Blitzkrieg - armoured columns and mobile and positional warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blitzkrieg - armoured columns and mobile and positional warfare

Any ideas on Blitzkrieg and mobile warfare?

Commander Blitz

Howies! One of the designers is a real fan of the Russian strategies regarding artillery. Use Mech inf to secure critical ground, pre-worked engineers to complete rails/forts, armor to clear opposing units in the open, and howies to crack cities. I prefer to bribe cites when possible, but this strategy does work. It's a must against late-game capitols and democracies.

Another thread addresses using alpine troops and spies/diplos in swarms. I tried that and it works too. It's cheaper than the above. You might call it the Chinese strategy.

The U.S. strategy of relying on airpower and navies does not work as well in Civ, unless you get bombers before the AI gets flight.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The problem with howies is that they render superfluous all the other combined arms stuff. Just move several dozen howies along the railroads, and wipe out your opponent in a single turn. Yawn.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DaveV on 11-09-2000 09:52 AM
        The problem with howies is that they render superfluous all the other combined arms stuff. Just move several dozen howies along the railroads, and wipe out your opponent in a single turn. Yawn.

The best defense is to attack.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

But if you're going to use howitzers (and I love 'em), do we all use the same strategies? i.e.,

1. Use a spy to first examine the opponent's city. (Sun Tzu probably said something about this.)

2. Never (whenever avoidable) fire a howitzer more than once while attacking a city. Leave yourself the movement factor to move into the city after it's been taken.

3. Use all the adjoinging squares when attacking, thus cutting down on available squares for the dreaded AI partisans.

As for Mobile Warfare, I rush to that when it becomes available. After discovering it, I instantly set to building barracks before I produce the tanks. And once I have those, there is not a lot more formidable than a vet tank on a mountain in a fortress.
          ------------------
          Frodo lives!
          [This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 09, 2000).]
          Frodo lives!

Comment

vet tank on a mountain? just nuke it
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by ColdWizard on 11-09-2000 01:59 PM
              vet tank on a mountain? just nuke it

Yes, but...

I try to avoid nuclear wars at all cost. However, if you did use this strategy, it would seem to be a bit expensive. Then again, it would be effective. I'll give you that!

------------------
              Frodo lives!
              Frodo lives!

Comment

expensive, but maybe worth it if the mountain was a major defensive stronghold that needed clearing to make way for an army advance.

as for avoiding nuclear war, ai isn't smart enough to park a tank on a mountain. if its an mp game... well whatever it takes to win
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-09-2000 01:22 PM
                  2. Never (whenever avoidable) fire a howitzer more than once while attacking a city. Leave yourself the movement factor to move into the city after it's been taken.

This is the key to REALLY using howies effectively. If you must or want to attack twice with them, have two trailing engineers and a couple of defensive units to build and fortify a fort outside the newly captured city that same attacking turn. This way you can stack the howies and get the most bang for your buck on one turn. Of course this stacking/fort technique does not control partisans after the city is taken. However, throw some alpine troops in your new city and they'll be ok when city fortified against the partisans.
                  "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Like most strategies, the bomber before ai gets flight, is a window of opportunity i find these strategies make the game more appealing. Although they allow you to punish opponents, the window of opportunity for all war like strategies in mp is very short. It is often difficult to have an advantage that is so deceisive against your neighbor, but not always which is what makes war in civ costly and almost a last resort.

Comment

Not exactly the most efficient warfare machine, but...

I like to mix planes (bombers AND fighters) into my blitz strats. I'll send the planes through to clear out any stray untis that could pose a problem to a land invasion. The fighters can take care of any stray bombers.

[off-topic]
                      Mercantile, I just learned, in my AP European History course, about mercantilism. Do you use this form of economics in your civ playing?

Although I know I'm not 100% dead on, for all those who are clueless about mercantilism... This was at the time when precious metals were being mined from North/South America and being shipped back to Europe, and countries would buy armies/palaces and whatnot with the gold bullion they were receiving. Louis XIV and his economist (of the time period) Colbert adopted the policy that a country should hoard all the bullion that it possibly can. You should only export goods, and never import goods. In this way you would eventually gather all the bullion from the other countries. If you absolutely had to import a good, than it would be ideal to buy it in raw material form, and then make the finished good on your own and sell it at a profit. But in the meantime, you have to become a self-sufficient country, i.e., you have to make EVERYTHING that your people will demand. In the short run this worked well, as France became the leading industrial nation of the time and became relatively self sufficient. Unfortunately for the Sun King, a few bad harvests and a seemingly endless parade of wars led to virtual bankruptcy and massive starvation among the peasantry.

Granted in real life this policy failed, but could it be applied to civ?
                      [/off-topic]

I probably should have just started a new topic....

------------------
                      SandMonkey

"Shut up brain or I'll stab you with a qtip"
                      -Homer Simpson

"Ecky ecky ecky!"
                      "It's just a flesh wound!"
                      - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Check out my 1602 A.D. site

Comment

in SP yes in MP no... i suck at MP so i am often just scrambling for territory and lagging waaaaay behind in tech. MP and x2prod are a waaaaaaay different game, quite boggling to say the least.

------------------
                        Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?

Comment

Howies are too strong.

How do players defend against them in MP (assuming any MP game gets that far)?

Comment

I, too, rarely attack twice with my Nemesis units - until a city is taken that is. I use the rails to attack once and then withdraw so as to wear down any well defended city. Once a city is ripe to fall, I take it, letting the partisans have squares either next to the city itself or next to forts that I have occupied with mech infantry. Then the howies move into the city or the forts ready to use their remaining attack to kill off the pesky partisans as soon as they appear.

I like to keep the howies at full strength (to preserve two full movement points at all times) so rest any that get bruised along the way.

It can pay to attack the partisans immediately because if you interpose a move with another piece the A1 may sue for peace and, if you are a democracy, the doves may win the vote - thus letting the partisans live for the time it takes to provoke another fracas. But they won't be pillaging so, even then, no great harm is done.
                            [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited November 10, 2000).]

Comment

Nice description of mercantilism, SandMonkey.

What happened in Spain, by way of contrast, is that they simply used the huge amounts of gold that came in from the New World to fund a higher standard of living and dynastic empire building. It is argued that the long term social effect was to create over-weening pride and to stiffle entrepreneurial spirit. So, when the gold ran out, the country went into a loooong decline (from which it has perhaps never really recovered).

I suspect that being fought over (and mercilessly pillaged) for years in the Napoleonic wars probably didn't help but the arguements are still persuasive.

But perhaps a Spanish Apolytoner could tell us how the effect of New World gold on their history is now viewed there?

I often do follow a policy in the game that is close to mercantilism. When doing so I confine trade to local routes between my own cities, demand tribute and stock up gold both to make AI bribery more difficult and to fund bribery of my own. I find that three or four trade route arrows per city is all that is needed to sustain an expanding and productive monarchy. And following that approach I am willing to trade with barb cities - which accept your goods but don't send any back - a pure application of the mercantilist idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X