No announcement yet.

Should I have done something different?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I have done something different?

Well, I'd built all the Wonders available, save for one or two that the AI snaffled on me, so I got the Great Library. Through the Great Library, I got several other techs, then bought some advances of my own, as a result of which, I am building railroads with settlers.
    Mind, I've also got Gunpowder, znd Leo's,so all my foot soldiers are Musketeers, and I'm building an ironclad, even though my other ships are still triremes, and the only caravels I've seen so far belong to barbarians.

And someone invented Magnetism, which put my Lighthouse out of business.

Now, should I have put off getting Railroads until I had Engineers to do the building? Or will it matter in the long run?

Or should I have worked at getting Navigation before railroads, in order to have a decent trading fleet?

Gametime, by the way, is in the early 900s AD.

Jim W

quote:

Originally posted by Jim W on 10-19-2000 02:10 PM
    Now, should I have put off getting Railroads until I had Engineers to do the building? Or will it matter in the long run?

depends on you empire size and the places you put your railroads in.

if you have 10 cities empire and you connected all your cities it is nice because it seems you are far away from the AI in science and that means that he dont really likes you.

I connect all my cities in the moment I can do it, faster and more profitable trade, better defence and of course faster movement.

railroads are good.

------------------
    That was another post in my long journey to KING.

Dammit Bulldog!
    Did you really had to PM me about Area25???

Comment

That would probably depend on what your economy is based upon right now. Is the bulk of your science and gold provided by caravans, or is it provided by your infrastructure. Also, what percentage of your caravans delivered travel by sea vs the overland route. With minimal infrastructure (roads, tax and science improvements) and a sea-based economy, you might want to go for navigation in the short term. On the other hand, if you have a strong infrastructure and/or your caravans travel by road/railroad overland to large AI cities, engineers would be the way to go.

My thought would be to go for the engineers since you will be able to build roads (more trade) quicker for the newer cities, as well as finish irrigation (faster growth) and other tile improvements more quickly. With more trade and more growth, you should have better science and be able to get other techs faster as well, including navigation.

One other thought - do you have Marco Polo's Embassy? It seems like the civ with navigation/magnetism isn't trading with the other AIs. Find out who has magnetism and try for a trade or a gift. With Leo's, you'll get caravels or frigates and galleons out of the deal.

------------------
      Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

What difficulty level are you playing? Not that that would make that much of a difference. How about world size?

Railroads are key to the latter stages of the game. If you're playing on a small world with one large continent, the thrill of sweeping from one end to the other with vet howitzers is exhilerating.

BTW. You didn't mention Darwin's. Are you going for that, too?

------------------
        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
        Frodo lives!

Comment

I would start railroads right away, and use Darwin's to get explosives. What level is this?

Comment

Jim - The Great Library is a non-event, except in rare cases. All it does is give you techs that slow down the research rate to your target advances.

One of the most popular ways of winning is to target Democracy and build SoL. Then you have the freedom of any government - depending on your overall goal. All the GL does is give you things like Warrior Code that slow down your progress.

Recently, I have felt there is a strong case for Navigation as early as possible. Magellan makes overseas trading more efficient. Caravels that move 5 and don't have to follow coastlines are a winning combination!

Railroads decrease the value of trade bonuses. To compensate I try and target The Corporation as soon possible after railroad.

I dislike having to build railroads with settlers! With Leo's I prefer Explosives before Railroad every time. Railroad is important - so don't delay it too long!

--------------

SG (2)
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Scouse Gits, caravels don't have to follow the coastline did you mean triremes?

------------------
              Do you shovel snow in your birkenstocks?

Comment

Jim W, I consider the acquisition of engineers to be one of the turning points of the game, especially if you have Leo. Having engineers instead of settlers will have a dramatic effect on your ability to improve infrastructure and terrain, so I generally make Explosives a priority technology.

Railroads make a tremendous difference in movement, as units are able cross the map using zero movement points. Unless your empire is spread across several islands, your technology path should go through explosives and then to railroads. I usually prepare myself for railroads by making dozens of extra engineers beforehand so the rail network can be completed within a few turns.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SCG on 10-19-2000 02:31 PM
                  That would probably depend on what your economy is based upon right now. Is the bulk of your science and gold provided by caravans, or is it provided by your infrastructure. Also, what percentage of your caravans delivered travel by sea vs the overland route. With minimal infrastructure (roads, tax and science improvements) and a sea-based economy, you might want to go for navigation in the short term. On the other hand, if you have a strong infrastructure and/or your caravans travel by road/railroad overland to large AI cities, engineers would be the way to go.

My thought would be to go for the engineers since you will be able to build roads (more trade) quicker for the newer cities, as well as finish irrigation (faster growth) and other tile improvements more quickly. With more trade and more growth, you should have better science and be able to get other techs faster as well, including navigation.

One other thought - do you have Marco Polo's Embassy? It seems like the civ with navigation/magnetism isn't trading with the other AIs. Find out who has magnetism and try for a trade or a gift. With Leo's, you'll get caravels or frigates and galleons out of the deal.

Well, at the point where I first wrote, (and now, for that matter) I only have contact with one AI city, so my trade has all been internal. I have five cities on one medium sized island, and a couple of other cities on other islands.

I like the financial advantage that being a Republic or Democracy gives me, but I don't want to go there too soon, since if you're a democrat, you can't chase the AI off if he parks on your fields or mines.

On the other hand, I've found that a situation like this, where I own a whole island, aloows me to go Democrat quite nicely, so long as I guard my coastlines against encroachment.

Jim W

Comment

Mercantile - I suggest you read my post again!
                    --------
                    SG (2)
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jim W on 10-20-2000 12:01 AM
                      Well, at the point where I first wrote, (and now, for that matter) I only have contact with one AI city, so my trade has all been internal. I have five cities on one medium sized island, and a couple of other cities on other islands.

I like the financial advantage that being a Republic or Democracy gives me, but I don't want to go there too soon, since if you're a democrat, you can't chase the AI off if he parks on your fields or mines.

On the other hand, I've found that a situation like this, where I own a whole island, aloows me to go Democrat quite nicely, so long as I guard my coastlines against encroachment.

Jim W

So Marco Polo was one of the wonders the AI built? Sounds like navigation should be a priority. You are confining yourself in both trade and in exploration/expansion. As for rep/demo, you don't have to talk to someone when they land (first contact), so you can kill them. As a backup, you can always attempt to goad them into war, or even recruit them to your side

------------------
                      Sleep is a luxury and I don't have Shakespeare's Theatre in my back yard.
                      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 10-19-2000 07:07 PM
                        Jim - The Great Library is a non-event, except in rare cases. All it does is give you techs that slow down the research rate to your target advances.

--------------

SG (2)

I'd heard this before, though I'm not quite sure how it works. I will say thast I've had as good or better success without the GL, as I've had with it.

Jim W

Comment

Probably means if you run a half decent research program The Great Library only gives 2 or 3 techs to you.Those coming early and adding turns to a more crucial research goal at the time.

Since you are in small isolated perfectionist mode the engineer upgrade(the best one IMO) is not so important.With 5 cities,there is not a huge amount of land to work.This upgrade can makes Leo's worthwhile on it's own.But with 5 cities and maybe 5 settlers its not make or break.

Like wise RRs are not as neccessary but you do want want to connect and RR sheild squares.

With Leo's its generally a good plan to get Explosives fairly quickly.Engineers work much faster.

The good upgrades I want are
                          >muskets
                          >engineers-the best
                          >boats-cept ironclad>destroyer
                          if waring
                          >all horses
                          any thing else is bonus

I would get to Dem asap and just ship caravans/freights."we love" asap.Make my island into a fortress and trading company.

The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

At deity, I consider GL to be one of the seminal wonders along with SETI and either MC or BC for happiness. All others I'll play without, if I must. (AS and Da Vinci's are also important.) This lets me concentrate my cities on production, vice trade. Also lets me play with tax rates depending on circumstance. I almost always go from pretty close regarding mix of techs, based on other civs tech trade offers, to "We're # 1 in science!" while LOWERING the science rate.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                            X