Fergus' strategy tip for the day..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fergus' strategy tip for the day..

....is: When you have a good plan, and it's working stick to it!

I start in a beautiful map site, with rivers, whales and trade specials all over, isolated on a large continent, and with a great mix of production and fod resources. I say to myself "Here, numbskull, is a great site for a mega trading and science strategy aimed at a personal-best early spaceship."

Things go well. I secure early wonders. I gift techs, my rate is 4 turn per at Writing!! I build caravans, and trade with the French. I have 2000 in the bank and a huge tech lead in no time. Under 60% luxuries, I am still only burning 30G a turn (caravans over-compensating) and have 6-7 turns of science effort, and WLTCD all over the place.

But what's this. The French are getting stomped by the Persians. No matter, I make peace with the Persian units who are wandering around my trade route. But they sneak attack!! I lose 7 caravans in 2 turns (stupid stacking, then could not run away quick enough). Still no matter - I find another trade partner.

But then I get mad at the sneaky little Persians, and decide to stomp them and their poxy 10 city empire. I buld a huge armada and army, but somehow use up all the diplomats (I swear I dont know where they went). I blow countless turns in Fundy, and tons of units, and I still have not captured one city. As I saved last night, I had just got the walls down.

It is 1752. I have wasted about 200 years on a pathetic and unsuccesful fit of pique. Grrr.

Fortunately, I have a save game from 700bc, from which to try again.

LOL. It is easy to get diverted. 200 years in Fundy won't help you beat your previous personal best, I suspect. But war is so tempting ...
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
    X