No announcement yet.

Stopping Howies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MGE manual was written after civ2 was out for a while. Those lazy designers just didn't want to fix it...

Comment

I think the fact that the AI will use the bomber stack is evidence that it was intended.

Then again,maybe it was an accident.
      The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Abetter design solution would permit a more complex air war. Nonetheless, bomber interdiction is standard modern warfare doctrine, represented very well by the bomber block (with or without the stack of ground units).
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by GP on 12-03-2000 10:48 PM
          The MGE manual was written after civ2 was out for a while. Those lazy designers just didn't want to fix it...

Sorry, the use of bombers to prevent land units from entering was first documented in the Civ I manual, long before Civ II.

Dave

Comment

quote:

In fact, Bombers prevent enemy units from even entering, much less attacking, the square they occupy.

I suspect it was a simple matter of programming cost. The only way around this would be to allow enemy ground units to occupy the same space as a friendly bomber. Think of the implications for other routines throughout the entire game engine that would now have to deal with the situation of an enemy unit and a friendly unit occupying the same space.

My hunch is that the design team decided all of the extra programming required just wasn't worth it for somewhat more realistic bombers, so they didn't bother. Unfortunately, game designers seldom have infinite programming resources available.

- mindseye

------------------
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2 - Latest version: 2.5
            Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

The bomber trick does get kinda cheap when you have a bomber and a howie under it next to a city.

Comment

Working...
              X