan's barbarian paper is at http://sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_barbtechs.shtml

5. In my experience, nomads are always unsupported.

6. In several years of playing Deity/raging, I've never seen an empty hut. There was considerable debate about what settings allow empty huts.

Edit: advanced tribes can only occur on grassland or plains squares.
      [This message has been edited by DaveV (edited December 28, 2000).]

Comment

3. Appears to be passage of time. Haven't seen any research on this. In recent game got a city with 2 improvements after having gotten one with 3 improvements. Really threw me off, as I had thought the process to be linear. (Lot of destruction of city improvements in major war in between. Maybe that has something to do with it.)

4. Also passage of time as to numbers apparently. Haven't done any extensive evaluation on this.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Silver Dragon,
          Look at http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum1/HTML/001650.html?0#0 problem 4 - it applies to advances from goody huts. Probable outcome is that you can't get advance from a hut without prerequisite.

I would be interested about frequency of individual goody results. Has any type of result (mercenary, scroll of ancient wisdom, barbarians...) the same probability of appearance? I am interested especially about advances delaying monarchy. If scroll of wisdom is found, is it really random, or is there any system that prefers ones advances over others?
          [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited January 02, 2001).]
          Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

I did a little informal test awhile back and what I "saw" was you are approx. 2/3 more likely to get a nomad if you don't have any NON settlers allready on the SAME land mass.I often delay a hut tip until my NON settler has founded a new city for this reason.Doesn't always work out but I am convinced that some "control" over hut contents is possible.
            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Probably already knew this but in my experiences:

Advanced Tribes and Mercenaries are in goody huts when very close to another civ.

Knowledge and Gold when fairly distant away from other civs.

Nomads frequent on a smaller island.

Comment

1. Dave answered.
                2. I would stick to "no knowledge after invention" (seems that those who mentioned otherwise had been using the cheat menu or peaking at "rules.txt").
                3. No idea.Should I care? (IMO the question with advanced tribes is not finding them, but keeping them).
                4. WK mentions up to 39 barbs (and a setting named "wrath" able to give over 100!). Read it, it's fun.
                5. and 6. My experience is similar to Dave's.
                More precisely, I would say that, playing deity, you get NO empty huts if you choose raging hordes, and MANY empty huts if you choose villages only (RB and RT somewhere in between).

------------------
                aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

ST
                  I ran a test with goody huts a few weeks ago (100 huts tipped by the Aztecs, results in my thread "3 arrows" strategy).
                  Of course much more testing is needed, but I also enjoy playing the game now and then. Would you like to tip 100 huts? (it takes about 3 hours, but you are allowed to think about the SGs testing 5000 starts, it helps!).
                  Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

6. I have gotten PLENTY of these. Dave, have you always played Deity/Raging? That could very well be it since I have never played on these settings. Could the probabitlity of getting an emtpy hut be considerably lessened at thehigher levels in an attempt to even out play? Or maybe it's something to make the lower levels that much harder.

Comment

quote:

<font size=1>Originally posted by La Fayette on 12-29-2000 10:39 AM</font>
                      ST
                      I ran a test with goody huts a few weeks ago (100 huts tipped by the Aztecs, results in my thread "3 arrows" strategy).
                      Of course much more testing is needed, but I also enjoy playing the game now and then. Would you like to tip 100 huts? (it takes about 3 hours, but you are allowed to think about the SGs testing 5000 starts, it helps!).

La Fayette,
                      If we will take into consideration suas333's post
                      Advanced Tribes and Mercenaries are in goody huts when very close to another civ.
                      Knowledge and Gold when fairly distant away from other civs.

then there would be necessary very large testing. I know it is stimulating to share tests related to the same question with more people, but I am bored for testing Dips/spies now. Later.
                      [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited December 29, 2000).]
                      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

It might interest some who are still skeptical that I always play with Raging Hordes, though never on deity (always prince-king-emperor). I've never gotten an empty hut that gives: "jack diddly squat."
                        Imagine my jealousy when my friend plays for 5 minutes on my computer on Chieftan with villages only and gets 5 of those huts in a row!
                        I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SlowThinker on 12-28-2000 04:35 PM
                          My english is weak. What do you mean by
                          6. Weeds grow in empty ruins
                          You get jack diddly squat.
                          ?

ST, this is actually a redundant phrase that means "nothing". You can get "Jack squat", i.e., nothing, and you can "diddly", i.e., nothing.

If you get "jack diddly squat", you really got nothing!

------------------
                          Frodo lives!
                          Frodo lives!

Comment

I have never had an empty hut in raging hordes. Before I came to Apolyton I would play on Villages only and I would get lots of empty huts.

------------------
                            Save the whales, collect the whole set!!

If Al Gore invented the Internet, then I invented the spell check- Dan Quayle

If someone doesn't agree with you, you haven't explained yourself well enough-Luther Ely Smith

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ruoxiaohai on 12-30-2000 09:26 AM
                              It might interest some who are still skeptical that I always play with Raging Hordes, though never on deity (always prince-king-emperor). I've never gotten an empty hut that gives: "jack diddly squat."
                              Imagine my jealousy when my friend plays for 5 minutes on my computer on Chieftan with villages only and gets 5 of those huts in a row!

I believe you only get empty huts at Barbarian settings lower than Raging Hordes. At Raging Hordes you get Barbarians instead. (I hadn't noticed until I went back to normal Barbarian levels, the 150 leader bonus was starting to unbalance some of my games.)

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                              X