Caravans are too powerfull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercantile,

The reasoning behind the 50 sheild caravan if you use it to Build a Wonder, not disband it, is that Caravans were quite large affairs. Drivers, loaders, guards, merchants, etc., and when you use them to build a wonder all those people become labors working on the wonder. If you move the caravan into the city with the wonder and disband it then you only get a portion of that cost back, just like any other unit. The camels and drivers, etc., are still hanging around using up resources waiting for the next caravan to be formed. When you build a wonder all those items are put to immediate use and you have a lot of camel steaks to feed them with.

Ken

Comment

I am back with another flavour for my arguement. I think the price of 50 shields is way too low for caravans. In single player, one often has hordes of caravans in the making and/or sitting around collecting dust. Therefore IMO that caravans should be double the price, so 100 shields. That would make them more realistic, what do the lemmings here think of this point?

*dons protective gear ahead of time*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 12-19-2000 08:44 PM
        I am back with another flavour for my arguement. I think the price of 50 shields is way too low for caravans. In single player, one often has hordes of caravans in the making and/or sitting around collecting dust. Therefore IMO that caravans should be double the price, so 100 shields. That would make them more realistic, what do the lemmings here think of this point?

Okay, I'm a newbie with a lousey trading strategy, but here's what I think: The real problem, which has eluded everyone but me because I'm so la-di-da brilliant , is that the caravan only changes once, into freight. Think about it: historical progress in the game gives you all manner of infantry units; it turns horseys into knights into dragoons into cav; but the caravan just keeps going and going and going. Why not have a little more variety in the trade? There could be several trade units, each replacing the other, costing more than the one before, and having slightly different qualities. After all, 50 shields is actually quite a lot at the beginning of the game...more than any other units, more even than basic city improvements like barracks and temples. But there's no reason it couldn't change into a different unit that costs more upon the discovery of, say, navigation or banking, and again on the discovery of economics, then finally again on the discovery of the corporation.

There...problem solved.

------------------
        Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
        -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Merc, I think you ought to start a game with the double production cost of caravans, just to see how it plays out. We talked about this a bit ago and I think you should try it.

Or perhaps a game without them? That would most certainly be a new ball game wouldn't it?

------------------
          Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
          You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
          Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
          Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
          I see the world through bloodshot eyes
          Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

drake , i have played games without caravans and admittedly it makes wonder building alot more difficult, but all you do then is conquer even more wonders when you take the ais cities. However, maybe i should organize a game without caravans just to see how it pans out, good idea drake

Rufus, i think that is a great idea, but engineers like caravans, seem to only upgrade once, and i wonder what type of icon you could make muchless what you would call it

Comment

As for trade routes, i don't think that caravans are too powerful. In some games i never get the energy to make a trade route with another civ, let alone another civ on a different continent. But your statement on science bonus interests me. I can't believe i never knew about his. Are you saying that it adds the number of science beakers of the initial gold bonus?

As for helping to build wonders. I love it, because it hepls my style of play. I think caravans are a crutch to the expansionist civ, against the perfectionist civ. Expansionist civs will have more settlers coming out of the best cities, less population in all cities, but of course more cities. Often cities will venture farther from capital. More cities mean main cities will have less production. In order to build wonders caravans are crucial. With so many less populated cities, mass building of caravans, in say 10 or so cities is possible, to feed into a less productive capital, and allowing the expansionist civ to beat a good prooductive city of a perfectionist civ to a major wonder. The perfect timing for these caravans, is when an expansionist civ is racing for Mike's Chapel in a 1x1x diety game.

Comment

Yes, there is a science bonus each time you deliver a caravan.

With a massive overseas trading strategy you can manage a tech a turn - even in Fundy!

-------------

SG (2)
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Mercantile on 12-20-2000 01:12 PM
                  Rufus, i think that is a great idea, but engineers like caravans, seem to only upgrade once, and i wonder what type of icon you could make muchless what you would call it

Yeah, I felt suitably embarrassed about not being able to think of units/icons, too.

But now I have a new brilliant idea: "science-friendly" caravans and "caravan-ready" cities. Check it out:

"science-friendly" caravans: only caravans produced in cities that had libraries would be able to generate a science bonus; for freight, there would need to be a university. The game analogy would be to barracks/port facilities/airports producing vet units. The logic would be that, while caravans did in reality produce a kind of "science bonus" by bringing back knowledge from other lands, the folks back home had to want to and to be able to use knowledge.

"caravan-ready" cities: only cities with banks in them would be able to use caravans to build wonders; freight would require stock exchanges. The game analogy would be to those many city improvements (marketplaces, banks, factories, etc.) that increase some aspect of city production/trade by a fixed percentage; so now, a bank would increase the number of shields gained when a caravan was disbanded by 100% when a wonder was being built. The logic would be...well...there's not a lot of logic to caravans helping build wonders to begin with, but I suppose you could say that a big project stimulates the local economy, so trade coming in is more useful under those conditions provided there's an appropriate financial infrastucture to take advantage of it.

Whaddaya think?

------------------
                  Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
                  -- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Here's a simpler way to get the same effert:
                    Decrease the basic caravan bonus to unimporved cities, but have markets etc. increase the money bonus by 50 percent each, and libraries, etc increase the science bonus by 50 percent each.

PS: I dont think caravans are too powerful if you consider the effect of long-distance trade route in history. Eg., Spanish galleons, China silk trade, etc. The Spanish kept their luxury-heavy economy afloat for hundreds of years solely on the basis of trade routes to the New World.

------------------
                    Old posters never die.
                    They justfadeaway
                    Old posters never die.
                    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Hello Civ2 fans,

Well Merc, I disagree. Caravans are not to powerful. Compare 2 caravans to 3 musketeers when you're the only one with musketeers. My musketeers will take a city, give me a tech advance, take away same city from ememy-decreasing his stuff and increasing mine, I fight on his ground. I expand through conquest and keep conquered trade routes. I realize that this is a difference in gaming styles, but maybe my point is clear- A pacifist style play(er) will ALWAYS lose to a conquerer.

Maelhavok

P.S. I have only been to AC once a long, long time ago.
                      P.P.S. It doesn't matter if you lead in tech/wonders/gold if you can't defend yourself.

Comment

quote:

The perfect timing for these caravans, is when an expansionist civ is racing for Mike's Chapel in a 1x1x diety game.

hmmm.....this sounds very familiar suas.....

------------------
                        Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
                        You fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way
                        Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
                        Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
                        I see the world through bloodshot eyes
                        Streets filled with blood from distant lies.

Comment

is it that caravans are too powerful or that wonders are too powerful?

Most of the "you got enough caravans, build some more" posts are in the context of stockpiling caravans for fast wonder building. This is a worthwhile strategy only because the wonders are so valuable.

Ever play the Sci fi game in Civ:TOT? The wonders expire faster and are therefore less valuable. Its less worthwhile to build lots of caravans (or whatever the equivalent units are)
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

As a matter of interest, how big a bonus can you get from a trade route?
                            I just got 992 gold for a single freight! Anyone know just how large the bonus can be?

Comment

Formula is here, more or less:
                              http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum3/HT...tml?date=12:18

This is from a subthread of the GL, the top thread (always, due to Ming's benevolence) of this Civ2-Strategy forum.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Too powerfull? this is how the game was meant to be. Nothing better to a warmonger than a caravan a turn turning tech time into one turn.......... caravans are powerfull but take many resources to build and in order to receive large bonuses which allow you to rushbuild more caravans....... its a cycle boys..... you need to travel the ends of the earth delivering them. This is hazardous to your health. Losing your first caravan from your science city is like losing that first settler in the opening millenium..... just darn annoying.

*hucks bubble tea @Mercantile*
                                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X